Need advice from someone who lives in Tampa or Orlando area please

Susan2771

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if I can get some feedback from a local resident please. If we were to leave Royal Pacific Resort at 8:30 A.M. on a Friday, do you think we would make it to Tampa airport by 11:00 A.M? The price difference to fly out of Tampa is a $1,600 savings. Are we giving ourselves a comfortable travel window of 2.5 hours to make it to Tampa airport though from Orlando with morning traffic? Thanks so very much in advance :love:

I was wondering if I can get some feedback from a local resident please. If we were to leave Royal Pacific Resort at 8:30 A.M. on a Friday, do you think we would make it to Tampa airport by 11:00 A.M? The price difference to fly out of Tampa is a $1,600 savings. Are we giving ourselves a comfortable travel window of 2.5 hours to make it to Tampa airport though from Orlando with morning traffic? Thanks so very much in advance :love:
Downtown Orlando here! I would encourage you to leave earlier than that. The drive is approximately 75 min without traffic.

A 7 AM departure would help you arrive there before the real start of morning traffic. I wouldn't encourage leaving any later than that though. You would arrive at the airport around 8:30-9 and have the recommended 2 hrs for security etc.

Leaving at 8:30, assuming you had no traffic, you would arrive around 10 am. 1 hour is cutting it close.

Downtown Orlando here! I would encourage you to leave earlier than that. The drive is approximately 75 min without traffic.

A 7 AM departure would help you arrive there before the real start of morning traffic. I wouldn't encourage leaving any later than that though. You would arrive at the airport around 8:30-9 and have the recommended 2 hrs for security etc.

Leaving at 8:30, assuming you had no traffic, you would arrive around 10 am. 1 hour is cutting it close.
Thank-you so very much for the response. I really do appreciate your feedback. The flight leaves at 2:26. I like to play it super safe and get to the airport early. Probably a tad too early but we would need to refill the gas tank, and from what I recall with the Tampa airport, the rental car depot is no longer across from the terminal but you need to take a train. We could enjoy lunch at the airport without feeling stressed about time. So it does seem doable then to make it safely by 11 with a 90 minute depending on traffic commute. Thanks again DCLCruiseFan09 :)

Thank-you so very much for the response. I really do appreciate your feedback. The flight leaves at 2:26. I like to play it super safe and get to the airport early. Probably a tad too early but we would need to refill the gas tank, and from what I recall with the Tampa airport, the rental car depot is no longer across from the terminal but you need to take a train. We could enjoy lunch at the airport without feeling stressed about time. So it does seem doable then to make it safely by 11 with a 90 minute depending on traffic commute. Thanks again DCLCruiseFan09 :)
AH! I assumed your flight Left at 11. My apologies!

Have a safe trip!

Have you thought about staying at an airport hotel in Tampa the night before? Would be way less stressful even with giving yourself plenty of time. My parents used to live in Lakeland and I4 is just such a pain almost always but especially during rush hour.

Have you thought about staying at an airport hotel in Tampa the night before? Would be way less stressful even with giving yourself plenty of time. My parents used to live in Lakeland and I4 is just such a pain almost always but especially during rush hour.
Well, my husband and daughters have overruled me. While I am positive, we can make it to Tampa for the flight on the Friday, they have voted to fly out of Tampa on the Saturday. We will take our time making our way to Tampa on the Friday afternoon and enjoy some more rides at Universal on the Friday morning. Thank-you both for the input :-)

from what I recall with the Tampa airport, the rental car depot is no longer across from the terminal but you need to take a train.
FYI…there is a train involved but, it’s a very speedy process.

What is the SkyConnect?
The SkyConnect is Tampa International Airport’s new people-mover. It connects the Main Terminal to the Economy Garage and the new Rental Car Center.

How long does it take to get between the Main Terminal and the Rental Car Center?
Less than five minutes, and that includes the stop time at the Economy Garage

How often do trains come?
Trains arrive at each station roughly every two minutes. That means if you have just missed the train, you will wait about two minutes for the next one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter