Need advice: Getting a GAC without emphasizing stigma

Wow, I never thought about checking the disabilities board out even though my DS (age 14 has AS) We last went to WDW the week after Christmas 2004. We were at MK one day and they were filled to capacity! I allowed DS to go, on his own to check a few things out. We have been there many a time and he knows his way around. I was busy with my DM, who was in a wheelchair. DS was not listening when I told him what time and where to meet us. There, on Main St., when we finally met up, he had a meltdown!

I was not aware of GAC. We are going in June (just the 2 of us this time around) and I will difinately check this out!

TC :cool1:

As an adult with an anxiety-based mental illness, I travel alone. I have never asked for a GAC because it does seem stigmatizing. I usually travel at uncrowded times and avoid the big events.

Once I got caught in the crowd for the parade and fireworks. I was crying and desperately trying to find a way out of the park. I found a cast member who was keeping people out of the roped off areas and simply said "I feel trapped and need to find a way out of the park." She told me to turn around and head away from the crowd back into Fantasyland. She must have radioed someone because there was a security guard there to meet me.

What a great thread! Thanks for recovering it and bumping it up. I learn so much here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter