Need DIS Dad Advice - surprise trip for husband's 40th

jonellrc

Earning My Ears
We are huge Disney fans...my husband talks about Disney on a daily basis. So I just booked a surprise trip for his 40th birthday. We are telling him on his birthday (10 days before we leave).

I want to make this trip about him. We are going when it's hot and crowded (not our typical time to travel) and he doesn't do too well in either situation. So my plan is to hit the pool and relax (he loves to read) every afternoon. We are going 3 times this year so we won't feel the need to be in the parks 24/7.

We have lots of little guys so as much as we love our trips they aren't exactly relaxing. I really want to make sure this trip is great for him and quite possibly even a little bit relaxing.

So any suggestions? Was thinking of planning one thing per day just for him. We are staying at SSR...maybe some sort of spa service? boat rental? any ideas?? I booked a date night for us without the kids...but nothing else yet.

Sounds great already! :thumbsup2:

Just let him decide how the day will go. Unless he really needs structure, just some time with the family will probably make his day no matter what you do.

Personally, I relish the times that DW and I are able to spend time alone together like the date night dinner that you have planned. :thumbsup2 I wouldn't be into the spa thing but he might be.

Depending on how much you want to spend, there are lots outside the parks opportunities like the boat rentals, fishing excursion, fireworks cruises, golf, Cirque du Soleil, Richard Petty driving experience.

Anytime that we have done something new at Disney has been an exciting thing for me. A new dining experience, visiting a resort property that we have never been to, mini-golf, or a day at one of the water parks. I would love to do the Behind the Steam Trains tour one day.

With all that said, try not to over plan things. I'm sure that he will be happy just being at Disney and with his family. And make sure to get him one of the Birthday buttons to wear so all of the cast members can help make his day a bit more special as well!

The Richard Petty Driving Experience, Disney Quest, boat rental or fishing excursion, maybe one of the tours like Keys to the Kingdom, let him Drink Around the World in Epcot. :lmao:

Where were you last week when I turned 40?? :lmao::lmao:

I think the thing that caught my eye was the date night without the kids... If you do that up right that could be a big hit... I'm talking about something like dinner at the California Grill, moonlit walk down Main Street hand-in-hand, buy him a Mickey head ice cream bar... :cloud9:
For me... I would have LOVED to do the Richard Petty Driving Experience. :cool2: Between the nice alone time with my DW and the driving experience I think you could stick a fork in me and call me done! The rest would be cake :cake: :rotfl:

Great trip!

I'll second Don's (Emma's Dad) ideas for a romantic night. California Grill with stroll sounds great. How about capped off with a night time cruise to watch the fireworks?

I'll second the Richard Petty Driving experience. If not the Rookie Experience, the Ride-Along is fun too.

Or maybe a tour? The Segway Tour is fun and not too strenuous for those of us who aren't in the best shape.

Whatever you do, it'll be a winner! Great job!

Fishing Excursion. Richard Petty (I like to drive, so I do the Kings Experience). Fireworks Cruise. One on one dinner. :thumbsup2

Something indoors for the whole family would be nice. Try the Pirates Dinner Theater, The Blue Man Group, or Cirque De Solei. the Polynesian Luau show is nice too!

I like Emma's Dad's response... a little "him" time and a little "couple"time, and then a truly memorable "family time" event, and I don't know about your Disney Dad, but this Disney Dad would feel like living another 40 just to do it again! :thumbsup2

Him time
  • The Richard Petty Ride Along is fairly inexpensive and a lot of fun!
  • Maybe he could go on a Backstage Tour like Wild Africa Trek, or the Aqua Seas Snorkel in Epcot
  • Maybe he could go a see a "guy" flick at the dine-in theater... we had a blast doing that our last trip

Couple Time
Okay, I don't know about your hubby, but in my book, nothing's better for a date night than Good Company (that's you) and Good Food! Do you feel like you 2 would like a dining "experience"? If so, the Chef's table type experiences are one of my fav experiences.
  • You can dine with an imagineer at Flying Fish, or Chef's Tables at Kouzzina's or Citrico's.
  • They may even still do a dinner over at AK with an animal expert (at Sanaa I think)

Family Time
You mentioned you will be there when it's hot! If you have never been to one of the WDW water parks, maybe this would be a great family time and a great time to be cool! We absolutely love the waterparks.

Or maybe one of the dinner shows like the Luau at Poly or Mickey's BBQ, or best of all, Hoop de Doo! Yeehaa!

Just know that the fact you are trying to do something special is probably more than enough... you really can't go wrong at Disney, can you??

Have Fun! party:

If he is smart and lets you make the decisions, this should go very well for you. If he likes having a say in plans, forget the surprise and let him in on the plans now.

Sometimes, my Kali goes to such great lengths to surprise me with something, it turns out awkward. I'm well trained, though (my fault, dear).

If you are like us, you plan the parks for the kids (for the most part). This is fine except taht you may end up missing some rides because the kids are too small, maybe ride too scary, etc. You may want to make sure that he will be able to go on one of his favorite rides that he may not be able to go on otherwise (even if it is a single rider).

Cirque Du Soleil is a fantastic show,
Other than that, I think the other DisDad's hit it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter