Need help choosing dates to visit - end of June or early July 2024

Starwind

DIS Veteran
Canadian here. Have never been to DLP (or France).

I have just found out that work is sending me to Lyon for a meeting that is taking place July 2-4. I of course thought - and my manager asked - "how far is DLP" and... well... now I am planning on adding on some days at my own expense and visiting DLP !! And when my sister, who lives with me and is my Disney travel companion, found out, she said "you are not going to DLP without me!". So apparently she is coming along on the trip ! Realistically, this will be the only time we will ever visit DLP.

I will probably be making a number of posts in the next several days as I try to figure things out. Normally when I plan a WDW or DCL trip we are planning 1 to 2 YEARS out. We've done 9 DCL cruises and numerous WDW trips, so those are old hat. Right now, for DLP I feel like a deer caught in headlights and the oncoming vehicle is a semi-truck !

Our most immediate issue is DATES. We think we want 3 nights, and plan to stay at a DLP hotel (leaning to Sequoia, as Wilderness Lodge is our favourite at WDW, and considering a Golden Forest Club Room, but hotel and room type still undecided).

We will arrive early in the morning of the first day from Lyon by either plane to CDG or direct train from Lyon, and depart in the afternoon or evening on the last day the same way back to Lyon.

We can do DLP either before or after the meeting. So I am looking at these dates as options:

27 June - 30 June (Thursday - Sunday) (this would give July 1 in Lyon to rest and explore before the meeting
28 June - 1 July (Friday - Monday)
5 July - 8 July (Friday - Monday)

I would prefer to minimize crowds if possible.

Since all the possible dates are over weekends, how bad are weekends crowd-wise ?

Normally when we visit WDW we have gone at some of the lowest crowd times not near any holidays or major events; early December and in January or February.

We are considering purchasing the Disney Premier Access Ultimate for at least one of the full days we are there, and would take advantage of the early morning hours for hotel guests. I can't do roller coasters, but my sister likes them. At WDW I would have a DAS pass but I don't have the kind of documentation that DLP requires to get their equivalent. I would also normally use an ECV but won't at DLP, so I think we are going to be seriously pacing and taking mid-day breaks back at the hotel (another reason to stay at a DLP hotel).

We are not going to be doing any sightseeing in Paris and minimal in Lyon and nothing elsewhere - if we do the 27-30 we would have 1 July to do some sightseeing in Lyon; plus, my sister will be finding something to do while I am in 3 days of meetings.

Any suggests or thoughts regarding helping us choose dates (or other related thoughts) are gratefully accepted !

THANK YOU !

Starwind

We were at DLP 7/6-7/11 last year and found crowds manageable. We were surprised that it wasn’t more crowded. We did spend some of the weekend in the city though to avoid those days.

I don’t think there will be much difference between the two time frames. However, I would suggest to do DLP after the meeting. Jet lag will bother you the first few days and especially flying that way, getting up early will be difficult as for your body 7 am European time is the middle of the night.

Weekends are much worst than weekdays, unfortunately, but if it's your only option, you can still manage. I find that crowds don't really pick up until around 10:30-11:00, you can do A LOT just rope dropping the hotel early entry.
For this very reason, I don't recommend to buy the Ultimate package: it includes rides that you can easily do with minimal wait during early entry or at some point during the day. Just buy a la carte when you need it, you'll save a lot or just re ride multiple times your favorites. The only I can recommend to buy is Crush, too much of a hassle to do standby.

A BIG word of caution about the Sequoia Lodge. It's a lovely hotel and one of my favorites. It's by the same architect as WL and it'll remind you that. But it's not the WL, at all. It lacks the grandiose lobby and the rooms are smaller. Most of all, it's nicely themed, but it won't feel like being in a National park, away from the hustle and bustle of the MK. And it's the equivalent of a Moderate, not a Deluxe.
Do not expect the WL or you'll be disappointed.

Pro tip: bring a multi socket extension (and socket adapter), to charge all your gadgets.

If you do not have the paperwork for a priority card, did you look into the list of conditions for an easy access card? That requires a doctor's note with the number of the condition. No further explanation required.
It won't help with shows, but it will help with rides.

Why wouldn't you use an ECV? The main park has the same amount of rides as the US equivalent, but there is more ground to cover.

Summer School Holidays in France start on 6 July 2024, so while I agree wit the jetlag comment, I think going before the school break will mean lower crowd levels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter