Need Help Choosing Resort - OKW or BCV

ell13

Mouseketeer
I wasn't sure where to post this, because my choice has many factors beyond just comparing the two resorts: Old Key West and Beach Club Villas. Here is my situation:

We are going to Disney World this January for Race Weekend. DW and I are doing the Dopey Challenge, and DMiL is doing the Half. It will be our third time running the marathon, and we've found that we get much more out of the trip if we stay a few days later rather than arriving early. That puts our current dates at 1/7 - 1/16. There are 7 adults going (Me, wife, her brother, her parents, and her grandparents one of whom requires a scooter) total along with our 1-year-old son so we know we're getting a 2BR. On to the dilemma...

Pros of OKW
  • OKW offers more space. That's a huge plus for us with so many adults, one with a scooter, and an infant. It's more like a condo here than an apartment like everywhere else.
  • OKW would allow us to stay an extra night. This isn't a deal breaker, but the current dates leave me with 33 points left over. I would just have to get 3 more to stay a little longer, and who wouldn't want that?!
  • OKW feels most like home. My parents have had DVC since 1994 and we always stayed here. I now own SSR, but it's just not quite the same.

Pros of BCV
  • BCV is the most desirable location. This almost trumps its small size. EPCOT is our favorite park. We plan to spend the most of our time there (we're almost forced to since every race ends in the parking lot). It's also within walking distance of HS and so close to BW. The bonus here is that it gives us the luxury of taking a quick break for DS and the grandparents (and us!) without needing the transportation system.
  • The only two resorts I've ever stayed at are OKW and SSR. I'm ready to try something new and BCV has always been at the top of the list.
  • Many of our "race friends" are also staying at BC. They're not DVC members, but many of the people we train with already have BC booked. Staying together makes planning and doing things much simpler.

So what would you do? Both places have their perks and I'm finding it tough to lean either way. Right now, we have OKW booked and are wait-listing BCV since the first few nights were already taken.

Thanks!

It sounds to me like you have thought this through and, honestly, will be happy at either location.

That being said, and as an owner at BCV, I think you will be happier at OKW for the single reason of the number of adults you have.
The amount of space at OKW would trump everything for me with that many adults! Also, I don't know what your sleeping plans are for your one year old, but a pack 'n play fits wonderfully in the laundry room at OKW (I'm speaking from experience here ;))

A few years ago we stayed at BCV in a 2 bedroom with our 3 kiddos (we now have 4) and my aunt and uncle joined us for a few nights -- it was tight. The 2 bedroom is perfect for our family, but not the extra guests. OKW will also have more space for the scooter.

Add in the bonus of an extra night and I would pick OKW hands down!

Save BCV for your next trip, it's not going anywhere!

Hope you and your family have a wonderful trip!

There are 7 adults going (Me, wife, her brother, her parents, and her grandparents one of whom requires a scooter) total along with our 1-year-old son so we know we're getting a 2BR.

Your answer is OKW. I can't imagine 7 adults in any 2BR but at least OKW would give you considerably more space to be in. And you would know that your second bedroom would have two actual beds whereas at BCV you'd have to hope that the 2BR dedicated (with 2 beds) is available.

Hey, you asked for opinions, right? :)

I would definitely choose BCV! This is because the cherry on top is the pool! It's a sand bottom pool with its own little lazy river and it's not open to pool hopping. If I had a choice given all the info, I'd choose BCV.

I haven't stayed at OKW, but I have stayed at BCV & BC. I loved being so close to Epcot & Studios. We enjoyed walking around the Boardwalk. The pool is really fun!

You made great "pro" lists. Have you thought of any "cons"?

Thanks everyone for the great responses.

Obviously, the big draw to OKW is the size. But I've gone camping with this group before, and for the most part, the resort is just a place to sleep to them. No one complains as long as there is a place to put their head at night. That being said, who wouldn't want a little extra comfort, right?

And the big draw to BCV is the location. But who's to say we would take full advantage? It's not like it's that much more of a hassle to get from OKW to EPCOT, HS, or even BW. But who wouldn't want more convenience with a 1yo in tow?

I haven't stayed at OKW, but I have stayed at BCV & BC. I loved being so close to Epcot & Studios. We enjoyed walking around the Boardwalk. The pool is really fun!

You made great "pro" lists. Have you thought of any "cons"?

Pretty much every "pro" for one is a "con" for the other.

@OKW, we're limited to the buses except for DTD. Depending on how we address our stroller and scooter needs, it could get tedious. And I've stayed at this resort more than any other.

@BCV, we're going to be packed into a 2BR and we don't have an option for the 10th night.

:) We have just found that we are spending more and more time relaxing at the resort ( AKV owners), because of the that the room at OKW would be awesome but the pool at BCV would be top notch...glad I do not have to make that decision. We just love AKV and even with other resort amenities are just always happiest there. Best wishes in you decision making.

Could you get points at both and alternate years? Best of both worlds.

Could you get points at both and alternate years? Best of both worlds.
We're pretty young and just starting out. We got our foot in to door with 150 SSR points resale. This is our first trip using our own points. My parents have over 400 at OKW that they've accumulated since '94. This year, they're trying something different and renting out 2 years worth to pay for a Mediterranean cruise (the retired life!)

Being so young, we just weren't comfortable buying a contract that expires in 2042: 12 fewer years and 30% more expensive. We hope to one day add points, possibly at VGF.

As for my current predicament (not that it really is one), I think I'll keep my BVC wait lists active and just let luck take it. Our chances were already slim with it being marathon weekend, so there's a good chance we'll remain at OKW regardless of preference. My real worry is how I'm going to survive 48.6 miles in 4 days!

I love the space at OKW, but I think with that many adults it depends on where you are staying at OKW. Buildings numbered 30 (maybe it is 29) and below have the bathrooms in each bedroom, no access for those in the living room. Those over number 30 do have a doorway through the laundry room to the shared master bath, which BCV would have as well. You would also need to make sure you were on the ground floor or in the couple of buildings that are HA and have the elevators. If you can get those, then OKW offers a great space at a great value.

I am very partial to OKW and think that would be a great choice. The spaciousness would trump all else for me. But both resorts have much to recommend them....you can't really lose!

I haven't checked availability, but that might make the decision for you. BCV is a MUCH harder resort to get, and considering the popularity of race weekend, you may HAVE TO stay at OKW. That being said, I adore OKW, DH would be happy if this were the only resort we ever stayed at. For me, between OKW and BCV, I'd probably have such a hard time choosing!

I haven't checked availability, but that might make the decision for you. BCV is a MUCH harder resort to get, and considering the popularity of race weekend, you may HAVE TO stay at OKW. That being said, I adore OKW, DH would be happy if this were the only resort we ever stayed at. For me, between OKW and BCV, I'd probably have such a hard time choosing!
i
If your trip is longer than 6 days, consider a split stay. Once we started. Doing split stays, we can't imagine staying in one place.

I was waitlisting BCV. The first 4 days if my stay are already blacked out there.

I've never considered a split stay before. It's not something my parents ever did. And I'm reluctant to try it for the first time with such a large group.

But to update everyone, I've settled on OKW for the whole stay and even added a day at the end. So now it's 10 nights instead of 9. Thanks to all for the help and advice!!!

I was waitlisting BCV. The first 4 days if my stay are already blacked out there.

I've never considered a split stay before. It's not something my parents ever did. And I'm reluctant to try it for the first time with such a large group.

Split stays are easier than you may think. The morning you move, you pack everything up, and we do it pretty loosely. I bring a couple of extra soft bags to make it quick. Call bell services and they come get everything. If you have bags that need to go into the refrigerator or freezer, point them out, and they'll be kept cold or frozen. Spend your day at the parks, and when you get to your new resort, call bell services, and they bring the bags to your room. I usually tip both set of bell services. We do them routinely now, because it's easier to get less than a week at 7 months, and we concentrate our activities on the areas around each resort, so it cuts down on inner WDW travel.

t
Try it next trip!

We just returned from an 11 day trip at BC and it is now my favorite DVC resort, knocking AKV off the mantle. SAB was just awesome and the proximity to parks is also a great perk. We loved the short walk to Epcot (our favorite park). Plus at night time it's so nice with the Boardwalk in the background.

We stayed in a 1 BR and I'll admit it seemed smaller than other DVC's and the bathroom situation was a little dopey with all those doors. But, other than that we loved the place.We stayed at OKW once before and it was a lovely resort but we felt it was kind of sleepy and boring.

At OKW, most buildings only have stairs. If you have a scooter in your group , make sure you get a medical exception added to your reservation for ground floor or a building with elevator.

Split stays are easier than you may think. The morning you move, you pack everything up, and we do it pretty loosely. I bring a couple of extra soft bags to make it quick. Call bell services and they come get everything. If you have bags that need to go into the refrigerator or freezer, point them out, and they'll be kept cold or frozen. Spend your day at the parks, and when you get to your new resort, call bell services, and they bring the bags to your room. I usually tip both set of bell services. We do them routinely now, because it's easier to get less than a week at 7 months, and we concentrate our activities on the areas around each resort, so it cuts down on inner WDW travel.

t
Try it next trip!
We've starting talking about it! It's definitely something we will consider if we don't get full availability at the place we'd like to stay. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter