Need help - how to attach patches to bomber jacket?

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
brenton_brnGA.jpg

I posted on the CB but probably should have posted here first.

I'm making my 10yo son a bomber jacket similar to the one above. I have the leather jacket but I need to get the patches put on. MIL had planned to sew them on but when she looked at jacket last night, she saw it had a beautiful, authentic "map" lining and didn't want to rip it to sew the patches on. She feels we need to find another way to get them on and suggested using fabric glue.

This type of thing is not my forte ;) but I did buy some fabric glue at Michaels last night figuring I'd attempt to glue them on, but then I wondered if that was the best way, and thought that maybe I should ask my Dis friends for advice. (I guess other possibilities are sewing them on from the front or hand sewing them, I really have no idea.)

I got this beautiful - older but in perfect condition - jacket at a flea market for $8. It took two weeks and cost $40 :eek: to dry clean but it came out very nice. We have a great collection of patches which are significant for DS's interests and family background - my father drove a tank in WWII, we have an army tank patch; DH's great uncle was a navy photographer, we have some of his patches, etc. It'll be really great when it's done.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I don't want to ruin it! :worried:

Sounds like a great project when it'll be done and an amazing collectible. All things considering have you thought of taking it to a tailor to have the patches attached? Maybe a clothier who specializes in leather might have one on staff?

Thanks. Yes, I'm going to look into that this week. MIL felt she could do it until she saw the lining. I was hoping to have it for Christmas.

Update: I visited three tailors today and none of them could do it. I have another I'm going to check with tomorrow but I'm not hopeful. :sad1: Some thought gluing was not a good idea. One said they may have to be handsewn. I am looking for people who specialize in leather alterations now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter