Need help in planning Jan trip

pandora174

DIS Veteran
Hi, usually I lurk the Disney forums but for the first time in a few years we're planning a Universal vacation & I'm getting really excited. We're headed the 2nd week of Jan. to Universal. We're my husband, then 2 year old son & myself. I'm expecting cold weather & of course not a whole lot for the baby to do in IOA but since my husband is a huge roller coaster freak & it's his 37th b-day it's all about him. Hoping to do more stuff at US since the baby is not scared of anything. My question is what hotel to stay in ? We stayed about 3 years ago at the PBH (loved it !) & we're thinking about the HRH but the RPR also looks nice. Any suggestions ? & do you really still get front of the line access ? Also we were thinking of getting AP passes ? I'll have my travel agent look for codes via either Entertainement rate or AP rates. When should I start booking ? Any suggestions of not to miss restaurants or new rides in the last 3 years or so ? We're thinking of spending 6 nights so it's a relaxing vacation & adding some days at Seaworld too. Is this too many days ?

Any suggestions are most appreciated !! :tongue:

There are no codes for the Entertainment rate. You need to call the hotels and ask. Try 1-800 BeAStar and ask if the Entertainment rate, AP rate, AAA, rate, or any other discounts are available for the dates you want. I doubt the Entertainment rates for January are out yet though. All three hotels are wonderful and all three get you FOTL.
Several attractions have opened in the last three years--Shrek, Jimmy Neutron, the Mummy.
Not to miss restaurant in my opinion is MYTHOS is IOA. It's the BEST!!

We will be staying at the RPR from 8th Jan for 2 weeks so I obviously recomend the RPR but to be honest u cant go wrong with any onsite hotel but I personally prefer the theming at RPR
:jester:

We stayed at HRH last MLK (16th-19th)weekend (4 days) and the weather was surprisingly warm - I'd say in the mid-60's to low 70's - although I did wear my suit down to the pool, I only used the hot tub - but there were quite a few people swimming (keep in mind it was 13 degrees in NJ when we left!!)- we had rain only one very cool morning of the trip. With FOTL we practically walked onto everything and had no problem changing a few dining reservations last minute. We had late dinners/desserts (around 8) twice outside at The Kitchen and I know it was warm enough that we wanted to sit outside (and we had an infant with us!). Hope the weather next year is as great for you.

We had great meals at Mama Della's, The Kitchen, and Mythos!

The discount rates for Jan didn't come out until Nov last year (I know, I was checking daily since I had booked 5 rooms at rack rate!!) At the same time there was a great sale on Hotelkingdom.com and they had the best prices of all (216.- club level - I think the gardenview rooms were 142.)

In December we're staying at RPR again just because we got better rates and it's just my sister, me and our favorite little nephew - we know that he'll love the pool/water play area at RPR- but when I take my big kids it'll have to be HRH - they just loved it there! Good news is, you really can't go wrong and yes, so far you still get FOTL, don't think that'll go away for a while!:smooth:

You DH will be in roller coaster heaven at IOA !!!

AP passes are the way 2 go!! I booked in Jan for Oct and saved 102 a night on the club lev at the HRH. ( now there are no more rooms AT ALL, but thats prob because we are going for Halloween ) No, I dont think 6 nights is 2 long. as a matter of fact we were going to stay 6 nights at the HRH and only 3 @ Disney unil Disney came out with the 7 for 5 deal. now we switched to only 4 nights @ the HRH.

I agree with everyone else about Mythos!! this is not 2 be missed! the kitchen @ the HRH is good. we ate there for most meals last year ( 4 days ) However,we had a horrible expirence at Palms resterant... after being seated about an hour after our reservations, they brought the bread basket and I found a VERY LONG BROWN HAIR BAKED INTO MY BREAD!! ( I have short redhair and hubby, bless his heart; has not one strand ) When I informed the waiter, he acted like... what do you want me 2 do about it? needles to say, we left ( didnt want anymore suprises :mad: )

I have only stayed at the HRH, so I cant really help you there. It would really depend on what kind of room you want, and how much you want to spend.

good luck,
Kellie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter