• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need Help with DVD Player.

DawnCt

<font color=red>Loves Mr. Toad's Wild Ride<br><fon
We have a Sony, DVD/CD player with a 5 DVD turntable. It is three years old. Of course it cost more when we bought it than they do now. I noticed last night that it isn't "reading" the DVDs and is registering No Disc. Could it be that it needs cleaning and is there a cleaning disc that can do that? Is it worth having repaired or should I just buy a new one and consider it "disposable". I do not need another DVD player that holds that many discs so I could "downgrade". Any thoughts?

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever, but bumping up hoping someone does.

I would try buying the cleaner and seeing if that works.

Unfortunately it may be more cost effective to replace it. My guess is that it probably only needs a cleaning. If you bring it someplace to do that it'll be about $50. If you have to send it out, it will cost you $20 for shipping and $50 for the cleaning.

If it were me, I'd open it myself and clean it, but I'd only suggest that if you feel comfortable with electronics...(at this point you can't break it any more than it already is) I'd pay particular attention to where the laser is and stay clear of it. It could be something pretty simple, like alot of dust jamming the carousel mechanism, or one of the bands that spins the disc motor is jammed/broken. Use only computer type "air in a can", or denatured alcohol to clean the surfaces that look "dusty".

Good Luck!

You could try a cleaning disc, but I don't know how effective they are. If you were to buy another unit I would suggest getting the extended warranty at a Best Buy or Circuit City. I used to think those warranties were a rip-off, but the electronics companies seem to be making everything so cheaply anymore, they don't last four years(which is the length of the warranty).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter