• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need help?

xoxodisney

Earning My Ears
I went on a RC about 14 years ago and had a wonderful time. We have done 7 Disney cruises over the past 5 years. We are now looking at RC for January on Freedom of the Seas. I have a 16 yr old and 10 yr old both which love the clubs on Disney. What are the main differences between DCL and RC (besides characters) and will we feel "nickel and dimed" on the RC? Plus, how does the dining work? I have read that you can go to dinner anytime? Thanks for any help!!

I've only cruised on RC so I can't say about DCL. My kids loved the kids clubs (ages 3-14) and can't wait to go on Freedom in March. I didn't feel "nickel and dimed". Yes you do pay for a soda package ($4.50 per kid per day). You do need tickets for the ice shows and from what I read the entertainment is better on DCL but its not bad on RC. There really aren't any other charges that I can think of that would be different. Did your TA sign you up for My Time Dining (MTD)? They still have traditional seating (early and late) and MTD. The biggest difference with MTD is you pre-pay gratuity. My TA also strongly recommended reservations even with MTD so you don't have to wait (yes I realize that defeats the purpose of My Time). For my trip the early seating is 5:45 which is just to early for us. I'm hoping to make a reservation for around 6:15-7 every night.

We aren't going through a TA, we are just booking through RC. If you opt for the MTD do you have to eat at a different dining area? We have always had second seating on DCL which was 8:30 and we were good with it. If you want to have breakfast with the Dreamworks characters, is that included or separate charge or is it even offered on all cruises on the Freedom? Thanks for your response!!

I haven't done a character breakfast but it does look like there is a $10 charge. It looks like it is done on the Sea Days. If you want second seating, I would call and request it. I think it is at 8. Not sure where you are going but someone posted the Freedom's Compasses for the 7 night Eastern cruise on the Cruise Critic Freedom's forum. I've been looking at them to give me an idea of a few of the activities.

For a 10 and 16 y/o, I would definitely prefer the Freedom. Our grandsons are about the same age, and they spent most of their time in the clubs (ice skating, rock climbing, surfing, and playing basketball). We always do My Time Dining, and you can either make reservations in advance (before you board); make them for the next day once you are on board, or just show up when you want to eat. You're in the same dining room as first and second seating folks. The dining room on Freedom is three stories tall, and you'll be on the top floor (deck five). You no longer have to pre-pay gratuities. RCL changed that policy about two months ago. Other than the soda package - "Royal Refresh" (~$8/day for adults / $6 day for kids), the only other things onboard that are an additional cost are Character breakfasts, Johnny Rockets ($6 cover charge), and the specialty restaurants. Everything else that's free on Disney is also free on RCL. Not sure whether you're looking at the Eastern or Western itinerary, but if we were travelling with our grandsons, we'd do the Western itinerary - more port days, fewer sea days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter