I have heard different advice from disney cruise takers:

3 days in way too short, 4 is not much better, but 7 is too
long with young (9, 7) children.

there is not enough time to see the boat with 3 or 4 days,
however they said 7 days the kids get bored and feel trapped
on the boat.

any comments are appreciated as I am in the process of planning
a cruise in june of 2003.

We loved the 7 day. We have 2 kids, ages 11 and 3. Paying for nursery care was not the most fun for us, but we never felt trapped. Our oldest never tired of swimming on the ship and there were plenty of activities to keep us adults entertained each day. In fact, the "at sea" days were our favorite.

We just got back from a 3 day (w/o our youngest). Loved it...but too short. We used the day at Nassau just like an "at sea" day and stayed on the ship.

Our first cruise was the 4 day which was a great taster but WAY too short so second was 7 day Eastern which we enjoyed so much we did the 7 day Western! Our DD was 7, 8 and 9 respectively on each trip and I never heard her complain about being "trapped or bored". In fact, we had to prise her fingers from the handrails to get her off!
I think that 7 and 9 year olds probably have the best time of all (possibly except the adults when the kids are in programming! LOL) with so many activities, quality family time and meeting new friends - they've got it all!
I say go for it and have a ball!!!!!!!!

7 days is not too long with young kids. I just got back from a Princess cruise with my 4 year old. She cried on the last day of the cruise (she loved their great kids' program). She wanted to stay longer, lol.

I've been on a 3 day cruise (too short) and 2 seven day cruises. I think the 7 days are great. (never been on a Disney cruise though...this will be my first.)

we just got back with our 3 and 6 year olds from the 3-day. I think that was plenty for their age. It was short, but we found out that we could sleep that close together and still have a good time and no one got seasick. I would hate to be on a 7 day and find all of that out for the first time!

We are planning a 4 day two years from now because as much as I would like to do a 7 day, I think the sharing of such close sleeping quarters with the children and them being "trapped" on a boat for 7 days, would drive us all a little crazy and not be as relaxing as I would like :)

7 days is not too long with young kids. I just got back from a Princess cruise with my 4 year old. She cried on the last day of the cruise (she loved their great kids' program). She wanted to stay longer, lol.

I've been on a 3 day cruise (too short) and 2 seven day cruises. I think the 7 days are great. (never been on a Disney cruise though...this will be my first.)

Kids that were *bored* on the 7-day??? LOL!! I sure didn't see any, including, and especially, mine. :) (For reference, he was almost-6 for our first cruise this past February)

Seriously, those 7 days flew by so fast, I can't even fathom how people do the 3 or 4-day. If I had the $$, DS and I would be thrilled to do back-to-back 7-day cruises. :)

-gina-

I agree that the 3 and 4 day are too short, but I have never heard anyone say that the 7 day was too long!!! Just the opposite, our 18, 17 and 15 year olds love it and wish it were longer!!! They make so many friends and hubby and I just enjoy everything about the ship.

I'd go for 10 days if they had one that long!!!!

MJ

Hi!
I've done 2 4-dayers and 1 7-day (2nd 7-day is only 2 weeks away). I don't have kids but even 7 days isn't enough for me:D . If you are really concerned about feeling trapped on the ship, I would suggest taking the 7-day Western Cruise. It only has 2 full days at sea as opposed to the 3 days you get on the Eatern itinerary. Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time!!

I think a lot of it has to do with personal preference...

I think 3 day is way too short, unless you are just doing it for a nice long-weekend get-away, and you have cruised before and just want a quick cruise fix...

I would reccommend you do the 3 or 4 day if
1) You and/and or your kids have NEVER cruised before, and you have real concerns about getting sea sick, or clastrophobic...

2) You would REALLY miss getting to go to WDW...

3) If your kids are young and you are unsure if they would be able to handle the group activities/kids clubs. Especially if they haven't been to day care.

If these don't apply, then I would say, go for the 7 day! There is tons to do on the 4 day, and even more on a 7 day.

I don't think the 7 day would be too long for your kids. But if you had very young kids (like age 3 of 4 maybe), you might want to consider a 4 day instead.

Personally, I think they are all great, and the longer the better! :p

My twins have celebrated their 7, 8 and 9th birthdays on the cruise, and we have a surprise 3 day booked for their 10th. Our favorite so far is the 7 day cruise!

Debra

This trip will be my DD's 4th cruise and my 5th. Her 1st cruise was 5 day/4 night and was way too short...we just wanted to make sure she wouldn't get sea sick...apparently the kids rarely do... DD loves to cruise and there is just so much to do. I alway want to stay longer-I don't think 7 days is enough...DH's wallet disagrees! LOL!!

We (self, DW, DS9, DS7 & DD4) went in September for 7 days with 1 day before & after the cruise at WDW & it STILL wasn't enough for ALL of us.
Some of the days do get long but there was always something new so nobody wanted to leave the ship at the end of the cruise.

We first did a 3 day Nov 2001 and thought it too short; in January 2002 booked a 4 day for Nov 2002. Got the bug, though, so booked a 7 day for March 2002. Came back and changed our November 4 day for another 7 day. Can't get enough!!

Our kids were 9 and 11 on the first cruise. They've loved every minute of the two cruises we've taken and are very much looking forward to the next!! They were never bored. There's always something to do!!

Karen
Wonder 11/01
Magic 3/02
Magic 11/02

I needed a ten day cruise, so did my kids, 6 and 9. There was not enough pool time, not enough time to hit the activities in the kid's clubs, not enough time to hang at the pool, not enough time for relaxing sit-down lunches and breakfasts, way too short a character breakfast, not enough time to hang on deck four and play shuffle board, not enough time to attend the family shows, not enough time to sleep in so the little one could last until the evening shows, not enough time to ever stand in a character line, not enough time on St Martin, not enough time on St Thomas, and needed a WEEK just to sit on the beach at Castaway Cay..... Seven day BORED?????? NO WAY!

I cruised last Dec on Norwegian Western Carib for 4 nights and it was way too quick.
In 4.5 wks DH, DS10.5 and I leave for our Nov 30th cruise. I booked us on the Eastern Magic. First cruise ever for DH & DS. I cant wait to see their faces as we drive up to the ship! I honestly believe the way the days are 2 sea, 2 port, sea, port that none of us will be bored. I honestly wont be surprised if DH doesnt move out of his Deck 4 chair. DS will spend time in the room, Lab and movie theatre when he's not with us. Because of his age, we will do things together as a family, Mom & Kid, and each have their alone time.
We visited Disney last year for 9 nights, joined DVC in Nov last year. People ask if we are doing the 4 day cruise w/3 at Disney. I tell them "no, a week on the Magic!" We will have our time again for the parks but for now Im ready to make Magical memories!
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I just did a three day cruise last week...IMHO, a seven day is really the only way to go. You have lots more opportunity to enjoy the ship, and all the activities.

Go for the seven day. We've done the 3,4 and 7 day cruises, and we will be cruising on the 3 day Wonder in November and my children are disappointed we're not doing a 7 day cruise.

4 day 2000, 7 day 2001, 02, and have 7 day 2003 booked. After the 4 day taste of finding out what it was like we will always try to go on the 7 day. Grandkids are 7 and 8 now and have gone on every cruise with us. This year after vacation I asked the 8 yr. old what he wants to do next year, have taken the cruise and parks instead of just parks since 2000. His reply was back to back 7 day cruises, I asked him where all the money would come from, he told me I could have his $23 he didn't spend. Starting out at 5yrs and 6 yrs both love the cruise and are never bored, in fact they come home saying they just didn't have time to do everything. But they both just love the clubs and hate to leave to do anything else.

The 7 Day cruise was just enough time for us. In the future ( like when I win the lottery) I would love to do a back to back 7 day cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter