• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Need meds advice

SelfEmployedDebtFree

DIS Veteran
looking for meds advice.

1) He is NOT ADHD.
2) Hyper is NOT a problem.

Now, with that said... I need advice on medications on THIS condition: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/intermittent-explosive-disorder/DS00730

He is autistic. Official diagnosis is Aspergers, HOWEVER, I realize that this problem is very rare in Aspergers. He also has paranoia.
He's 9 years old. Hes a sweet child much of the time, but if I could label him properly I would have to say its like having a 9 year old Dr. Heckle and Mr. Hyde living in your care.

Now, heres where it gets fun. I would like to keep it to ONE medication if possible. I do NOT want to treat hyper activity. I LIKE hyper activity. Hyper is HEALTHY!!! He is overweight, so any medication that causes weight gain (Risperdol, Tenex) is NOT an option. He was a slim guy till meds made him obese. They ruined him once before, I dont want it getting any worse than that already is.

Any advice?

I'll look into and research ANY you mention. There is NO Dr in this area who accepts medicaid who is willing to see him for this. My local family Dr told me if I find one, and it looks like a chance, he will perscribe it. I'm on my own here (as usual).

Topamax has been a very effective mood stabalizer in many people.

Anne

My autistic 4yr old is on homeopathic. Has worked wonders for him. Alot of our friends with autistic children have gone that road also. Not to mention our "normal" child 2yrs old does homeopathic also. Yes it is covered by our insurance.

I'm moving this to our disABILITIES Community Board. That part of disABILITIES is for non-Disney related questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter