Negativity Overload and how I'm choosing to deal with it

WDWOswald

DIS Veteran
Negativity toward Disney Parks has reached a fever pitch of late. New parking fees. Very significant general admission and special event ticket price increases. Poor cast member interactions. A noticeable lack of cleanliness in some areas of the parks. Understaffed attractions- some in desperate need of refurbishment which create crowds that could otherwise be easily managed. New “premium” up-charge opportunities (club level fast-passes etc). The extension of extra magic hours to off-site hotels. Keeping Caribbean Beach open while it resembles a construction pit with a make-shift tent and food trucks. Busted and beat up rooms at Coronado springs and Pop Century that have been left to fall apart before they are refurbished. 3-4 hour wait times for Flight of Passage. Including alcohol on the Disney Dining Plan and charging the same price for those under 21 as over 21. The artificial inflation of restaurant menu prices due to the dining plan. The unlimited guacamole leaving peco’s bill toppings bar. Long lines and waits for buses. DVC booking up so fast that you feel like you’re part of the Saratoga Springs vacation club and the other resorts might as well be RCI exchanges. Too many split stays because you can’t get a full week where you want to go. The pathetic lack of attractions currently available at Hollywood studios.... and Toy Story Mania about to go from three running tracks to one. The lack of original intellectual property being added to the parks and the general lack of vision for Epcot. Suffocating crowds at times that are usually slower. The pain of finding a good spot to watch magic kingdom fireworks within the massive hoard of people. Regular Monorail malfunctions. Talking Mickey Mouse about to be silenced at magic kingdom. The continual lack of a night parade at magic kingdom. One man’s dream no longer showing the beautiful biographical film about Walt Disney. The politically correct scene change on POTC. The pitiful wages paid to cast members!

I’m sure I forgot a few of the latest things to be outraged about. Here’s the thing- I choose to love it and see the good. I choose to enjoy all the special experiences that Disney continues to offer that cannot be had anywhere else. I choose to accept the price increases, budget and plan creatively, and have a wonderful time with my family. I choose to continue to be a fan who is very aware of these issues. I refuse to become a bitter curmudgeon who bemoans how much better it was “back in the day.” It’s a lot more fun to drink the kool-aid rrr "Lefou's Brew", wear the t-shirt, and have a blast. Who is with me?

I'm with you! I am in love with Disney! Yes, it's expensive, but I always see the positive. I have always found the cast members to be so friendly and helpful. The entertainment is outstanding. Dirty bathrooms are because of gross people, and is not always Disney's fault. People complain, but they are still going!

Good for you! A lot of this is subjective. It's just my opinion, but...

I don't think the parking fee is anywhere close to as big of a deal as it's been made out here.

I almost never have negative CM interactions, frankly it's exactly the opposite. They're fabulous.

I don't think the parks are unclean...in fact I think they do an amazing job considering how many people...and many rude/inconsiderate ones...are in the parks. I think they're very clean.

I don't think the parks are understaffed (we even have a family friend CM, who also says they aren't understaffed).

I think some of the rides definitely need refurb, but I also realize the scope and size of WDW and understand they can't all be done at once.

For me, I just don't share a lot of the negative views expressed here. Doesn't mean those who express them are wrong, I just don't feel that way at all. All things considered, I think WDW does a masterful job. No Kool-Aid needed for me, it's my true opinion.

I don't see it as drinking kool-aid. It all just depends on your life experiences and your life philosophy I think, as well as certain factual things. I talked about this in another thread, but for me all of it is just a part of an equation. How much free time and money do I have after paying bills, sharing with others, saving for retirement and all of those responsible adult things, and what do I wanna do with that time and money? With part of it I choose Disney. Why? Because I like Disney. I like the history, my memories, I love spending time with my family there, taking a break from the midwest and going to Florida along with all the other states I've been to. I have fun there and enjoy the bubble. As soon as something in the equation outweighs all of that, then I'll choose not to go and it doesn't have to be drama, as the world doesn't owe me Disney. At this point in my life, now that I'm older and wiser, the only thing to get that negatively worked up about is when someone I love has passed away or is extremely ill and suffering, or some horrendous happening in the world. Disney charging a parking fee isn't on that radar, nor is the dining plan issues, DVC woes, etc... etc...

Lord willing and the creek don't rise, my next trip is in July, and I can't wait. I want to go ride a banshee again, and scope out Toy Story Land, eat at my favorite restaurants, complain how hot I am, and make new memories! And what if the equation shifts and I never go to Disney again? I'll love my family and spend time with them, travel, eat at my favorite restaurants and make new memories all the same.

I'm glad others are still seeking and finding joy in Disney like me, and I totally get why others don't. If you are finding the positive and havin' fun, carry on! lol

I don't see it as drinking kool-aid. It all just depends on your life experiences and your life philosophy I think, as well as certain factual things. I talked about this in another thread, but for me all of it is just a part of an equation. How much free time and money do I have after paying bills, sharing with others, saving for retirement and all of those responsible adult things, and what do I wanna do with that time and money? With part of it I choose Disney. Why? Because I like Disney. I like the history, my memories, I love spending time with my family there, taking a break from the midwest and going to Florida along with all the other states I've been to. I have fun there and enjoy the bubble. As soon as something in the equation outweighs all of that, then I'll choose not to go and it doesn't have to be drama, as the world doesn't owe me Disney. At this point in my life, now that I'm older and wiser, the only thing to get that negatively worked up about is when someone I love has passed away or is extremely ill and suffering, or some horrendous happening in the world. Disney charging a parking fee isn't on that radar, nor is the dining plan issues, DVC woes, etc... etc...

Lord willing and the creek don't rise, my next trip is in July, and I can't wait. I want to go ride a banshee again, and scope out Toy Story Land, eat at my favorite restaurants, complain how hot I am, and make new memories! And what if the equation shifts and I never go to Disney again? I'll love my family and spend time with them, travel, eat at my favorite restaurants and make new memories all the same.

I'm glad others are still seeking and finding joy in Disney like me, and I totally get why others don't. If you are finding the positive and havin' fun, carry on! lol
Beautiful!!! I agree 110%!!!

It's not negativity. It's well informed customers speaking out about something that is quickly getting out of hand. Improvements have a cost. 2 new lands, Gondola system, the Riviera resort, CBR construction, etc, they all have a cost. However, when there's a discrepancy as bad as a huge bonus for Iger and the CM's can't get a living wage? Disney isn't balanced it's a problem.

I choose to enjoy all the special experiences that Disney continues to offer that cannot be had anywhere else.

Can you list as many of those for those of us who aren’t sure what those are anymore?

It’s a lot more fun to drink the kool-aid

You DO realize that that phrase refers to forced mass suicide and murder, don’t you?

There’s nothing cute about that phrase. It’s somewhat akin to using the Bataan death march or the holocaust as “funny” ways to describe things.

I actually hope you don’t realize. Google “Jim Jones”.

That's great. You are Disney's target customer.

Seriously. Love the way you broke that down.

I’m with you. Thanks!
@bumbershoot that was pretty harsh. I remember Jim Jones with horror. But “drinking the cool aid” has been used extensively in the Disney context as well. You came down extremely hard on the OP

I’m with you. Thanks!
@bumbershoot that was pretty harsh. I remember Jim Jones with horror. But “drinking the cool aid” has been used extensively in the Disney context as well. You came down extremely hard on the OP

Drinking the Kool-Aid has been used with just about anything that constitutes brainwashing. It's just one of those "phrases" anymore.

That's great. You are Disney's target customer.

Can you list as many of those for those of us who aren’t sure what those are anymore?

You DO realize that that phrase refers to forced mass suicide and murder, don’t you?

There’s nothing cute about that phrase. It’s somewhat akin to using the Bataan death march or the holocaust as “funny” ways to describe things.

I actually hope you don’t realize. Google “Jim Jones”.

Seriously. Love the way you broke that down.

You can't be aggravated (perhaps sarcastic is a better word) with people just because they aren't as upset with Disney as you are. :)

People still can find some intangible perks, some people can't. It's pointless to ask "what's the good" when you have already decided - justifiably to you I'm sure - there is none.

I just read some of the trip advisor reviews on some of the hotels I am considering for our next trip. Most were from spring breakers and probably first time guests. They were almost all resoundingly positive in many ways. I just have to guard my attitude sometimes as the fan community can become an echo-chamber of negativity that most guests aren't seeing and experiencing.

Yeah, there can be downsides to knowing every rumor of an imagineer sneezing... but that's part of the fun too! ;)

I have been feeling very negative towards Disney as well. All the political correctness, increasing costs/fees. My frustration is that Disney has a hand in everything at this point. They don't need money as badly as they are portraying and the greed of the situation is frustrating to me. I will most likely keep an annual pass until Star Wars Land opens, but after that, I think I will bow out. I like Disney the way I remembered it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter