Neighbor Writing on Vehicle

I wouldn't both the Police with something so trivial. Not that they would take a report for something so trivial. Well, they might have one of the senior citizen volunteers call you back and take a report over the phone, but I hear it takes about two months for them to call back.
Trivial? Granted it’s a kid, but that‘s not normal behavior at all. Something isn’t right at that house and if you ask me it sounds like it won’t get any better. Filling out a police report does nothing but keep it on record. The police aren’t going to approach the family or get involved at all. But if something happens down the road, they know(and the courts) that this has been an ongoing issue. I would try to talk to the parent before that though …you have to give them a chance to correct the problem.

I wouldn't both the Police with something so trivial. Not that they would take a report for something so trivial. Well, they might have one of the senior citizen volunteers call you back and take a report over the phone, but I hear it takes about two months for them to call back.
One person somewhat close to my area described how they were targeted and the acts continued moving eventually to deflating all the tires of both vehicles and then busting out the windows of the vehicle that had been in their driveway.

When it comes to being targeted by people nothing really is trivial. You don't really honestly know what that person may do or continue to do. The wording used on the car is aggressive, that alone should give you cause for concern.

One person somewhat close to my area described how they were targeted and the acts continued moving eventually to deflating all the tires of both vehicles and then busting out the windows of the vehicle that had been in their driveway.

When it comes to being targeted by people nothing really is trivial. You don't really honestly know what that person may do or continue to do. The wording used on the car is aggressive, that alone should give you cause for concern.
True. But the Police don't care until it escalates to that point. They're police, not clairvoyants.

True …but when it escalates and you tell them it’s happened before, what will they say? Did you file a report? No? Sorry …not much we can do.
With no link to a suspect, not sure the value in a report. Been down the road.

Reactions: GAN
With no link to a suspect, not sure the value in a report. Been down the road.
In our area if it's a ring video you provide that straight to the police as multiple police departments here are hooked up with that program. OP has the video although they said they would need to go through it to see if the person in there.

Around here this was the recommendation when they started the program a few years back
  • "download the Neighbors mobile app, which will allow them to quickly upload helpful video clips to local police."
  • "Neighbors network, where Ring doorbell camera users have the option to upload video files to the app, and thereby, the network, where police and other homeowners can be aware of what’s happening."
  • “The hope is we’re going to deter crime because more and more individuals, we hope, will have this app and have some type of surveillance equipment. In doing that, we hope we’re going to be able to identify people more quickly and make arrests." That last comment was made by the Sergeant of my city's police department.
Even if the police wouldn't do anything I'd want record of it myself personally speaking regardless.

In our area if it's a ring video you provide that straight to the police as multiple police departments here are hooked up with that program. OP has the video although they said they would need to go through it to see if the person in there.

Around here this was the recommendation when they started the program a few years back
  • "download the Neighbors mobile app, which will allow them to quickly upload helpful video clips to local police."
  • "Neighbors network, where Ring doorbell camera users have the option to upload video files to the app, and thereby, the network, where police and other homeowners can be aware of what’s happening."
  • “The hope is we’re going to deter crime because more and more individuals, we hope, will have this app and have some type of surveillance equipment. In doing that, we hope we’re going to be able to identify people more quickly and make arrests." That last comment was made by the Sergeant of my city's police department.
Even if the police wouldn't do anything I'd want record of it myself personally speaking regardless.
Malicious mischief isn't likely to amount to much. I see all those Ring videos on Next Door and the Neighborhood Watch Facebook page.. They rarely result in any enforcement action. You do raise a very good point about "to deter crime" because judging from the "suspects" being aware of the cameras, and sometimes playing to them, clearly they offer little deterrent value.

Malicious mischief isn't likely to amount to much. I see all those Ring videos on Next Door and the Neighborhood Watch Facebook page.. They rarely result in any enforcement action. You do raise a very good point about "to deter crime" because judging from the "suspects" being aware of the cameras, and sometimes playing to them, clearly they offer little deterrent value.
We were talking about documenting in case of a pattern. What you think would be the charge varies based on jurisdiction as well as if a person is identified have they done anything else like this. The OP already mentioned this particular neighbor's members of their house were throwing rocks in a previous encounter so if it's the same person in the video if it was caught on video that already itself establishes a pattern of potential hostility towards them and now they've got profanity written on their vehicle.

As far as deterring that's all your opinion. It does make it much more easy though to prove a particular person did something so if they are caught it's bolsters the DA's case. Not all suspects are aware of cameras either, realistically one should assume there is but not everyone does.

Whether you would file a report or not up to you, I wouldn't call having what the OP had written on their car (from post number 2 you can see what was said) as trivial.

ETA: I should mention here observationally it does seem that having the ability to share the videos with the police help connect the dots on cases, or help track for timing purposes, things like cars are good identifiers, etc.

We were talking about documenting in case of a pattern. What you think would be the charge varies based on jurisdiction as well as if a person is identified have they done anything else like this. The OP already mentioned this particular neighbor's members of their house were throwing rocks in a previous encounter so if it's the same person in the video if it was caught on video that already itself establishes a pattern of potential hostility towards them and now they've got profanity written on their vehicle.

As far as deterring that's all your opinion. It does make it much more easy though to prove a particular person did something so if they are caught it's bolsters the DA's case. Not all suspects are aware of cameras either, realistically one should assume there is but not everyone does.

Whether you would file a report or not up to you, I wouldn't call having what the OP had written on their car (from post number 2 you can see what was said) as trivial.
As for what was written, at least here there has been a pattern of inappropriate graffiti in the schools the when investigated, boiled down to the culprit not knowing the negative meaning of the words.
With all the restrictions on posting Ring type videos......Next Door and Facebook require you to blur out license plates, I still question the deterrent value of cameras.

With all the restrictions on posting Ring type videos......Next Door and Facebook require you to blur out license plates, I still question the deterrent value of cameras.
I was just giving information about the police since you mentioned there was nothing to link. The OP said they had ring, if they do catch the person who did it on camera around here the police strongly encourage citizens to share these types of videos with them. Maybe for the OP it's different. Here the police departments had to join the Neighbors platform to do that but multiple cities including the most populated in my metro that lies on the other side of the state line joined as well. They are the ones to do the work so if they view it as helpful that's all I really need to know.

Generally when they need help identifying or are requesting those who may have had the same incident occur at their property they put up ring video footage (unless it's footage or pictures from a place of business like Walmart or a gas station).

If you don't think they are of value I would assume you wouldn't have one much less share it with the police.
As for what was written, at least here there has been a pattern of inappropriate graffiti in the schools the when investigated, boiled down to the culprit not knowing the negative meaning of the words.
That's great a learning lesson then on context of what those words can mean, I'd be glad it was taken seriously enough though to be reviewed but that's me.

When I was in high school and there was graffiti written on the school's property by the field it was due to a gang turf war.

So sorry this person is being menacing to you, I have had some stressful situations in the past & learned to love solid draperies that are tightly closed once the sun goes down. I get creeped out knowing how much people can see in from the outside, I once had someone tell me the color of my bath towel, never happened again.

I sort of think what happened comes under vandalism because I know someone who reported it once and other kids who got in trouble for writing something in shaving cream on a mirror at a school, it really is a very loose term.

Since it was both vulgar and hostile, as in not a childish, "Wash Me," I would report it as random vandalism WITHOUT the video or naming names so I could keep the report number for future reference and add the video later if necessary to show a pattern. While it is upsetting it could just be a once and done, I hope so, if it is not you can always up the situation but I wouldn't start off that big.

I would have a talk with the police, and here’s why. Many years ago we had a neighbor who had a beef with my husband. There was no way to get to our house except to drive past his mothers house, which is where he lived. He would yell at us as we drove past. My step daughter was about 10 at the time and she was frightened by his actions. If we passed him coming and going he would jerk his wheel like he was going to ram into us. One day I was trying to leave my street and he was turning around down the street. He saw me and blocked me from getting through. He eventually moved and I drove straight to the police department. They told me to call the police next time. So I did. They took a report and sent us to mediation. Of course he denied it all but the mediator wasn’t fooled because he spoke very aggressively to my husband right in front of the guy. He wasn’t too bright. Anyway, the behavior stopped after mediation.

Another time, more recently, I found eggs all over the front of my house. I talked to a police officer about it. He told me there was a group of kids roaming the neighborhood at night. They were dumping peoples flower pots, and other sorts of mischief. The officer said they hadn’t caught them yet but he assured me they would. So my complaint combined with those of other neighbors gave them more reason to work to stop these kids.

I will admit, that now we live in a neighborhood with very few problems. When someone broke our garage window with a golf ball, my husband called to make a report and 3 cruisers came to respond. 😂

OP, these people might be harassing others as well. Let the police know all the things you mentioned. That’s what they are there for.

Without any intention to take this thread political - I do think how seriously behavior like this is taken by police is heavily impacted by where you live. Some cities/municipalities or states have may label something harmless or minor mischief and will wait for proof of escalation before getting involved or investigating, while other areas might have a lower tolerance and will pursue right from the getgo.

Unrelated example: shoplifting. In some areas, there is very little one can do legally if someone grabs merchandise and runs out of the store. In other areas, it may be different.

I would never bother the police with something so trivial.
Gotcha.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. It's a lot to think about. I wish I wasn't dealing with it, but hoping they won't be here much longer after their lease is up in early autumn. Their home is a rental so fingers crossed.

Without any intention to take this thread political - I do think how seriously behavior like this is taken by police is heavily impacted by where you live. Some cities/municipalities or states have may label something harmless or minor mischief and will wait for proof of escalation before getting involved or investigating, while other areas might have a lower tolerance and will pursue right from the getgo.

Unrelated example: shoplifting. In some areas, there is very little one can do legally if someone grabs merchandise and runs out of the store. In other areas, it may be different.
We're pretty lucky here to have a really good and community focused police force. I feel bad for those that have to wait months for an officer to contact them regarding a report. We live in a large metropolitan area, but from our dealings with the police (granted, it's been probably twice in the past 10+ years for minor issues), they always call back within a few hours.

Reactions: shh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter