New ABD/DCL Mediterranean Adventure

Bobo912

DIS Veteran
It's not a rumor anymore. There is a new ABD trip posted this morning in conjuction with DCL's Med cruise. The trip is available on all 2010 sailings (the 10/11 night cruises), so it's not exactly tied in to the shortening of the Aug/Sept 2011 cruise, although DCL did post 7 night cruises in 2011 this morning. There is no pricing on the ABD website and it must be booked through DCL. The trip is laeled "Adventure Disney Cruise Collection" so more desinations to come in the future, maybe?

I called and got the pricing for this. Roughly $200 per person per cruise day or if you break it down by port day, $300 per person per port day. Considering that that is in addition to the cost of the cruise, I'd say it was a little too rich. I would have bitten if they had offered individual excursions led by ABD guides. But with these prices, I'll stick with my own shore excursions.

I called and got the pricing for this. Roughly $200 per person per cruise day or if you break it down by port day, $300 per person per port day. Considering that that is in addition to the cost of the cruise, I'd say it was a little too rich. I would have bitten if they had offered individual excursions led by ABD guides. But with these prices, I'll stick with my own shore excursions.

Thanks for posting the price info. I figured it would be high. An extra $2000/$2200 in addition to the price of the cruise seems a bit much. I think I would prefer to select my own shore excursions rather than have them selected for me. I'm sure it's an added convenience to have the ABD guides along, but I don't think it's sufficient value added considering the additional cost. If I'm going to spend that much, I think I would go with a regular ABD trip where you are staying in the middle of things, rather than going back to the ship every night. I'm sure either would be fantastic though. Might be a better choice next year with the less expensive 7-night Med cruise...unless they raise the price on the ABD portion for 2011.

Wow! Now, I wish they would do this for the 2010 Baltic cruises! It is an interesting mix--on board activities, and the cost includes the ship tips (so like ABD, you just have the guide tips). My one complaint about the DCL trips has been the so so quality of the shore excursions--and having to fight for a shore excursion reservation (we don't always get the ones we want due to the limited number available, and the various club members etc that get first option).

The Cat 11C on the July/Aug 2011 7-night Med cruises are $1259 per adult. If the ABD portion remains at around $200 per day (assuming it will still be offered in 2011) the price would be a little over $3000 per adult (before insurance, taxes, etc.), which isn't bad when compared to the price of some of the other European trips. If they offer Cat 12s in the future, it could be even better. Ground transportation isn't listed as one of the "included" items, so there would be that additional cost. Unlike the other trips, all meals are included.

OK, I've got to admit, this sounds REALLY interesting to me. Since I travel alone, the idea of a Mediterranean Cruise was a little iffy for me. But making it an "ABD at Sea" type of experience, with daily tours with the same people and the same guides, probably dining with the same people, it's suddenly become a lot more appealing. Plus the Disney Magic even on shore...

I just got off the phone with DCL, and the cost for the 10 night cruise in May is not a *whole* lot more than what I was going to pay for the 6 night Knights & Lights tour, plus the DLP add-on. And they are actually offering it during a timeframe in which I'd want to take it! ACK! Conundrum! Dotti would *kill* me if I canceled K&L on her now...

I could kill a few birds with one stone. Try out a Disney cruise. Do the Meditteranean. Hmmmm.... What to do? What to do?

Sayhello

OK, I've got to admit, this sounds REALLY interesting to me. Since I travel alone, the idea of a Mediterranean Cruise was a little iffy for me. But making it an "ABD at Sea" type of experience, with daily tours with the same people and the same guides, probably dining with the same people, it's suddenly become a lot more appealing. Plus the Disney Magic even on shore...

I just got off the phone with DCL, and the cost for the 10 night cruise in May is not a *whole* lot more than what I was going to pay for the 6 night Knights & Lights tour, plus the DLP add-on. And they are actually offering it during a timeframe in which I'd want to take it! ACK! Conundrum! Dotti would *kill* me if I canceled K&L on her now...

I could kill a few birds with one stone. Try out a Disney cruise. Do the Meditteranean. Hmmmm.... What to do? What to do?

Sayhello

I know I would be very tempted if DCL would offer the $999 cruise during a month when school is out. But because of the Baltic cruises in June and July, there are no Med cruises scheduled for 2010 that don't conflict with school. I would book the Baltic cruise if they would offer it for $999. :laughing:

An interesting point just came up, and DCL doesn't know the answer... they're going to get back to me.

On the ABD website is this statement:
6) What if Adventures by Disney cancels the adventure prior to departure?

Cancellation terms different than the standard Adventures by Disney cancellation terms apply to this Adventures by Disney and Disney Cruise Line add on package. Please call (888) 272-0571 for details.
The number goes to DCL. So that leaves the question, what if ABD cancels the ABD part (say only 4 people on a particular cruise are interested?) I know this is unlikely, but still... What if? I would not be interested in this cruise at this time without the ABD add-on. So what would the policy be? Would they pay for me to switch to another cruise? Full refund of all the costs, including the cruise? Generally, with cruises, if an excursion is cancelled, you just get a refund. I'll be interested to see what the policy becomes on this one, because, quite frankly, that would be a deal breaker.

Sayhello

We called DCL earlier today for more information and for example - the Med cruise starting May 26, the ABD portion would cost $2399 per person for the 10 day cruise in addition to the DCL costs. That would be an extra $9,596 for a family of 4 on top of the DCL cruise cost. So the lowest possible total cost for the DCL/ABD combination trip would be around $14,000 (which does not include the transports, airfares, tips to ABD guides, and insurance costs) for a family of 4. There would be a $300 deposit per person down payment when booking and DCL would keep the number of total people in group to the same level as the current ABD trips (40 people). Anyone after that would be put on a waiting list unless they had enough people to form a second group on the same trip.

We called DCL earlier today for more information and for example - the Med cruise starting May 26, the ABD portion would cost $2399 per person for the 10 day cruise in addition to the DCL costs. That would be an extra $9,596 for a family of 4 on top of the DCL cruise cost. So the lowest possible total cost for the DCL/ABD combination trip would be around $14,000 (which does not include the transports, airfares, tips to ABD guides, and insurance costs) for a family of 4. There would be a $300 deposit per person down payment when booking and DCL would keep the number of total people in group to the same level as the current ABD trips (40 people). Anyone after that would be put on a waiting list unless they had enough people to form a second group on the same trip.

That is a lot of money! I think it was a smart decision to introduce the 7-night Med cruises for 2011 so that it will be more affordable to add in the ABD option. Traveling Tinkerbell the $300 deposit per person was in addition to the deposit you had already paid for the cruise itself?

That is a lot of money! I think it was a smart decision to introduce the 7-night Med cruises for 2011 so that it will be more affordable to add in the ABD option. Traveling Tinkerbell the $300 deposit per person was in addition to the deposit you had already paid for the cruise itself?

Yes, it was in addition to the deposit already required for the DCL cruise portion of the trip. The balance of the ABD cost would be due on the same date as the balance is due for the rest of DCL cruise cost. Also, you would need to be seated at the late dining time on the ship because the daily ABD trip returns can not be assured to return in time for the early dining time.

Oh my I just got home and I am just now seeing the thread...must now investigate.
Hey, HappyGrumpy, is this the cruise you & hubby signed up for? What dates are you going? I thought the Mid-May one? I must admit I'm tempted... You got a really fabulous deal, too, didn't you? Damn! I probably missed out on that...

It would be fun to travel with you two!

Sayhello

Oh my I just got home and I am just now seeing the thread...must now investigate.

I was wondering if we were going to hear from you. :) I wish we could go in May too.

I must admit I'm tempted... You got a really fabulous deal, too, didn't you? Damn! I probably missed out on that...

Sayhello, the $999 fares for the May 5th and 15th cruises are still on the DCL website.

We are signed up for the May 15th and I was actually contemplating not going b/c I have been overwhelmed with having only 6 months to plan private excursions and get airline tickets etc.. now I am like OMG!! I emailed the travel agent a few minutes ago and I am waiting for a response!

I am curious to know since you have to book this through DCL if my 10% discount applies to the "total" cost including the ABD portion? Or will I get the returning adventurer discount?

I would be more than happy to let ABD handle the excursions and quite frankly relieved! It would be very cool if they have special pins for this trip that they pass out each day!

You should have your TA call! I was under the impression that May 5, 15 & 26th were where the cat 12 were discounted.

This trip just way more exciting for me! But I need to see what it's going to cost us!:thumbsup2

Sayhello, the $999 fares for the May 5th and 15th cruises are still on the DCL website.
Oh, geez! They still are. Man, now comes another conundrum! I HATE inside cabins! HATE them! And am scared by the very idea of a GTY room... my gosh, you could get ANYTHING!

But the cost difference between this discounted inside and the lowest rate for an oceanview? Is more than enough to pay for the ABD add on!!! :scared1: Oh, dear lord! And the 11-day is the same cost as the 10-day in this category... I think the whole thing is going to rest on the cancellation policy for the ABD add-on. Because I really *don't* want to do this cruise without the ABD add-on... ACK! Double ACK!

I thought things were ALL SETTLED and SET on what I was doing vacation-wise this year. And now THIS comes up? My BRAIN CANNOT HANDLE IT!!!!

Oh, and HG, the person I talked to at DCL didn't think the ABD loyalty discount applied. But she wasn't sure. I may call back tomorrow & see... May 15 would actually be perfect, because then I'd be in the Med for my Birthday...

Sayhello

Oh, geez! They still are. Man, now comes another conundrum! I HATE inside cabins! HATE them! And am scared by the very idea of a GTY room... my gosh, you could get ANYTHING!
Sayhello

Well, it's a port intensive cruise, so you won't spend a lot of time in your stateroom. And there is always the possibility that you will be upgraded. I booked our Dec cruise (which departs on Thursday) in Sept and we were upgraded from Cat 12 to Cat 9. I wouldn't have minded the inside stateroom, especially since this is just the 3 day cruise, but it will be nice to have a window.

Well, it's a port intensive cruise, so you won't spend a lot of time in your stateroom.

Totally agree with this!

I think the whole thing is going to rest on the cancellation policy for the ABD add-on. Because I really *don't* want to do this cruise without the ABD add-on... ACK! Double ACK!

Please let me know when you find out about the cancelation policy! Now that I know that ABD is an option I don't want to cruise w/out them either but cost is going to be a factor considering the balance of the cruise will be due Jan 15th!

Oh, and HG, the person I talked to at DCL didn't think the ABD loyalty discount applied. But she wasn't sure. I may call back tomorrow & see..
It would be nice if it did or the 10% discount applied from booking onboard!

May 15 would actually be perfect, because then I'd be in the Med for my Birthday...

That would be EPIC!

Well, it's a port intensive cruise, so you won't spend a lot of time in your stateroom. And there is always the possibility that you will be upgraded. I booked our Dec cruise (which departs on Thursday) in Sept and we were upgraded from Cat 12 to Cat 9. I wouldn't have minded the inside stateroom, especially since this is just the 3 day cruise, but it will be nice to have a window.
It is true that it's port intensive... The idea of not having to choose excursions, and not having a bunch of filler time that ends up with nothing but shopping... Of seeing Rome AND Tuscany AND Capri plus all those other places in one trip... and only unpacking/packing once... I've got to say it's MIGHTY, MIGHTY tempting. Plus round-trip air to Barcelona appears to be a lot cheaper than open-jawed London-Paris... ACK! I must think more! I cannot decide now!

But I'd best not wait too long!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter