New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

Breakaway is a great ship. Especially if you're just sailing with adults. Give it a try sometime.

Now not that I know my principal likes to sail on her. Given that we are obviously out at the same time, odds of us being on there at the same time increase and just NO. Lol. Do not want even the possibility of running into her on vacation.

Did they announce the Dream/Fantasy this early? Seems like an awfully Looooong time to wait.

Most of the time ships are announced well in advance - they have to get their place in line at the shipyards.

Since the new ships have abandoned the classic days of cruising theme (which they pushed sooooo hard for the first two), I would like to see some real technical, gadgety, hi-tech, do-dads throughout the ship.
Talking pictures on the wall and dining rooms that change color are really cool but are now old hat.
The animated "windows" on interior cabins is more of what I'm thinking.....something that, when people hear about it, makes people say "WOW!". The fireworks were like that back in the day.

I'm not sure if I've explained myself well. I don't need a spate of "look at all the ships have on them already" replies...I am aware of those.

BUT, the largest entertainment company in the world should be able to absolutely make the other cruise lines CRINGE with what the new ships offer.........
IDK. If I was so smart, I'd be working for DCL...................................................

On this front, what they ought to do are upgrade the virtual portholes on inside cabins to live feeds, just as Emirates is doing on their interior business class “apartments”.

As to names, the Inspiration, Friendship or Laughter ?

Last edited:
On this front, what they ought to do are upgrade the virtual portholes on inside cabins to live feeds, just as Emirates is doing on their interior business class “apartments”.

The continued evolution of OLED tech makes the possibilities endless including having a virtual sky.

Since the last Disney ships were launched other cryise lines have REALLY up'ed their game with kid centric features. Look at the on board water parks, IP usage with Nick and Suess, RCCL with their mega dry slides, Carnival with the SKY pedal thingy and IMAX, MSC has even toyes with the idea of a drop tower on their new ships. Norwegian is putting a huge ship on Alaska complete with Laser tag and a multilevel go cart track. I suspect by 2030, someone will actaully have a mini theme park on board on the way complete with LIM based coasters outside of the bumper cars and small carousels that can be found today.

Last edited:

One of the ships installed virtual balconies -- with full length "doors" that show outside scenes. Can't remember which ship or line.

So after seeing Marvel Universe Live this weekend I have been thinking about names for the new ships and wanted to throw in my 2 cents: I'm thinking that one new ship should be the Disney Marvel, and the Disney Star (to honor Star Wars) For the third one I am thinking Believe or Imagination.

I may be misunderstanding your post but they are live feeds for the VP’s. It even is forward, aft, port or starboard View, depending on what side of the ship the wall at the head of the bed is on.

One of the ships installed virtual balconies -- with full length "doors" that show outside scenes. Can't remember which ship or line.
It’s RCCL, on all the Quantum class ships and also on Harmony and Symphony of the Seas, Oasis Class ships.

Last edited:
So after seeing Marvel Universe Live this weekend I have been thinking about names for the new ships and wanted to throw in my 2 cents: I'm thinking that one new ship should be the Disney Marvel, and the Disney Star (to honor Star Wars) For the third one I am thinking Believe or Imagination.

Updated page one.

Most of the time ships are announced well in advance - they have to get their place in line at the shipyards.

Here is the timeline of the Dream build from wikipedia and my guess when the next ship will be done (purely a wild guess based on how long it took to build the Dream)

Dream
February 2007 - New ships announced
March 2009 - First steel cut
Later that month - Ships were named
August 19, 2009 - Keel laid
October 29, 2009 - Design unveiled to public
June 1, 2010 - Exterior of ship done
October 30, 2010 - Ship Float Out
January 26, 2011 - Maiden Voyage

Next Disney ship N.N 2021
March 2016 - New ships announced
April 2019 - First steel cut
Later that month - Ships named
September 2019 - Keel laid
November 2019 - Design unveiled to public
July 2020 - Exterior of ship done
November 2020 - Ship Float Out
February 2021 - Maiden Voyage

I saw something advertised at a hotel- they had a virtual concierge that operated similar to Alexia technology. An image of a person came up on the hotel window (so it looked like the concierge was sanding right there). That would be cool with a Mickey image. I’d love to ask Mickey to book my Palo reservation or order my room service.

It would also be. lol if you could change the virtual portholes to other scenes (magic kingdom, Star Wars, Castaway Cay).

Here is the timeline of the Dream build from wikipedia and my guess when the next ship will be done (purely a wild guess based on how long it took to build the Dream)

Dream
February 2007 - New ships announced
March 2009 - First steel cut
Later that month - Ships were named
August 19, 2009 - Keel laid
October 29, 2009 - Design unveiled to public
June 1, 2010 - Exterior of ship done
October 30, 2010 - Ship Float Out
January 26, 2011 - Maiden Voyage

Next Disney ship N.N 2021
March 2016 - New ships announced
April 2019 - First steel cut
Later that month - Ships named
September 2019 - Keel laid
November 2019 - Design unveiled to public
July 2020 - Exterior of ship done
November 2020 - Ship Float Out
February 2021 - Maiden Voyage

This is such a great comparison and very interesting

Are the new ships expected to be bigger than the Dream class ships? We sailed on the Dream once and did not like it. Way, way, WAY too crowded. We like the Magic and Wonder. If the new ships are going to hold yet more people, we may pass.

Are the new ships expected to be bigger than the Dream class ships? We sailed on the Dream once and did not like it. Way, way, WAY too crowded. We like the Magic and Wonder. If the new ships are going to hold yet more people, we may pass.
It's my understanding that they are going to be a bit larger, but fairly similar in size to the Dream class.

Reactions: x19

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter