New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

How many ships can they have at PC? That's obviously Disney's hub and so I feel like that's a priority for them. My guess is that two of the new ships go there + Dream or Fantasy. The one that doesn't stay goes to Miami full time. I could see them putting the third new one full time on the West coast. Magic and Wonder move around throughout the year like they do now.

As many as DCL wants. Right now, they use terminal 8 3 days a week. They could go to 7 days a week if they wanted to, and still use terminal 8 seasonally like they plan to before using it full time. . From what I remember and I'm not infront of my computer, is that Miami goes full time in 23 or 24.Up until then it's seasonal. Wish comes in early 22. That's the gap, I was referring to.

The rest of the contracts specify large ship.Its says either large ship or up to 4000 passengers. PC has 3 large ships in its contract and Miami says 2. That leaves the Magic class to continue with Alaska, Europe, with Galveston.

...The rest of the contracts specify large ship.Its says either large ship or up to 4000 passengers. PC has 3 large ships in its contract and Miami says 2. That leaves the Magic class to continue with Alaska, Europe, with Galveston.
I'd love for the Wonder to sail to Hawaii after Alaska (as it has done in the past) and then continue on to French Polynesia then 'summer' in Australian and New Zealand. And perhaps come back through China and Japan then onto Hawaii then back to Alaska. But since I'm not in charge of choosing ports and itineraries it's not likely to happen.

I'd love for the Wonder to sail to Hawaii after Alaska (as it has done in the past) and then continue on to French Polynesia then 'summer' in Australian and New Zealand. And perhaps come back through China and Japan then onto Hawaii then back to Alaska. But since I'm not in charge of choosing ports and itineraries it's not likely to happen.

you may be the only person right now looking to go to China.

That's been the hope for a while. Along with new routes and lengths.
Right now, all of the ships are spoken for for at least 8 more years by contract. All 5 big ships ultimately will be in Fl. I did some basic work the other day and need to clean it up a bit but its highly unlikely DCL will stay far from what we've seen. The wild card I can find, is the Magic class starting in 22. Galveston for 6 months is a given which means either Magic or Wonder will go there again. That will leave the Dream and the Wonder. Wonder could go back to N/O or stay in the Pacific going to Mexico with the Dream doing 1 offs from Fl. 23 and after, everything is pretty much written where each ship will go. Its after the Wish does her Maiden is when it gets murky.
Thanks for putting the leg work in on this one, I didn’t think to check the home port contracts to predict when new itineraries could show up. Our family’s probably going back to Bahamas/Caribbean for the first time in a while when we get back to cruising in 2021 at the earliest, so won’t be able to look at the biggest itineraries for a while, but good thoughts about when new stuff could be on the horizon. :-)
Edit: Can I also say I’m somewhat disappointed that DCL didn’t take the opportunity of the new itinerary release to provide ANY new information about the Wish? I mean, short of the steel cutting (March or April, IIRC) and Destination D, there aren’t many other big opportunities for them to have a big reveal unless they just send something out of the blue. Whar informashun? WHAAAAAR!

Thanks for putting the leg work in on this one, I didn’t think to check the home port contracts to predict when new itineraries could show up. Our family’s probably going back to Bahamas/Caribbean for the first time in a while when we get back to cruising in 2021 at the earliest, so won’t be able to look at the biggest itineraries for a while, but good thoughts about when new stuff could be on the horizon. :-)
Edit: Can I also say I’m somewhat disappointed that DCL didn’t take the opportunity of the new itinerary release to provide ANY new information about the Wish? I mean, short of the steel cutting (March or April, IIRC) and Destination D, there aren’t many other big opportunities for them to have a big reveal unless they just send something out of the blue. Whar informashun? WHAAAAAR!

D23.

Next D23 Expo is Aug 2021. They can't wait that long. The initial itineraries for the Wish should be released this fall - when early 2022 cruises will be released. Now it's possible they release the 4 current ships and hold back the itineraries for the Wish until after Destination D (the biggest D23 event this year, November 20-22), if that is when they plan to reveal a lot of the details and features for the Wish. All that said, I'm very surprised at the lack of info on the Wish released so far.

Given the fact that any number of things could delay delivery of the Wish or her initial sail date, I don't see them making her part of the normal release this fall. They would probably want to make it some big to-do anyway.

The Dream and Fantasy were originally on different release schedules from the Magic and Wonder, gradually being brought closer until they started doing the entire fleet at once for 2015.

Your Welcome. Part of it was by accident that I thought to check the contracts. Happened to see one of them on the Blog, and started putting 2 and 2 together. The other part was I had been looking at MWs site for something else about a year or so ago, and found the hull numbers for the 3 ships, that answered a few questions, and also fills in some of the blanks recently. So I learned to think a little further outside the box.

With that said, past practice for DCL is when a new ship comes in, it goes to PC, and usually takes over 1 of the ships there. Then the next gets the other itin. Disney may lack in a lot of things, but keeping people in suspense is not 1 of them. Everything should be finalized, and just waiting on the ceremonial button pushing. DCL is going to hype this as much as they can. Id imagine that after that point, well start seeing things every few months.

LNG bunkerage capability will be the driving factor for homeport of the new ships. Dream/Fantasy have more flexibility logistically.
Yes and no. Right now, im not sure what Port Canaverals plans are for lng. I know they were looking at putting in a pipe and tanks, but havent seen anything recently. Ill look in a little bit but at least initially lng was going to be barged down from Savanah I think. Carnival had that set up for Mardi Gras and Disney was going to piggy back it. Theres something thats been bothering me about it and I cant put my finger on it.

I havent ever tried to book a DCL cruise when the inaugural sailings are being booked but I would imagine it would be quite a few cruises that the Wish will sail with all Platinum members as they will be able to book cruises a day before everyone else.

I would guess the first cruise booking will be mayhem and that DCL will fill much of the boat with executive, media, etc.

I would guess the first cruise booking will be mayhem and that DCL will fill much of the boat with executive, media, etc.

The actual maiden voyage will be all VIPs of one sort or another. It will be called a preview cruise or some such so that the "maiden voyage" will be open to the public. I don't think it, or the first couple after. will completely fill up by Platinum CC members but it could happen.

What did they do when they announced the Dream and Fantasy?

For the intial announcement it was announced on Feb 22 2007. IIRC it was in the Magics Atrium, by then DCL President Tom McAlpin This was a stand alone event.
First Steel cutting was the first week of March 2009. This was announced 1 week later when the names of the 2 new ships were announced on March 11th of 09.
They had another stand alone event on Oct 29th 2009. They had pictures, samples, renderings, and mock ups etc of the ship. Every area of the ship was represented in someway shape or form. This was about 1 month after D23.

Theres no telling what the Disney Media machine is planning this time around.

I havent ever tried to book a DCL cruise when the inaugural sailings are being booked but I would imagine it would be quite a few cruises that the Wish will sail with all Platinum members as they will be able to book cruises a day before everyone else.

Just using the Fantasy as an example, my wife and I booked the Fantasy Maiden several months after it was announced. They were selling cabins up until the last week prior to her sailing. I was looking every week or so, just for giggles, and the room inventory seemed to drop, then about 3 months out, a whole bunch of rooms became available. Whole categories that were sold out, suddenly had 10 and 12 cabins available.

Came across this nice tidbit from biz Journals today that was linked from the Orlando Business Journal.
The station and related rail infrastructure would provide a direct connection between Disney, the most visited theme park destination in the world, and South Florida. With a seamless connection to our planned station at PortMiami, the busiest cruise port in the world, cruise passengers would more conveniently be able to supplement their cruise voyage with a visit to Disney theme parks. The extension of our system from the Orlando airport to the Disney station would also serve as the first phase of a potential future connection to Tampa.
Emphasis provided by me.
So why couldn't the reverse be true. Headed to the parks, and want to add a cruise. You now have choices of ports. Looks like Virgin train is on pace for Orlando to Miami in 2022. With Disney working more with Port Miami and new ships coming on line. I can see new itineraries in the future, especially with the Lighthouse Point. I could 100% see the Dream or Fantasy moving to Port Miami and then adding in some more southern itineraries. Booking The magical express to the Miami port would include a train ride. Dropping one of the new ships there could be a real possibility as well. It could run short trips to Nassau, Castaway, and Lighthouse point, earning back it's construction cost quickly.

Yes and no. Right now, im not sure what Port Canaverals plans are for lng. I know they were looking at putting in a pipe and tanks, but havent seen anything recently. Ill look in a little bit but at least initially lng was going to be barged down from Savanah I think. Carnival had that set up for Mardi Gras and Disney was going to piggy back it. Theres something thats been bothering me about it and I cant put my finger on it.
Right now, there're only 4 ports in the US with LNG permanent refueling capability: Seattle, port of LA, the port between NOLA & Houston whose name is escaping me along with...Port Canaveral. Miami had/has work in progress to develop a barge delivered capability and other ports are discussing the issue, but (as far as I know) that's it. The majority of permanent LNG refueling capability exists in Europe and to a lesser extent Asia.

I was on the Magic MV and the Dream MV and both of those ships had cruises for VIP's and media BEFORE the actual passenger Maiden Voyage. I do plan on shooting for the MV of the Wish if possible.

MJ

:flower:
Hong Kong/Shanghai/ Tokyo Asian Disneyland Park Cruise?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter