New England vacation ideas

I grew up not far from Acadia. Staying in Bar Harbor at peak season is going to get pricey. Ellsworth is not far and would be more affordable if you don’t mind driving to get to the park and town.
We stayed in Trenton and rented an ocean front house for half the cost of a hotel in Bar Harbor. It was only about a 25 min drive to Acadia and Bar Harbor and lots of fun touristy stuff nearby.

First, I'm glad everyone had such a great time visiting Acadia/Bar Harbor! I live just outside of Bangor and I used to work in Bar Harbor- I'm just happy everyone had such a great time here!

How about southern Maine? Every August we rent (airbnb or vrbo) a cottage in York. It's not cheap, but it's way cheaper than hotels. York has beautiful, white sand beaches. Downtown York Beach is a bit tacky, but it's good, touristy/tacky. There are several breweries in town, if microbrews and live music are your thing. From York i's about a 10 minute drive south to Portsmouth, NH. I LOVE Portsmouth! There are incredible restaurants, history (visit Strawbery Banke), music and plays (check the schedule for Prescott Park), shopping, etc. Portland ME is about 45 mins north of York, Salem, MA is about an hour south, and Boston is about 90 mins south (depending on the traffic, and you can always drive to one of the 'burbs and take the T into town- that's the subway/train system). You could alternate beach days with travel days, and if you want you could even head to Salem, NH, and go to Canobie Lake Park for the day.

First, I'm glad everyone had such a great time visiting Acadia/Bar Harbor! I live just outside of Bangor and I used to work in Bar Harbor- I'm just happy everyone had such a great time here!

How about southern Maine? Every August we rent (airbnb or vrbo) a cottage in York. It's not cheap, but it's way cheaper than hotels. York has beautiful, white sand beaches. Downtown York Beach is a bit tacky, but it's good, touristy/tacky. There are several breweries in town, if microbrews and live music are your thing. From York i's about a 10 minute drive south to Portsmouth, NH. I LOVE Portsmouth! There are incredible restaurants, history (visit Strawbery Banke), music and plays (check the schedule for Prescott Park), shopping, etc. Portland ME is about 45 mins north of York, Salem, MA is about an hour south, and Boston is about 90 mins south (depending on the traffic, and you can always drive to one of the 'burbs and take the T into town- that's the subway/train system). You could alternate beach days with travel days, and if you want you could even head to Salem, NH, and go to Canobie Lake Park for the day.
Kittery outlets right there are fun too for a more overcast day.

We used to go to York but also like Ogunquit. There are no bad places to visit in Maine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter