New Florida bill allow doctors to refuse treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a legal expert please explain this new law? Does it also mean LGBTQ+ doctors and their allies can refuse to treat the group that made this law in the first place?
not only doctors, but also insurance companies (payers) can deny care based on a "moral" objection.

https://nbc-2.com/news/politics/202...mpanies-freedom-to-deny-care-to-patients/amp/

this article goes into more detail

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/poli...ience-based-health-care-law-does/70207064007/

in theory health care providers can't use it to deny care based on a patient's race, color, religion, sex or national origin, but it can be applied to treatments/patients associated with gender identity and sexuality. So essentially going after ALL gender affirming care (adults and minors) in the state of Florida... and this includes more mundane things like access to prescriptions and your medical records, meaning a entity can withhold your medical records simply if they disagree with your identity choices . Sig, I would like to think (and hope) that this will not stand a court challenge

Absolutely disgusting. I don't understand how a single person in this Country can support this. What people seem to not realize is that things like this snowball. They might ban something that you agree with, but what is to stop them from going further and further and controlling every aspect of our lives? This is how Hitler started with Germany also. Little steps and lies to cause outrage as they slowly kept taking rights away. Nobody is on the winning side of this kind of mentality. This is what happens when you don't teach proper history.

So a list of every member of congress that voted for this and any Adult family members who do not publicly denounce this would be helpful. Then doctors and insurances can deny help based on moral objections.

I cannot believe just how fast Florida has spiraled into true authoritarian insanity. Just a few years ago my fiancé and I were considering buying property in Wilton Manors/Fort Lauderdale. But with everything going on, we won't even travel to the state anymore. (And did we all see the teacher who is being investigated for showing Strange Worlds in her class?? And they are hauling kids out to interrogate them about the movie viewing. All because a main character happens to be gay. Just nuts).

The current regime needs to be displaced if I am to return. Even for Disney World.

I am so scared that so many Americans are sitting and letting this all pass. I have real worry that he’ll make it to presidency. So many red states passing things like this. We can’t learn from the past (hitler, slavery, no women’s rights etc) if we are banned from
Recognizing it and teaching it. I am so worried for all our LBGTQ folks soooo worried.

I know this won't be an acceptable position for some but here goes. Some people sincerely believe that certain treatments are wrong for whatever reason. This law means they can't be forced to do things they believe are wrong. It doesn't mean those procedures can't be done by other health care providers. It doesn't mean that those who won't hate you.

I know this won't be an acceptable position for some but here goes. Some people sincerely believe that certain treatments are wrong for whatever reason. This law means they can't be forced to do things they believe are wrong. It doesn't mean those procedures can't be done by other health care providers. It doesn't mean that those who won't hate you.
The issue is with the details. Should a pharmacist be allowed to refuse to fill a script for birth control if the patient is single? Should the pharmacist be allowed to ask if the purpose is for something other then birth control. Plan B. Should the pharmacist be allowed to ask if the reason is incest? Rape?

Not an issue in a big city....Some areas only have one or two drug stores.

Should a doctor be required to offer gender care? Probably not. Should an ER doctor be allowed to refuse treatment for patient receiving gender care.

The legislation is way to vague

Then those ppl shouldn't be doctors.

The issue is with the details. Should a pharmacist be allowed to refuse to fill a script for birth control if the patient is single? Should the pharmacist be allowed to ask if the purpose is for something other then birth control. Plan B. Should the pharmacist be allowed to ask if the reason is incest? Rape?

Not an issue in a big city....Some areas only have one or two drug stores.

Should a doctor be required to offer gender care? Probably not. Should an ER doctor be allowed to refuse treatment for patient receiving gender care.

The legislation is way to vague
REQUIREMENT TO PROVIDE EMERGENCY MEDICAL TREATMENT.—
section may not be construed to override any requirement to provide emergency medical treatment in accordance with state law or the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act, 42 U.S.C. s. 1395dd.

so there is that….

But at the end of the day, if you feel uncomfortable going to a city/state/location then you shouldn’t go. To be perfectly honest, that’s what I do. I cancelled a trip to Chicago because it doesn’t feel safe. I chose an Alaskan cruise that didn’t go out of Seattle because it didn't feel safe. I won’t go to California anymore because of the policies the governor has in place. I mean, I would like to go to DisneyLand because I’ve never been. And I’m sure if I stayed in the Disney “bubble” I would be OK. But to be honest it’s just not worth the risk in a state that seems to prioritize criminality over its law abiding citizens. So I totally get it.

So a list of every member of congress that voted for this and any Adult family members who do not publicly denounce this would be helpful. Then doctors and insurances can deny help based on moral objections.
It's not Congress, it's the FL state legislature....

If you believe that being transgender is "wrong," you won't be a doctor specializing in transgender care. So why is this law even necessary? If a transgender person goes to a doctor for a cold, why should that doctor be able to refuse care? Laws like these are only meant to hurt the already marginalized.

If you believe that being transgender is "wrong," you won't be a doctor specializing in transgender care. So why is this law even necessary? If a transgender person goes to a doctor for a cold, why should that doctor be able to refuse care? Laws like these are only meant to hurt the already marginalized.
A pharmacist could refuse to fill a script. Health Insurance might be able to limit coverage.

The law isn't necessarily if it only applied as you suggested

Then those ppl shouldn't be doctors.
Then those ppl shouldn't be doctors who are forced to perform services or procedures that they consider morally wrong. They should be able to provide all other care even if they won't or can't do things like perform abortions or transgender surgery. Just like we have doctors who specialize in cardiology, neurology or gynecology, why not have transgender specialty so doctors who don't object to these treatments can specialize in that care?

Then those ppl shouldn't be doctors who are forced to perform services or procedures that they consider morally wrong. They should be able to provide all other care even if they won't or can't do things like perform abortions or transgender surgery. Just like we have doctors who specialize in cardiology, neurology or gynecology, why not have transgender specialty so doctors who don't object to these treatments can specialize in that care?

What doctors are being forced to provide gender affirming care?

This law isn't saying doctors who don't want to provide gender-affirming care don't have to. This law is saying you can deny medical treatment if you have a moral objection. From the article:

"The law allows any medical provider — including doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers, pharmacists, mental health professionals, lab technicians, nursing home workers, and hospital administrators — as well as insurance companies and payment entities, the right to deny care on the basis of any conscientious objection."

"The newly signed law says denial of care can’t be based on a patient’s race, color, religion, sex, or national origin, but it provides no protections on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity."

Literally no one is forcing doctors to be gender care doctors.
Do you think ER doctors should be able to refuse care to red hat wearing bigots? Or folks with nazi tattoos?

By who's morals? Nobody gets to decide another person's morality on this. Least of all people who are not personally involved. There seems to be this incessant need by some to control others. Which is just fine for those who are doing the controlling, until of course, someone else decides that they don't like what YOU are doing and decide to control you. Everyone should really stop and think about that before they decide to be high and mighty. You are free to have and even give your opinion, that is free speech, but to try to decide what kind of medical care another gets is, is not acceptable. It should make everyone uncomfortable that anyone thinks that they can control other people's lives and personal decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter