New golf cart rules, you need insurance if not using disney carts!

Sjm9911

DIS Veteran
Ok , just got the email now. You need 100k/300k insurance and have to sign a waver. How this effects off site rentals and others who own thier own I have no idea. I will call this week and find out from the rental agency. I will also see if my car insurance covers it.

When we bought our cart, I took out a separate policy on it... Its through State Farm, and its $84.00 per year for the 100K/300K coverage. Most other campgrounds require coverage so I went ahead and took care of it...

When we bought our cart, I took out a separate policy on it... Its through State Farm, and its $84.00 per year for the 100K/300K coverage. Most other campgrounds require coverage so I went ahead and took care of it...
I am renting one. So, its probably a bit more complicated.

According to the new rules on the Disney website (and an article on the Disboards Facebook page), 3rd parties are no longer permitted to do golf cart rentals on Disney property. It says you may rent from Disney or bring your personally owned one with proof of insurance. I would call your rental company ASAP as it doesn't look like you will be able to rent from offsite anymore.

According to the new rules on the Disney website, 3rd parties are no longer permitted to do golf cart rentals on Disney property. It says you may rent from Disney or bring your personally owned one with proof of insurance. I would call your rental company ASAP as it doesn't look like you will be able to rent ftom offsite anymore.
They have always been like that, you can't do buisness on property but you can go off property and bring it on site. This is nothing new.

They have always been like that, you can't do buisness on property but you can go off property and bring it on site. This is nothing new.
But they are requiring you show your insurance policy with separate coverage for golf carts, sign an agreement and waiver. You would not have a policy under your name if it is from a rental company so that is where these rules are new. They are closing that loophole. No insurance policy under your name, you can't bring in the golf cart.

Last edited:
But they are requiring you show your insurance policy with separate coverage for golf carts. You would not have a policy under your name if it is from a rental company so that is where these rules are new. They are closing that loophole. No insurance policy under your name, you can't bring in the golf cart.
Not nessassarly, if I drive a rental car my insurance covers me. If I rent a hall I can get seprate insurance so I don't get sued. So I can get imsurance in my name on proparty I dont own. Addtionally, it dosen't state that the insurance has to be under you name, just that you have coverage. Now where that coverage comes from, how to obtain it, and where to get a slip of paper that states I am covered is the problem.

Not nessassarly, if I drive a rental car my insurance covers me. If I rent a hall I can get seprate insurance so I don't get sued. So I can get imsurance in my name on proparty I dont own. Addtionally, it dosen't state that the insurance has to be under you name, just that you have coverage. Now where that coverage comes from, how to obtain it, and where to get a slip of paper that states I am covered is the problem.
Yes, that is the problem as you can't use proof of insurance from the vendor because their blanket policy for all of their rentals is in their company name and would show you are using a 3rd party vendor. Car insurance is different where it covers most car rentals but I have never seen such insurance available for golf carts. Please post if you are able to find a way to get a temporary insurance policy for the golf cart rental as I am sure others would be interested to know. Fyi I did call Disney and they did say I had to show that all drivers of my personal cart had to be listed on the policy.

Following this. I have a camper rental from Meacham’s in April 2025 with golf cart rental (already paid for)

I wondered about carts bundled with trailer rentals. Personally I don't expect Disney will ask every toy hauler to drop its back door as it rolls through the entrance gate to see if folks are 'sneaking' in a cart.

In no time the vendors will offer temporary individual coverage just like when you purchase "insurance" at the rental car company that covers only the length of that specific rental. It will add a few dollars more and life will continue as before. :drive:3rd party vendors can't be stopped if the transaction between guest and vendor occurred off Disney property. Those rentals have been occurring for years now and Disney knows it.

Like most Disney policies, this is to cover DISNEY. As long as the guest HAS purchased an individual rider or insurance of any valid type, Disney is off the hook (which is all they care about).

Bama Ed

When we traveled with ours I had a rider on my auto policy that covered it. It was shown on the policy just like the other vehicles.
Perhaps Disney was actually paying attention to some of the issues with how folks used their own carts and the lawyers figured they needed to insulate themselves from a lawsuit. Cant say as I blame them after all the things I have seen.

Couple quick thoughts.

1. Ill be interested to see if Disney actually checks for proof of the policy. We have been to other campgrounds with the same rule, but was never mentioned when checking in.

2. We bought a policy one time before from Progressive and used at a Campground. When we returned home we cancelled the policy and only had to pay a pro rated price. Ended up costing about $30. Easy to apply for and cancel online.

If Disney does actually check I don't see this being a real big deal for those owning their own golf cart.

Hopefully Disney will enforce and make it safer on property because it is way to easy to hand the keys to a younger adult to have fun driving on property. I probably would have been guilty of that so thanks for updating us all. Every driver must be insured and have proof. They are on a policy.
I hope this is enforced strictly.
You will experience a lot of golf cart driving in nearby Celebration and a new Golf Cart Sales Store conveniently located nearby Publix but I doubt they are rental.

Last edited:
Hopefully Disney will enforce and make it safer on property because it is way to easy to hand the keys to a younger adult to have fun driving on property. I probably would have been guilty of that so thanks for updating us all. Every driver must be insured and have proof. They are on a policy.
I hope this is enforced strictly.

Is the under age driving of golf carts currently being enforced? I assume that has always been the rule.

Hopefully Disney will enforce and make it safer on property because it is way to easy to hand the keys to a younger adult to have fun driving on property.

It has been in the Disney Golf cart rules as far back as 2010 (my first FW visit) that all golf cart operators had to be 16+ with a valid drivers license. Driving permits did not count. That is not a change in the rules.

Now, how often in 14 years of being there I saw Disney actually enforce that? Never. If someone is being reckless they might actually enforce a rule for once.

The GC insurance is not a new thing. It is required at all Margarittaville locations, Anchor Down in TN and a lot of other RV resorts. Disney requiring it came as no shock really.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter