New information provided on Aulani website.

flair4gold

Earning My Ears
The following information was uploaded to the Aulani website last night:

• Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa is currently closed and a reopening date has not been identified.
  • Upon reopening, Aulani Resort rooms, experiences, restaurants and other offerings may be modified and will be limited in capacity and subject to limited availability or closure, based on direction from health experts and government officials to promote physical distancing. Offerings are not guaranteed.
It appears that even when Aulani opens that there is no guarantee restaurants or other activities will be available.

We were to go on September 2nd; but it is lookin more and more likely that Aulani will not be open for quite a long time. Also, Hawaii still has the 2-week quarantine required for those from the mainland.

Way too many question marks and restrictions to plan for Hawaii in the next few months. We just sadly cancelled a September trip - not sure the Gov of Hawaii will have us back, and not sure what will be open at Aulani or around Oahu - so we cancelled Aulani and our flights. Hope to try again in a few years, if it works out.

I live in NY where Covid has been a hot bed, and even our state will be mostly re-opened by mid-late July at the latest. Social distancing, reduced capacity, and all that stuff will still be in place but things will be open and operational. I can't imagine Aulani staying closed for drastically longer than necessary. But, with Hawaii being a long and expensive trip for most people, I probably would rather re-schedule with the uncertainties about what will even be open and available.

I just got an e-mail about a special offer at Aulani for stays between August 1 - December 21, so I imagine they hope to reopen by August.

It would be great if Aulani opened August 1! I wouldn't read too much into it, though. I got a staycation promotional email from Aulani on May 6 only to have them extend the resort closure a couple days later. I think Aulani and the other rest of the tourism industry is just swaying in the wind, hoping the governor announces a reopening plan soon.

The Aulani website is taking reservations for July 1, but none of the cast members I know have been called back to work so I doubt that's happening. If you book a room for July 1 and Disney cancels the reservation, they may send you an offer for 35% off your next stay, no restrictions. I received one after my March stay was cancelled, but not when my May stay (which was NOT a rebooking) was cancelled.

Last edited:
We did not get a rebooking offer for our May stay, either. We cancelled it before Aulani did, though, when we knew the trip wasn’t going to happen.

They called me earlier this month to cancel my June stay - when they went over the options, there was no mention of an offer until I probed and asked "If there were any benefits in rebooking" and then got the 35% off

We currently have an Aulani reservation for early August. We’re under no illusions that this trip will take place. Either Aulani will not have reopened or if it does reopen the experiences will be limited and not the quality trip that we had been hoping for for our our grandchildren’s first trip tp Hawaii. We would be flying from the east coast and the thought of facemasks on a long flight and transfers in other airports takes the joy out of the trip and adds more stress, especially since children are involved.
We are DVC members and made the reservation with borrowed points. We were so happy when we were able to get the reservation. At this point and are waiting to see what Disney will do. If we get close to the 30 day mark we will go ahead and cancel to avoid having the points go into holding.

We currently have an Aulani reservation for early August. We’re under no illusions that this trip will take place. Either Aulani will not have reopened or if it does reopen the experiences will be limited and not the quality trip that we had been hoping for for our our grandchildren’s first trip tp Hawaii. We would be flying from the east coast and the thought of facemasks on a long flight and transfers in other airports takes the joy out of the trip and adds more stress, especially since children are involved.
We are DVC members and made the reservation with borrowed points. We were so happy when we were able to get the reservation. At this point and are waiting to see what Disney will do. If we get close to the 30 day mark we will go ahead and cancel to avoid having the points go into holding.
Aulani probably cannot do anything until the Gov stops extending the order around travelers entering the islands, and that's currently through July 31 (as I'm sure you are already well aware). An early August trip is not looking good. Something to consider - folks have found that if they call MS now, while Aulani is closed - borrowed points for the Aulani reservations are being put back into the original use-year. Not sure if that's important to you or not, but it might salvage those points for a better option in the future.

They called me earlier this month to cancel my June stay - when they went over the options, there was no mention of an offer until I probed and asked "If there were any benefits in rebooking" and then got the 35% off

How far in advance did cancel on you? I'm waiting to hear about my July stay. I know I'm not going but if I could get a discount for next year, I don't mind waiting. ;) Also was there any time limit for how far in advance you could use the discount?

How far in advance did cancel on you? I'm waiting to hear about my July stay. I know I'm not going but if I could get a discount for next year, I don't mind waiting. ;) Also was there any time limit for how far in advance you could use the discount?
About two weeks out...

If you are sure you won't be going, I would cancel now, while you can still get your borrowed points put back. If you wait, and they suddenly announce they will open August 1st, you will not have a valid reason to cancel in DVC's eyes and may not get the borrowed points back.

If you are sure you won't be going, I would cancel now, while you can still get your borrowed points put back. If you wait, and they suddenly announce they will open August 1st, you will not have a valid reason to cancel in DVC's eyes and may not get the borrowed points back.

I agree, do it NOW! The governor is expected to announce the quarantine exemptions very soon, possibly today. Hotels will be scrambling to make reopening plans as soon as they know when the exemptions will begin.

Has anyone with reservations in July received a cancellation? I have not received it yet. I am wondering why Aulani is still allowing people to make reservations in July when quarantine has been extended.

Has anyone with reservations in July received a cancellation? I have not received it yet. I am wondering why Aulani is still allowing people to make reservations in July when quarantine has been extended.
Early or late July? If after July 15, I'd say do not expect a call before July 1st or so. If early July then probably worthwhile to give them a call to ask about the status of your stay...

Aulani is no longer taking bookings from July 1-14.

The quarantine will probably be extended until there is either a vaccine, there is herd immunity, or if the soon-to-be-announced quarantine exemption program drastically fails. Local hotels are planning to open around the time the quarantine exemption program begins. It's just a rumor, but lots of people have been saying the exemption program could start as early as July 15.

I've not heard a thing about our July 13 reservation.🙄

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter