New Jazz Kitchen pic makes me want to cry

This makes me so sad. We ate there for the first time during our trip last year and we were looking forward to dining there again next week.

I’m wondering now if I should try and snag an opening at Cafe Orleans instead. Would anyone recommend it over Jazz Kitchen?
I hear only good things about Cafe Orleans in recent blogs but doubt it's as good as Jazz Kitchen in terms of food. I'm sure if you go to Cafe Orleans it will be good but I found the Jazz Kitchen to be above most theme park food

Definitely has lost the Jackson Square feel. I mean...I go there for the excellent food and beignets. But the ambience was always spot on. Now it looks like a convention center dining hall. Not a big fan of that.

I like the looks of mid-century modern. I should, I grew up with it, lol! And I'd be OK with the new look if it was an entire re-do. But (I mentioned before) the way the Grand looms over the central part of DTD will never look 'right'. And mid-century with Craftsman just doesn't 'meld'. So unless they're going to 're-face' the entire length of DTD AND the section of the Grand above it, it isn't going to work. At least, it isn't going to work as they intended. It's going to look 'mish mash'.

Disney used to be the very best at managing 'sightlines', but since the ToT/GotG redo, they've lost their way.

I like the looks of mid-century modern. I should, I grew up with it, lol! And I'd be OK with the new look if it was an entire re-do. But (I mentioned before) the way the Grand looms over the central part of DTD will never look 'right'. And mid-century with Craftsman just doesn't 'meld'. So unless they're going to 're-face' the entire length of DTD AND the section of the Grand above it, it isn't going to work. At least, it isn't going to work as they intended. It's going to look 'mish mash'.

Disney used to be the very best at managing 'sightlines', but since the ToT/GotG redo, they've lost their way.
I too grew up with mid-century modern. I never even liked it as a kid; I was in love with European castles and villages! I adored fairy tale villages and found the color schemes and "clean" lines of mcm to be boxy & ugly. Our house included white and aqua vinyl chairs and couches with orange and green accents and the ubiquitous "atomic age" clock. I can view it somewhat nostalgically now, but I thought it was horrendously ugly then, even as a kid. I still think it looks cheap, ha ha.

I actually like it when not everything fits a single theme. As long is it's cohesive in some way, I'm all for architectural variety. I never felt like Jazz Kitchen's NOLA theme was out of place because it's Disney and it's full of quirks. I'm even ok with the mcm theme as long as it's not an excuse to remove all of the interesting details and make things into box structures that are designed to be easy to maintain but not visually stimulating. I hope they don't tear down the old Rainforest Cafe building, but of course, it doesn't fit the new theme, either.

And ugh, those new orange plastic chairs and cheap square tables at Jazz Kitchen...

And ugh, those new orange plastic chairs and cheap square tables at Jazz Kitchen...
Exactly. It feels like a temporary building- along with the odd "tarp" type soft covering upstairs roof with literally no theme or color. Not the construction coverings, the actually final overhang on 2nd floor outdoor seating.

Starbucks (and even ones inside Target) have more theme and nicer seating. ;)

Last edited:

Ordinary Adventures on Youtube just posted a video the other day with glowing reviews of the new menu. It's still associated with Ralph Brennan, and he was even in their video. Yes, I'm still really bummed about the new decor, but we have reservations for our trip in July and we're definitely looking forward to trying to the food.

We've dropped it from our list. For our next visit, we are dining off site at Morton's Steakhouse. (This isn't so much in favor of Morton's ... but that we've moved our dining to OFF SITE in rejection of Disney's recent choices.)

Ordinary Adventures on Youtube just posted a video the other day with glowing reviews of the new menu. It's still associated with Ralph Brennan, and he was even in their video. Yes, I'm still really bummed about the new decor, but we have reservations for our trip in July and we're definitely looking forward to trying to the food.
"Hopefully the new food is better than the new design" was the line from the video that really stood out to me. Apparently, that is the case. I sure wish they'd left the original design alone, though.

The food can be the best in the world and I still wouldn't eat at that cafeteria looking place for that price.
The prices seem high. The lunch menu is better than the dinner menu for me. But I am not planning to eat there during my week long trip in August. If I want to eat in a strip mall type cafeteria style restaurant. I can eat there at home - which I don't!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter