New policy for reservations based on check IN date

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmc33

DIS Veteran
Yesterday I called and reserved the first night of our planned trip to BWV January 18 - 23, 2009. When I called this morning to add the second night, member services put me on hold and then came back to the line to tell me that she was able to reserve all of my nights through the check-out date on Jan. 23rd. She said they started a new system this morning where you can make your reservation based on check-IN date + 7 nights (rather than check-OUT date).

I don't know if this has been posted. But, I did not know this change was coming.

This is correct! I just was about to post the same thing. Got conceirge at AKL for the whole trip, yeah!!!! I only had 3 more mornings to call, too bad it didn't come sooner, but it's greatly appreciated. This is good at both the 11 month mark and 7 month mark. MS said it's just another way to get customer satisfaction.:dance3: :banana:

I don't know if this has been posted. But, I did not know this change was coming.[/QUOTE]

No it was not, we were the first to know this morning

I was suspecting it had not been posted yet, since the CM told me just found out this morning when she logged in. But, you never know when people get inside information.

I was thrilled! I was surprised when I called yesterday and found out that a 1-BR standard view unit was available for the dates I wanted -- but, was told to call day by day to be safe. Now we have it for the entire week. We save points which could mean another trip sooner than I thought! ;)

I just found out a few minutes ago when I called and the timing couldn't have been better!!!!!!!!!!!! GOT AKV studio Concierge for DD and I in May!!! YIPPEE

I think this is a win-win... it's more convenient for DVC owners and it should help member services too, reducing the day by day calls.

Overall, I think this is a very good change. Normally, I'll be grateful for not having to deal with calling on a daily basis in order to feel I'm doing everything I can to get my reservation.

That said, it stinks when all you want is one night (like the night before our cruise in February), and you know have a much lower chance of getting that one night.

This is a great way to eliminate the day-by-day phone calls to MS at 11 and 7 months ... however ... it adds a potential for abuse if members really want a 5 night reservation (Sun - Thurs) but can now call to reserve 7 nights (Friday - Thurs) and then later cancel the Fri/Sat - thus getting a 2 day booking advantage over those who wait until the Sunday may be reserved.

If that's the case, MS may need to have a policy where later modifications where the check-in date is dropped from the reservation would require that the reservation would be cancelled and rebooked - allowing the waitlist to pick up any freed up dates in the meantime.

It will be interesting to see how this works as time goes by. In principal, it's a great way to reduce phone calls for MS and headaches for members. There is certainly the potential for someone to call for a hard-to-get reservation, be the first one thru at 9:00am and have no availability already because that date was already reserved 2 days ago.

Stay Tuned! :)

This is a great way to eliminate the day-by-day phone calls to MS at 11 and 7 months ... however ... it adds a potential for abuse if members really want a 5 night reservation (Sun - Thurs) but can now call to reserve 7 nights (Friday - Thurs) and then later cancel the Fri/Sat - thus getting a 2 day booking advantage over those who wait until the Sunday may be reserved.

If that's the case, MS may need to have a policy where later modifications where the check-in date is dropped from the reservation would require that the reservation would be cancelled and rebooked - allowing the waitlist to pick up any freed up dates in the meantime.

It will be interesting to see how this works as time goes by. In principal, it's a great way to reduce phone calls for MS and headaches for members. There is certainly the potential for someone to call for a hard-to-get reservation, be the first one thru at 9:00am and have no availability already because that date was already reserved 2 days ago.

Wow - good point, Doc! :thumbsup2

popcorn::

I can see both the good and bad with this. For those who want to book limited availability rooms (concierge, GV's) I could see them calling and not have all of the dates they want available because someone already called in and got the dates.

The MS rep. I was talking to this morning did not even know about this. Thank goodness I looked here while on the phone with her or I would have lost my last two nights.

Maybe it will work like the dining reservations (180+10) and not release all the rooms to the new system on the +7, and save some rooms for exactly 11 months. This way, you would still have a chance for a one day reservation, or a shorter one.

Does anyone know the details of how this works?

You would think with a major change like this there would be an announcement on the members' website but I just checked and .... nothing!

I agree that this will make things easier if everyone plays by the rules. I just hope MS has something in place to stop people from gaming the system.

I thought this was a great idea, until I saw Doc's post. Hopefully most people will use it honestly, and not take advantage of it in the way Doc says.

I also hope that if this does become a problem, DVC will recognize it (especially repeat offenders), and do something about it.

As soon as I read this thread these were my exact thoughts and I didn't want to post that I was not certain this was going to be a good thing but now I will say " I am reserving judgment as I too can see the potential for abuse with this system just as WebmasterDoc has outlined" .

As soon as I read this thread these were my exact thoughts and I didn't want to post that I was not certain this was going to be a good thing but now I will say " I am reserving judgment as I too can see the potential for abuse with this system just as WebmasterDoc has outlined" .

I said something to the MS rep. I was talking to and she said "yes, you are right, it will probably happen". It's sad, but true.

I also hope that if this does become a problem, DVC will recognize it (especially repeat offenders), and do something about it.
At least it should be easy to spot the repeat offenders. With the previous system lots of us called day by day to book at busy times. Now the only people making repeat calls for one reservation will be those gaming the system. I don't know what MS can do about it other than "Whoops! While trying to change your check-in date, the entire reservation disappeared and went to someone on the waiting list. We'll put you on the VIP waiting list and hope something opens up."

I am sure that there could be some people working the system, but at least they are limiting it to a one week reservation. I am sure if it becomes a wide spread issue they will have to adjust somehow.

But I think the fact that there will be far less members calling every day to do day by day reservations will definitely help the system as a whole. Not to mention, I think members who book "standard" weeks might be a little more likely to get their whole week without waitlists, versus having every other day ending up as a waitlist (I do realize that there may be some overlaps....but I think most people vacation in similar patterns.)

Maybe it's a trial run of something they would like to permanently implement. Otherwise, as LisaS posted, why would they not have an announcement about it on the Member site? It's not really fair not to give people notice when most will still be waiting to call until their check-out date and may miss the opportunity to get what they want.

Personally, I liked the way that it was. If I really wanted a particular reservation I was on the phone at 11 or 7 months first thing in the morning, day-by-day if I had to. It seemed like a level playing field. Everyone had the same opportunity at those critical booking windows.

This new plan sounds like a great idea in theory, it may lessen MS's call volume, but I think once people figure out how to work the system (and they will) it's going to be a mess all the way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter