New RIV and SSR incentives

My math says this promo is almost the same:

150 points X $217 = $32,550
- $2,550 Current Member Incentive
- $1,000 Riviera Special Offer
- $1,000 Welcome Home
- $20 x 150 points = $3,000 Magical Beginnings

$25,000 = $166.67 / point before closing costs

With the 6 extra years, it's actually a better deal (cost per point for life of contract) than the Grand Floridian "Fire Sale" this summer.

Thanks for the calculations... People tend to use the Magical Beginnings promotion as an incentive, but I don't tend to use it in my calculations. I see it more as a smoke screen and people should compare apples to apples.

In 2021, I purchased 250 points direct for about $175/point with the incentives at the time. I got all my points, including the 2021 UY points. Now, 150 points is $166.67 a point, but you won't get your 2023 UY points with Magical Beginnings. On the surface it seems like a comparable/better deal than before, but you lose out on that first year. In other words, you are buying fewer points for the lifetime of the contract.

I guess it's DVC's addon-itis psychology...and it works. I mean, if I rent out all my RIV points for 11 alternating years at $20/point, I'm actually getting my contract for free...right? :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the calculations... People tend to use the Magical Beginnings promotion as an incentive, but I don't tend to use it in my calculations. I see it more as a smoke screen and people should compare apples to apples.

In 2021, I purchased 250 points direct for about $175/point with the incentives at the time. I got all my points, including the 2021 UY points. Now, 150 points is $166.67 a point, but you won't get your 2023 UY points with Magical Beginnings. On the surface it seems like a comparable/better deal than before, but you lose out on that first year. In other words, you are buying fewer points for the lifetime of the contract.

I guess it's DVC's addon-itis psychology...and it works. I mean, if I rent out all my RIV points for 11 alternating years at $20/point, I'm actually getting my contract for free...right? :)
Iā€™ve never done it as I wanted as many points as I could get to use for a Grand Villaā€¦. but for clarificationā€¦If you got a March UY right now then you would use MB on the 23 points and then get another set to travel on after March 24.

So, it doesnā€™t have to be giving up a year of a trip, more that your are not getting double points your first yearā€¦

Iā€™ve never done it as I wanted as many points as I could get to use for a Grand Villaā€¦. but for clarificationā€¦If you got a March UY right now then you would use MB on the 23 points and then get another set to travel on after March 24.

So, it doesnā€™t have to be giving up a year of a trip, more that your are not getting double points your first yearā€¦
Agreed. Either way, you are losing something to gain something. And that's hardly what I would call an "incentive" or "promotion".

Agreed. Either way, you are losing something to gain something. And that's hardly what I would call an "incentive" or "promotion".
I bought a double loaded resale contract and sold off the first year of points to help pay for the buy-in costā€¦ so I can imagine itā€™s nice to have a guaranteed buyer of the points @ $20pp and not to have to pay broker middleman fees or deal with the risk of a renter.

I view it as an incentive for me personally, since I don't need any more points for next year. I would be very difficult to get $20/pp for them any other way, so it effectively lowers my cost per point. Is it a slam dunk deal maker? Nah but it's an incentive. For other situations I agree it's a trade off. Nice to have the option IMO

If you donā€™t consider that a promo then donā€™t bother looking at the sign and stay promo from DVCRM šŸ˜‚ but in all seriousness I see it just as a way to lower the barrier to entry. If you actually have a use for the points right now it doesnā€™t make sense to use it but for someone who doesnā€™t have a trip coming up soon or simply doesnā€™t need the double points, itā€™s a much better deal than having to go through a broker because thereā€™s no broker fees or taxes.

Reactions: EYL
Thank you @intamin Very sound advice. We do like RIV after a walk through last year and the location having access to an extra park that we currently don't have non-bus transport to. We would want to stay there and own there. After hearing it is just an OK deal, we might have to sit this one out and see what Poly2/RIV has to offer once Poly2 comes out. We really do like the location and Skyliner access that RIV offers though.
I think it is pretty good deal, while short of the Grand Flo blowout it also has more years left on the contract than GF. Plus with the Magical Beginnings, even better. Buy where you like to stay, RIV is our favorite with skyliner to 2 parks (we also have BLT, GFV and CCV for comparison).

If this is your only direct contract I would not split it up. The 150 points together or split up will give you direct benefits. But if you pass it down to kids, it needs to be in the 150 form to retain direct benefits.

Thatā€™s annoying (and Iā€™m from USA). Seems like they could do something else for international if itā€™s a legal thing.
It's probably a tax thing. You are selling back your first year's points for a very attractive price. This could possibly be treated as income in many jurisdictions which could lead to income tax for the buyer and at least administrative hassle for Disney.

Iā€™m trying to decide if itā€™s worth it to sell our 200 poly resale points and buy 200 direct at RIV. We would really like to own direct points but we are torn between giving up Poly as a home resort because we love staying there.

Poly RIV and GFL are probably too 3 for us so this choice is tough. We almost jumped on this during the VGF fire sale.

RIV is my top resort and if I was in the position to buy now...and needed 150....I would jump on it. But, DD is getting married in 2025 now and I have to show restraint....not easy when this would get me to 1050 points and put me in the 1000 club....lol
@Sandisw would you mind sharing why itā€™s your top resort? Just curious šŸ˜Š

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter