New route from I-4 north of Orlando to WDW

joelkfla

DIS Veteran
The ramp from westbound I-4 near Sanford to the Wekiva Pkwy SR-429 is opening tomorrow, 10/21/22. Drivers coming south on I-4 will be able to completely bypass Orlando by taking this exit and following SR-429 all the way down to the Western Way exit, which leads to WDW's western gate. It will be expensive, though. The FL Turnpike says the toll will be about $7 with a transponder, including E-ZPass. Without a transponder, it's about $12.

The ramps going in the other direction, heading away from Orlando, may not open until next year. And Google has not yet added most of the new Wekiva Pkwy to its maps yet, not even sections that have been open for over a year.

https://www.cflroads.com/news/artic...4-is-major-leap-forward-in-completing-beltway

https://www.yahoo.com/now/ramp-connects-drivers-westbound-4-162147118.html

Just to clarify: Even though that final section of SR-429 is still under construction in the northbound direction, you can still take SR-429 leaving WDW to I-4 heading north. You'll just be diverted to SR-46 for the last couple of miles before I-4, as can be seen on the map in the 2nd part of the video. I haven't seen it myself, but I understand that that stretch of SR-46 has been rebuilt from the old 2-lane into a modern and spacious divided 4-lane, as part of the project.

The ramp from westbound I-4 near Sanford to the Wekiva Pkwy SR-429 is opening tomorrow, 10/21/22. Drivers coming south on I-4 will be able to completely bypass Orlando by taking this exit and following SR-429 all the way down to the Western Way exit, which leads to WDW's western gate. It will be expensive, though. The FL Turnpike says the toll will be about $7 with a transponder, including E-ZPass. Without a transponder, it's about $12.

The ramps going in the other direction, heading away from Orlando, may not open until next year. And Google has not yet added most of the new Wekiva Pkwy to its maps yet, not even sections that have been open for over a year.

https://www.cflroads.com/news/artic...4-is-major-leap-forward-in-completing-beltway

https://www.yahoo.com/now/ramp-connects-drivers-westbound-4-162147118.html

Oh, awesome, I didn't realize it was opening so soon! This will be great for when my mom drives from Daytona to our house in Four Corners.

Just to clarify: Even though that final section of SR-429 is still under construction in the northbound direction, you can still take SR-429 leaving WDW to I-4 heading north. You'll just be diverted to SR-46 for the last couple of miles before I-4, as can be seen on the map in the 2nd part of the video. I haven't seen it myself, but I understand that that stretch of SR-46 has been rebuilt from the old 2-lane into a modern and spacious divided 4-lane, as part of the project.

We just took this route going to my mom's. It was only about a mile or so on 46 after we got off 429. Very nice.

Note, though, that 429 is under construction from south of the Turnpike to north of Maitland and has very narrow shoulders in that area. I will be so glad when that's done!

I'm waiting for the west bound toll road to open. The one that takes 417 traffic and bypasses 4 all the way past Champions Gate!
Oh well, a guy can dream, right?

For real. The Champions Gate area on I-4 is a nightmare.

Where 417, World drive and 192 all try to squish onto I-4 at the same place. Came all the way from Key West and this was the first place we hit traffic. And it's this way every time! Please can we have a bypass? :crazy2:

417 to I-4.jpg

(Sorry about the smashed butterfly in front of the camera)

Where 417, World drive and 192 all try to squish onto I-4 at the same place. Came all the way from Key West and this was the first place we hit traffic. And it's this way every time! Please can we have a bypass? :crazy2:

View attachment 712244

(Sorry about the smashed butterfly in front of the camera)

Bypass which way though?

That's definitely a "smooshpoint" on I-4, but for me it's usually heading from 4 Corners to Sea World area, and if I-4's really bad I can subject myself to the lights on south I-Drive instead.

Looks like you're talking about getting West to Tampa? One thing I love about staying in 4C area is just being able to get on I-4 at 27 and avoiding Championsgate/Celebration altogether :duck:

Thanks OP! Will be trying out the new 429 route on Saturday!

Bypass which way though?

That's definitely a "smooshpoint" on I-4, but for me it's usually heading from 4 Corners to Sea World area, and if I-4's really bad I can subject myself to the lights on south I-Drive instead.

Looks like you're talking about getting West to Tampa? One thing I love about staying in 4C area is just being able to get on I-4 at 27 and avoiding Championsgate/Celebration altogether :duck:

Thanks OP! Will be trying out the new 429 route on Saturday!
You're correct, I'm west of 417 about 25 miles.

Welp I totally didn’t see the new sign until I was just past the exit! It comes much farther north than I expected; even before the Seminole County sign. Ended up catching 429 from farther down.

Will definitely be a good route once they finish construction on 429 between the Turnpike and 192. Still just two narrow lanes, but they are working on it.

I would NOT recommend this, 429 veers very far west of Orlando (all the way to Apopka and Ocoee) before looping back towards WDW, this adds unnecessary travel time and extra miles to your trip in addition to hefty tolls.. I-4 is by far the most direct route to WDW and its free, even with traffic, it will still be faster than taking 429..

Anyone that is suggesting 429 is not familiar with Orlando and is underestimating how far west 429 veers from WDW.. 429 was designed for locals that live west of Orlando (Apopka, Winter Garden, Clermont, Lake County, etc.), it was not designed as a "bypass" to I-4..

Coming from central NC, only 5 minutes will be added to my 9 hour 18 min drive according to Google Maps (not that it's always correct). If that means I get to skip the insanity of I-4 in Orlando on Thanksgiving Weekend, it's probably worth it.

I would NOT recommend this, 429 veers very far west of Orlando (all the way to Apopka and Ocoee) before looping back towards WDW, this adds unnecessary travel time and extra miles to your trip in addition to hefty tolls.. I-4 is by far the most direct route to WDW and its free, even with traffic, it will still be faster than taking 429..

Anyone that is suggesting 429 is not familiar with Orlando and is underestimating how far west 429 veers from WDW.. 429 was designed for locals that live west of Orlando (Apopka, Winter Garden, Clermont, Lake County, etc.), it was not designed as a "bypass" to I-4..
Agreed! Absolutely no reason to take 429 from up there. The tolls are ridiculously high and you go so many miles out of the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter