New Security Procedures

OlliePop27

Mouseketeer
I'm reading reports of new security procedures causing massive backups at all checkpoints.

Does anyone have more details or a report specifically as to Harbor side wait times?

I've seen pictures of long lines everywhere. I am going tomorrow. We park in Mickey and Friends.

The issue is that guests have things in their pockets that don't go through the bag check. They take them out before the metal detector and it is difficult for security at the metal detector to see what the person had in their pocket. I'm guilty of that. I keep my phone in my back pocket. I open my backpack to be physically checked and then throw my phone on top of it before I go through the metal detector. However, I'm not sneaking in anything that isn't allowed in the park.

From what I understand, with the new system, guests empty their pockets completely at the beginning (at the physical bag check) and CM push the keys, phone, wallet, bags, etc. down the table to the metal detector and you pick it up after you walk through the metal detector.

Last edited:
The issue is that guests have things in their pockets that don't go through the bag check. They take them out before the metal detector and it is difficult for security at the metal detector to see what the person had in their pocket. I'm guilty of that.
Do you mean that if a security person finds a banned object they can't tell who it belongs to?

We hit rope drop on Thursday and got through security in no time. Friday at around 11 the lines were even shorter. Today was a rest day but we went to DD and the hotels at around 3 and had no wait at all. However when we came back to DD from the DLH, the security line was incredibly long. This was around 5:00 or so.

The security change around the plexiglass doesn’t seem like it would lead to huge backups at all. I did feel like most of the security inspections though are a little more thorough then they have been in the last

I went through security twice today. Once at dtd, which was the old style without the plexi glass but the guard was slowly going through each pocket of each persons bags. The 2nd time was at the structure with the new plexiglass. They now check your bag at the plexi glass which is next to the metal detector and same thing it was super slow going through each pocket.

I wish that the security guard union would get off of what ever high horse they continue to sit on with the WDW style screeners. Almost every other venue around town with security uses that type of system now.

Thanks everyone for reporting back. It is very helpful.

I appreciate if people can keep reporting back in the coming weeks. I assume the new policy will hopefully be tweaked and/or wait times start to flow better after some time passes. Having to wait 45 minutes for something that used to take less than 10 minutes is not exactly appealing, so I hope improvements are quickly implemented.

I'm really interested in reports about security experiences between 4-5 pm on Harbor and DLH if people are willing to share experiences from this weekend forward, especially Memorial Day weekend! I'm not so worried about rope drop wait times, but coming back into the parks after a midday break or Goofy’s dinner.

Last edited:
I was there at rope drop, the day they implemented it. There were waits, but more because they were figuring out how to do this. Spoke to a CM asking her if she thought the new system would work and she was very skeptical 😆

I really don't get why security is so different at DLR vs WDW and has been for years. And they're ruder at DLR than WDW too? Figure it out. People are paying way too much money to start their experience on such a sour note.
I've heard it's a "test." I'm assuming if people start consistently waiting in long security lines they will pivot. Disney has a financial interest in people not standing in long security lines. Less time buying food and merchandise, not to mention guest dissatisfaction.

I wish that the security guard union would get off of what ever high horse they continue to sit on with the WDW style screeners. Almost every other venue around town with security uses that type of system now.
Is this why Disneyland doesn’t have the scanners like WDW? I just assumed Disneyland didn’t want to spend the money on the scanners. The scanners are SO much easier. And people still get flagged and need to have their bag checked. And I remember seeing tons of security at WDW still. 🤷‍♀️

It’s super frustrating to start your day in a long slow moving security line and then a long slow moving entrance gate line. We always get behind a huge group of people who all need photos taken🤣😂 I just hope they start to streamline both processes.

No, what I mean is that security standing on the back side of the metal detector is watching the person going through the metal detector. They aren't watching the other people who have already had their bags checked and are waiting to go through the detector. That's where stuff gets slipped from a pocket into an already checked bag.

Let's say I want to bring my vape pen into the park. I don't put it in my backpack so it isn't seen during bag check. After bag check, I take my phone, keys and vape pen and put them in my backpack so I can walk through the metal detector. The bag check security isn't paying attention as they are already checking someone else's bag. The metal detector security is watching the person in front of me or, from their vantage point, didn't see that my vape pen was hidden behind my phone as I slid it into my backpack.
I never thought about that. I actually saw someone vaping in DTD on Friday and I was wondering how they got the vape pen through.

Is this why Disneyland doesn’t have the scanners like WDW? I just assumed Disneyland didn’t want to spend the money on the scanners. The scanners are SO much easier. And people still get flagged and need to have their bag checked. And I remember seeing tons of security at WDW still. 🤷‍♀️
I haven't been through the WDW screeners. I'm not sure what they will detect.

Recently, at Disneyland, I saw security confiscate a plastic container of marijuana. Would the WDW scanner have picked that up? This was on Bats Day/Goth Day when there was so much metal on guests' clothing that almost everyone had to be scanned with a wand.

Recently, I saw them confiscate a plastic portable child's urinal (https://www.amazon.com/ONEDONE-Portable-Child-Potty-Urinal-Emergency-Training/dp/B01AOW90MCfrom) from the bottom of a stroller. Would the WDW scanner have picked that up?

I get that people don't like waiting in lines, but I'm surprised by some of the animosity on this thread. I appreciate that Disney goes to such great lengths to keep the parks clean and safe. An important part of maintaining that environment is passing through security.

Last edited:
I haven't been through the WDW screeners. I'm not sure what they will detect.

Recently, at Disneyland, I saw security confiscate a plastic container of marijuana. Would the WDW scanner have picked that up? This was on Bats Day/Goth Day when there was so much metal on guests' clothing that almost everyone had to be scanned with a wand.

Recently, I saw them confiscate a plastic portable child's urinal (https://www.amazon.com/ONEDONE-Portable-Child-Potty-Urinal-Emergency-Training/dp/B01AOW90MCfrom) from the bottom of a stroller. Would the WDW scanner have picked that up?

I get that people don't like waiting in lines, but I'm surprised by some of the animosity on this thread. I appreciate that Disney goes to such great lengths to keep the parks clean and safe. An important part of creating that environment is passing through security.
I’m all for keeping the parks as safe as possible. No issues with that. No animosity here. If Disney keeps the security process consistent, that would be great too. In my experience, it is not consistent. Sometimes my bag is hardly checked. Other times, they check every zipper pocket (which is fine and I think they should).

I know when walking through the WDW scanners, you need to hold out battery packs away from your person so you don’t get flagged for that. I’ve heard to hold out anything metal, so I also hold out my metal water bottle. I’ve also read that people get flagged for things such as glasses cases. So pretty “small” items.

It is frustrating to stand in a really long line before you even enter the parks. Disney could have a better system in place. Maybe more bag check areas with more security if they aren’t willing to do the scanners. They could make the process less frustrating for their guests if they wanted to.

It is frustrating to stand in a really long line before you even enter the parks. Disney could have a better system in place. Maybe more bag check areas with more security if they aren’t willing to do the scanners. They could make the process less frustrating for their guests if they wanted to.
Absolutely! Having more lines would make a difference. Of course, that means more employees and more $$$.

They are supposed to check every zippered pocket. I bring a backpack and I rarely go through without them checking every zippered compartment. Sometimes they have me open my wallet or eyeglass case. That makes sense as things (vape pens, pot, etc) can be hidden in eyeglass cases. I usually put my eyeglasses in sock cases so that they can feel the contents from the outside. I used to have a metal keychain of a college mascot. The mascot has fur which was kind of spikey on the keychain. It was often inspected at security. Looking that the list of what is prohibited, it says, "items with spikes" so I stopped bringing that keychain into the parks. It also says that razor blades are prohibited which is why the letter opener was not allowed in the parks.

For us, the line to pay for parking usually takes longer than the line to get through security. I wish they would entice people to pay in advance so they could just scan everyone in. At Dodger Stadium, parking is $35 if you pay in advance and $50 if you pay at the gate. Disneyland's parking vouchers are the same price regardless of when you pay.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this new security stuff is at the Toy Story lot? I’m planning to go on Friday and if it’s going to take an hour I’ll want to leave a bit earlier to get there. The last few times I’ve gone they have me open up all the zippers on my bag and go through it but never had any issues. Sure, they can be slow but it’s been fine. I do wish they’d get the WDW style scanners.

I always bring a sling bag with my meds and some wipes and maybe a pair of shorts or jacket and a drink or two. I always wonder if they’ll question my drinks but they allow us to bring them right? Gotta have my electrolytes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter