New Security Procedures

Does anyone know if this new security stuff is at the Toy Story lot? I’m planning to go on Friday and if it’s going to take an hour I’ll want to leave a bit earlier to get there. The last few times I’ve gone they have me open up all the zippers on my bag and go through it but never had any issues. Sure, they can be slow but it’s been fine. I do wish they’d get the WDW style scanners.

I always bring a sling bag with my meds and some wipes and maybe a pair of shorts or jacket and a drink or two. I always wonder if they’ll question my drinks but they allow us to bring them right? Gotta have my electrolytes!
There's a Reddit post from someone waiting in the security line this morning, one of the comments there mentioned that the Toy Story security was not long. Not sure if that means the procedure hasn't changed or there are just less people there.

I’m all for keeping the parks as safe as possible. No issues with that. No animosity here. If Disney keeps the security process consistent, that would be great too. In my experience, it is not consistent. Sometimes my bag is hardly checked. Other times, they check every zipper pocket (which is fine and I think they should).

I know when walking through the WDW scanners, you need to hold out battery packs away from your person so you don’t get flagged for that. I’ve heard to hold out anything metal, so I also hold out my metal water bottle. I’ve also read that people get flagged for things such as glasses cases. So pretty “small” items.

It is frustrating to stand in a really long line before you even enter the parks. Disney could have a better system in place. Maybe more bag check areas with more security if they aren’t willing to do the scanners. They could make the process less frustrating for their guests if they wanted to.
When many people are paying nearly $200 per person per day to visit, they have a reasonable expectation to enter the paid for attraction in a safe and timely manner. In this day and age, it is possible to both keep people safe AND implement a speedy security process that does not require people to wait for extended times.

When people are paying the current prices, safe and speedy entrance should be the expectation and demanded by guests. Letting them off the hook for implementing a slow and outdated process gives them license to stick with a non-optimal strategy.

Last edited:
Is this why Disneyland doesn’t have the scanners like WDW? I just assumed Disneyland didn’t want to spend the money on the scanners. The scanners are SO much easier. And people still get flagged and need to have their bag checked. And I remember seeing tons of security at WDW still. 🤷‍♀️

It’s super frustrating to start your day in a long slow moving security line and then a long slow moving entrance gate line. We always get behind a huge group of people who all need photos taken🤣😂 I just hope they start to streamline both processes.
Yup. They’ve tested the WDW ones at least 2-3 times since summer 2020 and they tested a different brand last year. They have yet to install them.

In my experience, it is not consistent. Sometimes my bag is hardly checked. Other times, they check every zipper pocket (which is fine and I think they should).
This has been my experience, too. I always open all the zippers in my purse and backpack, but sometimes they barely even glance inside. I love the idea of metal detectors or whatever it is WDW uses.

Does anyone have a picture of the new security system? What's the plexiglass people are talking about?

Were there so many incidents with dangerous items that this change was necessary?

I am all for keeping the parks as safe as possible, but if the old method lasted for years with no or little incidents, then is it worth the change? Or did something happen in recent years that made Disney rethink their methods?

Someone who wants to do harm will find a way.

We got to the parks around noon today. It took less than 10 min to get through M&F security and onto a tram. The bag check person is closer to the metal detector than they had been previously. They ask if you have taken everything out of you pocket before they check your bag. For the person in front of me, security opened their eye glass case and examined their assortment of keychains.

On the tram, the CM on the mic announced that smoking and vaping were prohibited in both parks as well as in the promenade between parks and in DTD. Tonight is grad night. I don't know if the extra announcement was because of grad night or if it is a new general announcement.

When we left at 3 pm, there were fewer security lines and they looked maybe 50% longer than when we arrived.

Last edited:
The problem with the WDW scanners at DLR is the faster rate of getting people through them - it would completely overload the Esplanade on busy mornings. The forthcoming improvements to the entry gates might allow it to happen.

We were their 2 weeks ago at the GCH security entrance to Dowtown Disney, and watched a guy with a newly purchased suitcase from GCH (it had a store bag tied to the handle & he told security it was just purchased), go through security without anyone inspecting the inside of the suitcase, yet my little bag was turned inside out. When I questioned the security guard, I was told “if you don’t like it , don’t come” 😳. I made sure to report this serious security breach, as anything could have been inside that case. I wasn’t impressed that it was nonchalantly waved passed and our safety at risk.

We were their 2 weeks ago at the GCH security entrance to Dowtown Disney, and watched a guy with a newly purchased suitcase from GCH (it had a store bag tied to the handle & he told security it was just purchased), go through security without anyone inspecting the inside of the suitcase, yet my little bag was turned inside out. When I questioned the security guard, I was told “if you don’t like it , don’t come” 😳. I made sure to report this serious security breach, as anything could have been inside that case. I wasn’t impressed that it was nonchalantly waved passed and our safety at risk.
Was he an employee? Could the bag have been sealed, like maybe zip tied or something?

Normally, someone with luggage would need to exit out of the front of the hotel. The list of prohibited items includes the following, so maybe there was an approved reason to bring it into DTD.
  • Suitcases, backpacks or similar bags with wheels
  • Suitcases, backpacks or similar bags larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (61 cm x 38 cm x 46 cm)
We often eat at Hearthstone Lounge and bring leftovers home. Security always asks us to open our take out containers.

Went this weekend and didn't take too much longer. I actually like the white plastic containers/bowls you put personal items in. They did this just after pandemic too. Keeps personal pocket items from sliding off table or going into another groups 'pile' of things.

To me it looks like speed greatly depends on Cast Member and guest working together during check. I've seen some Cast slowly talk to guests and open each zipped area again very, very slow- others are quick and efficient yet still ensuring all areas looked in. Maybe done on purpose but doesn't seem like it.

Would really prefer Walt Disney World style scanners of course.

Last edited:
Ran over to Lost & Found this morning before heading home from our vacation and the line was pretty long and moved slowly. One change is the two stations now have a smaller “entrance” so you only end up with one line served by two guards. When I got to the front, I watched both guards and it was sort of dumb how differently they approached things. One was checking every single zipped container, taking things out. He asked a guy to open his reusable water bottle and then peeked inside for a while. The other guard did the typical quick look and felt the bag from the outside to feel for anything larger. This guard got through literally four people in the time it took the other guard to get through one with a similarly sized bag.

I just don’t get how there is such a discrepancy.

Ran over to Lost & Found this morning before heading home from our vacation and the line was pretty long and moved slowly. One change is the two stations now have a smaller “entrance” so you only end up with one line served by two guards. When I got to the front, I watched both guards and it was sort of dumb how differently they approached things. One was checking every single zipped container, taking things out. He asked a guy to open his reusable water bottle and then peeked inside for a while. The other guard did the typical quick look and felt the bag from the outside to feel for anything larger. This guard got through literally four people in the time it took the other guard to get through one with a similarly sized bag.

I just don’t get how there is such a discrepancy.
I’ve never been asked to open my bottle and I sure as heck won’t let them do it. Don’t need their dirty hands where my mouth will be. Why would they need to look in there any way? I bring all kinds of beverages in all the time it’s within policy to allow us to…

I’ve never been asked to open my bottle and I sure as heck won’t let them do it. Don’t need their dirty hands where my mouth will be. Why would they need to look in there any way? I bring all kinds of beverages in all the time it’s within policy to allow us to…
I’ve been asked before once or twice to open my reusable aluminum bottle or what’s in it. They are just checking for concealed alcohol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter