New to US/IoA and confused

JediBonas

DIS Veteran
We've been going to Disney pretty much yearly for the past eight years but, for several reasons, we are finally planning a trip to Universal in March! We have 7 nights booked at Royal Pacific with four day park hoppers (park to park?) through a travel agent. Do I need to create an account at Universal to link my reservations to? I didn't see anything like Disney has. Is there any planning I need to do? I have two kids that will be nine when we go, we're currently introducing them to the Harry Potter movies and my daughter especially is really enjoying them (she is so excited about getting a wand!). I'm so use to having to preplan and book restaurants and fast passes for Disney that I'm lost regarding if there's anything I need to do for Universal before we go. Thanks everyone, I've been wanting to go to Universal for YEARS and excited (but tempered since who knows what will happen the next few months).

ETA: I always get photopass at Disney, is it worth it to get the photo package at Universal?

Welcome to the Dark Side! j/k

The beauty of Universal is there is no planning. No linking. No ADRs. Just show up and have fun. The only thing I ever plan is which day not go to the parks and to head to Kennedy Space Center instead. Our kids ADORE KSC, and we try to go every trip. Then we drive back to CityWalk for dinner that night. I do sometimes make ADRs for the adults at a Disney restaurant (we did a girls trip last August and had tea at GF) since our kids have been old enough to get pizza at the condo and let us have a date.

That's it. That's my planning.

We are long time Disney-goers as well, and went to Universal in May of 2019 for about 3/4 of a day to meet a family member to see the Harry Potter stuff. It was ...fine, but we were happy to be headed to the Contemporary for a few days that afternoon! Then this pas Feb., 2020 I had a work conference at one of the Universal Hotels (Sapphire Falls I think it was) and my husband decided to tag along. Whoa - we had fun, ended up getting seasonal AP's cause they were the same cost as 2 day tickets and planned on maybe coming back. We are going in October, and as CyndiLooWho said the lack of a need to link, over plan or book ADR's is truly a freeing experience! And everything is walkable! it's all right there! So nice- anyway, we are booked at Royal Pacific for 4 nights and very much looking forward to it.

Enjoy your trip!

You have your hotel and tickets books and literally do not need to do anything else unless you want to (especially with express passes). Unless you're going at a peak time you don't even need to make restaurant reservations (and a bunch of them aren't even taking them right now). When we went in November I made our reservation for Hard Rock Cafe the night before and got one at 6:30 pm. It feels very strange to not have to do a bunch of planning at first but I now love that we can be so spontaneous with our planning. We also love that it is SO easy to get to the parks and Citywalk when you stay on property.

As for photos we are die-hard Photopass people at Disney but don't do photos at Universal. IMHO there just aren't that many opportunities for photos in the parks that aren't on rides and, from what I understand, you have to stop by a kiosk after the ride to add it to your photo package. Lots of people disagree with me, though. We didn't get it for our non-covid trip and didn't feel like it would be worth it while masks had to be worn, either.

Universal is an extended weekend park with no planning. I’d skip Volcano Bay though and do a Disney water park instead. I now only go to FL for Universal. I’m strictly at CA DIsney person. This might change if EPCOT ever gets upgraded.

Another tip. If you want to do some Disney stuff, you can book ADRs at the Disney resorts and eat dinner there. I did that for Hoop De Do the last time I went.

Formal planning, as in make reservations etc., no. But closer to the trip, you could learn about the attractions, shows, and characters so you know what you want to do and what to skip. Check back for current crowd levels too. Pre-covid the common suggestion for those with unlimited express staying onsite who are into Potter was to use early entry to explore Diagon while everyone gets in line for the ride. Nowadays, weekdays are so quiet all day this isn’t necessary. I do still recommend that the first things you do in HP world should be the wand experience at Ollivanders and buying the wand(s), that way ya’ll can cast spells and be surprised.

Also be aware that many express lines skip significant parts of queues. If there’s something one or more of you really like, you should do standby and express. Currently the differences are lessened as very few preshows are running. Things could change between now and March though. But the most important one is Forbidden Journey. Currently, express skips nearly the entire castle. So do standby, but you actually want a wait- since there’s no passing people right now because of distancing requirements, if you do Forbidden Journey when there’s a 20mn ish or less wait, you’ll be quickly walking past everything and won’t be able to enjoy it since you now have to keep moving through the line. Before you could step to the side in each room til you were done and let people pass you. Aim for a 30-40mn wait.

Volcano Bay is my happy place, so I'd never skip it. That said, take a look at the rides and see what appeals to you vs a Disney water park. The lawn chair in front of the volcano wave pool is where I go mentally when I need to unwind.

Would you guys say that a spur of the moment/decide day of or day before decision to go to Volcano Bay is doable, or is it something that requires some forethought and pre purchase of tickets?

in March? that's spring break season but with C-19 things may be out of whack. I'm curious what others think.

We went in June of 19 (so a normal summer day) and because we were staying on property with all three park passes, we took advantage of early park hours and hit VB one morning. We managed to get a chair with an umbrella and hang out while the park filled up. Based on that I'd say you're fine waiting as long as if you do decide to go be prepared to go a little earlier in the day.

Thanks- we are actually going mid October during the week, so I’m hoping it’s not a issue if we decide to go last minute 1

oh you'll be fine in mid October. as in this year or next? if it's this year I'd just check to be sure they're open. I must have mis read your OP.

It might be cheaper to check out annual passes vs. the tickets you currently have.

Allow you access every day to the parks and adding the 3rd park right now isn't too much more.

Volcano Bay is a definite top tier water park, easily comparable to the Disney parks. Staying on site you get early access as well.

Enjoy your trip!

Would you guys say that a spur of the moment/decide day of or day before decision to go to Volcano Bay is doable, or is it something that requires some forethought and pre purchase of tickets?

Yes, it is very doable and easy, just keep track of closing times but the bus to Volcano Bay is rite there with the parking for UO, its all tied together and real easy.

Here's another vote for Volcano Bay. I was there last Friday. It's the best water park I've seen. I wrote in another thread that Disney has well-themed water parks. VB is a theme park that has exclusively water slides / rides. I suggest deciding the day before so you can get there when it opens. This allows you to get a locker and stake out a couple of chairs (assuming you don't pre-pay for premium seating). Most importantly, it allows you to walk on the acquacoaster a few times before it transitions to a virtual line (don't miss this ride - it's great).

JW

Do I need to create an account at Universal to link my reservations to?
No. There's no magic band equivalent at UO. Your hotel room key card will also serve as your express pass (essentially proof of your resort stay), and you can also use your hotel room key card to charge things back to your room if you attach a credit card to your room for room charging privileges. If your TA has not set that up, you can do it when you check in by giving your card for room charging. With a package, I believe your tickets will still be separate from your room key. This is why many recommend using a lanyard at Universal - keep your park ticket on one side and your room key on the other, so everything is handy on your person and doesn't get misplaced.

Is there any planning I need to do?
As PPs have mentioned, no! Definitely not with a week to work with in addition to the unlimited EPs. Currently, Hagrid's is the only main ride that does not offer EP. Unless they open EP before you travel, that is the only ride I would strategize for to make sure you ride with a minimal wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter