New-Updated Rumors

nuts

Lover of Disney, Family Guy, and all around good p
Well, as many of you know, I have a contact within Disney who has been somewhat reliable with her info. Interesting stuff coming in...however, I would put these definately under the rumor list (not confirmed, not nothing but talk).

Over a year ago I posted a conversation she and I had about DVC learning from its mistakes with HH and VB (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=701603&referrerid=&highlight=). Basically they learned that they need more than the resort itself to attract buyers. The discussions at that time were about looking at building DVC around a DTD venue at other locations (Colorado, Hawaii, etc). You all saw the announcement from Disney that indeed this is the direction they are looking to go. It's moved from the discussion phase to the "let's make it happen" mode. Again, this would be a partnership between DVC, Resorts, and Entertainment. ESPN would more than likely join forces (along with a bunch of 3rd party companies like the one that owns Rainforest).

Next DVC will be Grand Californian. Also look for potential future growth at the land location Disney purchased a few years ago near Disneyland. Possible 3rd gate.

CRV - She is still vague on this one. Seems this may be the first true Resorts/DVC partnership. AKL is a mini-version of this. I think they are feeling out where the demand lies and how to make this partnership work. No definate timeframe. I even heard (from another source) that the build won't begin for a couple years (if at all).

Well, your mileage may vary, but that is my latest update.

Looking forward to seeing how all this plays out.

thanks for taking the time to post what you heard :)

Thank you for the update!!

Looking forward to DVC expanding its resort offerings! It will be interesting to see how they can intergrate the cost per point that we are paying now for an on-site DVC resort, compared to a DVC resort at a DTD type location.

Be interesting to see what is next for DVC. Something in California at DL seems to make sense to me.

Next DVC will be Grand Californian. Also look for potential future growth at the land location Disney purchased a few years ago near Disneyland. Possible 3rd gate.
Yes! I am so happy she said that... it made my day a little brighter. A big thank you to her and you for the updates! :teeth:

Did she have any idea of the timeline for the GC DVC? I know it's still at the rumor stage, but is the feeling 1 year or several years...

As long as they pick popular vacation destination spots it just might work. That stupid rumor about building a themepark/hotel/DVC in Frisco, TX is starting to come up again. I don't live in Frisco, but I'm only 10 minutes away and let me tell you that there's NOT MUCH TO DO THERE!!! You can go to the mall...you can go to IKEA...you can catch minor league baseball and hocky games in season...you can drive to Dallas about 20-30 minutes away (depends on traffic)...that's it.

If these are going to build in places like Frisco, I don't see it doing very well.

popcorn::

As long as they pick popular vacation destination spots it just might work. That stupid rumor about building a themepark/hotel/DVC in Frisco, TX is starting to come up again. I don't live in Frisco, but I'm only 10 minutes away and let me tell you that there's NOT MUCH TO DO THERE!!! You can go to the mall...you can go to IKEA...you can catch minor league baseball and hocky games in season...you can drive to Dallas about 20-30 minutes away (depends on traffic)...that's it.

If these are going to build in places like Frisco, I don't see it doing very well.

popcorn::

To me this would be the "Disney arrogance" If we build it they will come... Uh not always. HH and VB proved that.

The discussions at that time were about looking at building DVC around a DTD venue at other locations (Colorado, Hawaii, etc). You all saw the announcement from Disney that indeed this is the direction they are looking to go.

This is interesting because the city of Anaheim is building something like this across the street from Disneyland. It's called Anaheim Garden Walk. It will be a Downtown Disney type venue with Timeshares, and couple of Hotels build on the upper floors. You can google Anaheim Garden walk and see all the details.

I can't imagine anyone thinking there is nothing at HHI, to attract visitors. Do you mean at the actual resort or the island?

The island is the number one repeat vacation destination for families in the nation. Over 60% are repeat visitors. Must be something there to attract people back year after year.

CRV - She is still vague on this one. Seems this may be the first true Resorts/DVC partnership. AKL is a mini-version of this. I think they are feeling out where the demand lies and how to make this partnership work. No definate timeframe. I even heard (from another source) that the build won't begin for a couple years (if at all).

Could you expand on this any? How is this different from BoardWalk (Villas/Inn); Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge?

Just curious.

Randall

:rainbow:

Could you expand on this any? How is this different from BoardWalk (Villas/Inn); Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge?

Just curious.

Randall

:rainbow:

The difference is that AKL, BC and WL were already there and DVC came in and added on a seperate DVC wing. AKL, is the first existing resort to allow DVC to take over a portion of the exisiting facility.

If rumors are correct DVC and Resort operations will jointly design, build and operate the new addition at the Contemporary. But who knows it could all change over night.

CRV - She is still vague on this one. Seems this may be the first true Resorts/DVC partnership.

The Boardwalk was the first true Resorts/DVC partnership. Disney built the Boardwalk Inn and Boardwalk Villas at the same time. That was over 10 years ago. They share the same front desk and check-in desk.

Dumbo

To me this would be the "Disney arrogance" If we build it they will come... Uh not always. HH and VB proved that.
To a degree. To me they proved that Disney wasn't equipped or willing to sell timeshares they way you have to in most cases. They were simply not active or aggressive enough to do so adequately. They simply weren't willing to do what it take to compete.

I can't imagine anyone thinking there is nothing at HHI, to attract visitors. Do you mean at the actual resort or the island?

The island is the number one repeat vacation destination for families in the nation. Over 60% are repeat visitors. Must be something there to attract people back year after year.
True but you're competing with companies that are far better at selling than Disney is including Spinnaker and Marriott, for cheaper prices and yearly fees, better exchange options and in many cases in locations on the island more desirable to those repeat guests. Plus DVC's sales expectations were too optimistic.

To a degree. To me they proved that Disney wasn't equipped or willing to sell timeshares they way you have to in most cases. They were simply not active or aggressive enough to do so adequately. They simply weren't willing to do what it take to compete.

True but you're competing with companies that are far better at selling than Disney is including Spinnaker and Marriott, for cheaper prices and yearly fees, better exchange options and in many cases in locations on the island more desirable to those repeat guests. Plus DVC's sales expectations were too optimistic.

Dean wouldn't that also be the case in Hawaii, the Caribbean, and Colorado.

To me they proved that Disney wasn't equipped or willing to sell timeshares they way you have to in most cases. They were simply not active or aggressive enough to do so adequately. They simply weren't willing to do what it take to compete.
you're competing with companies that are far better at selling than Disney is including Spinnaker and Marriott, for cheaper prices and yearly fees, better exchange options

You make a good point, Dean,......for the life of me I couldn't figure out why Disney had a hard time selling HH. It makes sense the way you put it. I guess the question is....did Disney learn from this and will pursue other resort areas and market differently.....OR will they just stay with on site Disney properties????

Haven't been to HH but we fell in love with VB and have always wondered why sales there were sluggish as has been repeatedly reported here. The whole resort is just lovely and the CM's there are wonderful.

The only thing I could conclude was that the MF's and the potential for a scary special assessment due to hurricane damage must have been a factor.

I look forward to DVC spreading out to other areas, it's alway fun to see new places and still have a little Disney magic. We loved VB too.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the next DVC is at the GC at DL.

If AKV and BWV are mini versions of what Contemporary might be, I can't wait to see it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter