New Walker's Sharing Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for all of the experience walker's on this thread. Even though we have 6 months until the races in January, I am curious about pre-race training. What do you do the week before, day before, etc..? With all of the biking, walking and lifting that I have been doing, I want to allow myself proper amount of time to heal so I can be at my strongest and best, if I am to do the 1/2.

Also, what would I need to do if I wanted to work or help during the full since I will not be participating in that particular race?

Thanks everyone!
Bryan

I have a question for all of the experience walker's on this thread. Even though we have 6 months until the races in January, I am curious about pre-race training. What do you do the week before, day before, etc..? With all of the biking, walking and lifting that I have been doing, I want to allow myself proper amount of time to heal so I can be at my strongest and best, if I am to do the 1/2.

Also, what would I need to do if I wanted to work or help during the full since I will not be participating in that particular race?

Thanks everyone!
Bryan

We do our last long walk the second week of Dec. We go to Gatlinburg Tenn and do a 20 miler on Monday and then a 10 miler on Tues. Then up to till marathon week we only do 10 miles for our LSD, we still do our shorter walks and other training but keep the LSD day to 10 miles.

We are in half marathon shape all the time and so that distance doesn't requie any prep. Erica is just coming of her surgery but will be up to ten milers in a few weeks.

The week before the races, marathon this year Goofy last year, we just do our walking in the parks, that's plenty. We eat healthy during the week and drink a few beers in the evenings. The evening before the race we go to ben early since we will be getting up at 3 am.

There will be plenty of talk as it gets closer about volunteering for the races you are not doing.

Walking Panda:hippie:

Bubba: The Sunday before I do a 6 mile as my long distance walk, then I do a 4 mile on Tuesday and a 4 miles on Thursday. I usually take the day off before the race event (Half is on Saturday) and try not to do too much walking, stairs, I leasurely walk the parks. Althought this year I am doing the 5k the day before, but I plan on doing that just for "fun" and not beating myself up. After the 5K will probably just relax a bit in the room and then go out for leasure park walking and eat a good dinner and back to the hotel to relax the night before. I try to go to bed early, but ususally don't sleep well and with having to get up very early (3:30 am or so), sleep doesn't happen very well. The saying is that it is not that nights sleep that is important it is the night before that is important.
With your cross training stuff I would say it's ok to keep doing it, you just may want to taper a bit and then just relax the day before. As you do your training and start doing the longer walks you will see probably what works best for you. I always take the day off after a long walk (8miles or more for me) to recover. I start my Half training 16weeks before the event.

hope that helps, Tracy

I did another 5K event in Weston FL. (That is the city in which I work) Race start was 7am, but didn't start until 7:10. It used the new Chrono tag system - see race report soon to come. I again found the lady (around 83 years old) who racewalks. I passed her this time at around 1.80 miles. I was keeping a good pace throughout the race. My first mile could have been faster but had talked my friend into doing it with me and she wogs. She had been having shin issues last week. So at one point she would jog with me and then walk and I would keep going and then she would catchup with me and then walk. Around mile 1.6 she dropped back and I didn't see her again until the finish. She did well, but her shins were not too happy. I really got going when I left the other racewalker at the water stop just after mile2. She stopped to get water and I kept going!! This race started with gun time and I was a bit back in the group. I started my Garmin at the start line.
Mile 1 split - 13:11
Mile 2 split - 13:41 (water stop after Mile 1 was very congested!)
Mile 3 split - 12:48
Garmin stopped at 3.14 miles, Time was 41.30.61, pace 13.14.
Official time said 41:24 for the 5K.

Have a great day on this July4th all you missing, lurking and quiet walkers.

Yesterday was a fun day for me as I had a very short day at work and then I did my workout. I did go to the gym and was able to workout my chest pretty strong. (I have had several shoulder issues in the past and I have been trying to get my bench press back up to where it was. Yesterday was the first time since then that I was able to do 245 lbs again. :woohoo: Progress!)

Then, I headed out to the track. I had already decided that I was going to walk before I would ride to see what the difference would be in my stamina and I would see how stupid I really am since I was doing this in the heat of the day.

I started very casual and did my warm-up mile in 16 minutes. Not record breaking but considering the distance that I wanted to go for, I knew it was going to make for a LSD. 2nd mile was a bit better and I was able to do that in 13:20. That maybe a PR for me. I can't remember for sure. After that, I was trying to just keep a nice steady pace of 4-4.5 miles an hour. Nothing flashy or fast, just consistant. Yesterday, I felt like the Energizer Bunny as I just kept going and going and going. To keep this story from getting too long, I was finally able to do 10 miles. I think I was introduced to that "WALL" everyone talks about. Right between miles 8 and 9, I started getting very tired, thirsty (I was drinking plenty of water during the walk, I promise.) and just seemed like things started to hurt a little. So what I did was to slow down my pace some but forge ahead so I could do it. WHEW! What a relief to know that I can do it. Now, I want to see if I can do the 1/2 distance without wanting to fall out and die.:rotfl2: :confused3

Hope everyone has a great 4th!
Thanks!
Tired Bubba

I have been busy but Linda and I did a unexpected 2.65 mile walk today in 1:10. 1st .6 miles without any brace! Already did my long walk of 2.5 miles on Fri. Both longest since surgery. Slowly but it is coming along. Ice baths after every walk/gym workouts are a blessing. DL 1/2 is only 8 weeks away:scared1: Lots to get ready for!

Dave: Here is a great article on ESPN.com about racewalking http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/track...le_jim&id=3474900&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

Have a good one everyone :)

Robert: Sounds like things are moving along nicely. I'm sure you are chomping at the bit to get out there and do more, but take it easy.
WOW yea, DL 1/2 is on its way. I can't wait. I have made my decision today (after pooping out towards the end of a 9mile dripping walk) that my goal for DL is to just finish and get my "extra" medal. I think training for a half marathon in South Florida in June/July/August is just INSANE!!!:scared: I need to remember this in the future and just stick to doing some 5ks locally.

I liked the article about racewalkers and pretty much true to life!!!

I have decided not to enter the 1500/3000m racewalk. It is on a Sunday which is my long walk day and just can't concentrate on a short fast distance, while trying to stay alive doing long training distances for the DL Half Marathon. Next year after the WDW Half and the ING Half I will concentrate more on doing shorter faster distances and then doing more judged racewalks with the South Florida Racewalkers. At least that is what I am thinking right now.

Hi Racey Tracy, it is tough to do both. I do and the experience is entirely different. The distance is a long but comfortable glide, but the 3K and 5K are uncomfortablely pushing your limits till it's done.

Robert thanks for the link, I'm all over gaining respect for racewalking. I've earned it here in my town but it was a hard battle. Someday.

Walking Panda:hippie:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter