New Year's Eve/Day strategy?

Nut_Meg

Earning My Ears
Yes, we are certifiably insane and will be at the parks this weekend. Actually, my sister and brother-in-law surprised the family with a trip for Christmas. This will be our second trip this year, which is a rare treat (we're from WA.) Any tips/tricks for maneuvering the madness? I'm thinking we'll try to do some rides in the morning but will take it easy in the afternoon/evening. Can anyone recommend some "quiet" things to do during this time? Also, any advice for parades/fireworks? Any and all input is much appreciated! Thank you! :earsboy:

EDIT: Fyi, we have 3-day park hoppers (Sat, Sun, Mon) and Magic Morning to DL on Sat. I know we probably shouldn't hop on Sat in case it hits capacity, so we'll just stick to DL, but are hoping to get to DCA first thing either Sun or Mon to ride ToT one last time. We'd love to do Late Check Out as well. Are they doing FP's for that?

Last edited:
I have done NYE the past four years...here are my tips:

Determine which park you wanna be at for the Countdown. Both DL and DCA do a great show. Check out youtube and you can see past year's shows. We have done DCA the past few years and had an absolute blast.

DL will reach capacity typically somewhere between 2-4pm and the gates will close for a while....so if you wanna be in DL park, hit DCA in the AM then I would plan on being in DL by 12-1pm and not leaving.

DCA has yet to ever hit capacity and access has not been restricted. Once night time hits, DCA is usually no busier than a typical buys weekend which is why we love it over there. DL on the other hand is an absolute zoo as that is where everyone thinks they wanna be. This year may change with NYE being on a Saturday.

If you can, book dining reservations. even counter service is insane.

Pack your patience, and maximize faspasees. The vibe is great but of you are expecting a typical DL lot of rides day you will be frustrated.

Have fun!

I would highly recommend DCA for New Year's Eve. We did it the last two years and loved it. Last year we were in DCA from 8 AM until past midnight. The year before we started our day at DL and then crossed over to DCA around 10:30 AM and stayed until about 1 AM. The DCA fireworks show is different but good and also has less chance of getting canceled. We watched the show last year, but our friends hanging out in DL were disappointed that the midnight fireworks show there got canceled.

We were at DCA for NYE two years ago and had a blast. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Our trip was a last minute surprise, I found out the night before. We couldn't even rope drop because we flew down the morning of the 31st.

This year we'll do NYE in DTD and then hit up the parks on Jan 1 & 2. I was able to make dinning reservations, WOC dessert party and PTN reservations.

Anyone know...if they close DL for capacity reasons and you have a PTN reservation for 6:45...will they let you in? I had wanted to spend that day at DCA, but do dinner and PTN at DL that night.

Anyone know...if they close DL for capacity reasons and you have a PTN reservation for 6:45...will they let you in? I had wanted to spend that day at DCA, but do dinner and PTN at DL that night.

Depends, if it is a hard close ordered by the Fire Marshall, no, they won't/can't let you in, but if it is one of the lower levels, they might.

I was there this year. Very chill, get there early. Folks usually arent awoke from NYE partying until later. Got a good 5 mins chillin with Mickey Mouse.

We were at DCA for NYE two years ago and had a blast. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Our trip was a last minute surprise, I found out the night before. We couldn't even rope drop because we flew down the morning of the 31st.

This year we'll do NYE in DTD and then hit up the parks on Jan 1 & 2. I was able to make dinning reservations, WOC dessert party and PTN reservations.

Hi,
I'm curious to know how your visit went. I am considering a DVC trip for New Year's Eve 2017/2018. It is clearly super expensive and crowded. Would you recommend it? Did you have any trouble getting in for your reservation? Thanks for any advice you can offer,
Kecia (Portland, Oregon)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter