New York City

dolphinlover

I.U. FAN
GOING TO NY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN OCTOBER ANYONE NO OF A NICE PLACE TO STAY THATS NOT TO EXPENSIVE. I WOULD LIKE TO BE LOCATED IN THE THICK OF THINGS but don't wanna pay a mint to be there. any help would be appreciated.

LOL! They're thinking of raising the subway fare, ya know...

There's a Days Inn (I think) on 8th avenue and 48th street, not too sure of the price but it's worth a try.

I went to New York at the end of June I used Hotels.com. We stayed at a place called the Mayfair it is about 3 blocks from Time Square and with in walking distance to all the morning shows. The hotel was right next to the theater where the Full Monty is preformed. We liked it the room was a bit small but we were only there to sleep. I suggest the tour line too we rode the busses all around and saw everything.:jester: :smooth: :rolleyes: :Pinkbounc

I just got back from NYC. We had a great time, everyone should go. NYC seems to not have recovered from 9/11 we did not see many tourists. We found everybody to be very friendly and helpful. I used priceline for my hotel. If you want to do this please go to www.biddingfortravel.com and check out the forum. I got the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central Terminal for $85. I thought that this was a great hotel. Great location, big rooms. We went to GCT and they had a food court and we ate there. It was nice and inexpensive. Hotel prices are going to be a little more expensive in the fall than the summer.

I really recommend priceline. You have to spend time researching to get a good price but the price is so great. I spent about an hour or two reseaching and saved myself $95 a night. That is worth my time.

Sharbear

I've stayed at the Avalon Hotel and Hyatt Place in Midtown for around $180/ night. Both were fine with wonderful locations. Hyatt had a great free breakfast.

We are going in August and again in September. Our September trip seems like a much more expensive time--couldn't find anything reasonable, so we booked a boutique hotel in Hells Kitchen. Our Aug trip is affordable (for nyc), but we are staying in Brooklyn.

(We have made all our trips in the fall except this upcoming August trip. I guess that is the busy time for nyc)

Does it have to be October? October will most likely be expensive. My friend and I paid $300/night for a courtyard Marriott that dh and i paid $120/night in December (Christmas week). October just stayed high, we looked and many and varied hotels for months and kept an eye on rates in case we found better. We were very surprised at how cheap December was when we went. Might have been because we decided just a few days before? But dh stays in midtown often and he was really surprised by October rates.

I just got back from NYC. We had a great time, everyone should go. NYC seems to not have recovered from 9/11 we did not see many tourists. We found everybody to be very friendly and helpful. I used priceline for my hotel. If you want to do this please go to www.biddingfortravel.com and check out the forum. I got the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central Terminal for $85. I thought that this was a great hotel. Great location, big rooms. We went to GCT and they had a food court and we ate there. It was nice and inexpensive. Hotel prices are going to be a little more expensive in the fall than the summer.

I really recommend priceline. You have to spend time researching to get a good price but the price is so great. I spent about an hour or two reseaching and saved myself $95 a night. That is worth my time.

Sharbear

You didn't see many tourists - REALLY!!!! I'm very surprised. I live an hour from NYC and go in at least 2x a month and every time I see tons of tourists even on the East Side residential area that a good friend of mine lives in (East 60th).

Check out Radio City Apartments Hotel - whenever my DD had a dance workshop that's where we stayed - we could have taken the train in but the hours of the workshops were always crazy so we stayed (we live an hour west of NYC). It was reasonably priced.

Also check out some hotels in Lower Manhattan they usually have better rates.

Enjoy your trip, it's beautiful that time of the year!

You didn't see many tourists - REALLY!!!! I'm very surprised. I live an hour from NYC and go in at least 2x a month and every time I see tons of tourists even on the East Side residential area that a good friend of mine lives in (East 60th).
That post was almost 14 yrs ago

Does it have to be October? October will most likely be expensive. My friend and I paid $300/night for a courtyard Marriott that dh and i paid $120/night in December (Christmas week). October just stayed high, we looked and many and varied hotels for months and kept an eye on rates in case we found better. We were very surprised at how cheap December was when we went. Might have been because we decided just a few days before? But dh stays in midtown often and he was really surprised by October rates.

14 years ago, and pretty recently after 9/11, it probably wasn't as expensive.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I was all set to say I think NYC has fully recovered from 9/11 and then I see this post is almost a decade and a half old.

This is beyond zombie. This is ancient scrolls for internet threads. ;)

I thought the same thing...my daughter lives in NYC and I love to see her, but dread visiting her because of the gazillions of tourists! I've never seen it not packed.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I was all set to say I think NYC has fully recovered from 9/11 and then I see this post is almost a decade and a half old.

This is beyond zombie. This is ancient scrolls for internet threads. ;)

You know this thread is old but easily resurrected when they all run along the bottom of the pages!!
I catch myself a lot about to click!

You know this thread is old but easily resurrected when they all run along the bottom of the pages!!
I catch myself a lot about to click!

I did as well before I got adblocker.

Usually I can spot a resurrected thread when it is a title I haven't seen but has 10 pages. This only had a few replies so I read it without realizing. When I saw that 9/11 reference I did the side tilt what, then saw the 2002 date. It gave me a good chuckle :laughing:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter