Newbie Trip - 2 parks - 1 day, where to start?

ashleymrush

DIS Veteran
Hey! I will be going with my family to Universal next Wednesday (4/7) for their first time and my first time in six years. I've been looking around but can't seem to find an answer to this question. Which park is the best to go to first? The parks are both open from 8am to 10pm. We are early risers and plan to rope drop and then stay as long as we can, though we likely won't make it to close. Our boys are 11 and 8 and love most thrill rides and Harry Potter. We are interested in most everything except for water rides and the shows. We will not have any express passes or early entry. We are familiar with virtual lines and will utilize them for sure. If anyone has any touring tips on where to start, which rides to start with, etc. I would love some advice. I'm a Disney vet and can manage my days there with my eyes closed but this will be a whole new adventure for us. Thank you so much!

It doesn't matter that much - depends on your priorities. WIthout EE - you will wait a little longer for any of the HP rides that open at EE times, but it will be least crowded in Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley first thing. Once you hit around 11, both will be packed for the rest of the afternoon in both places, which are pretty tight quarters. Many other things don't open until official opening or even later. RRR is typically 9:15 ish, Simpsons 9:30 or 10:00, and so on. Some rides that are slow loaders like Kong will really build in times as the morning goes on. Hagrid is standby for park open, but goes to VQ quickly, so unless you are there early and in line for rope drop, plan on VQ at 11:00 or later. Some things like Mummy are usually quicker lines earlier. Hogwart's Express line will build throughout the day, so if you plan on doing that be aware (and the trip is different each way). Later in the day, the parks clear out so you can ride things easier then, though if it is a capacity closure, it might not be until after dinner. Have fun!

I can only speak from 2019 experience, but even getting to the park early and heading straight for potter meant that those were lines out the door. The rides in both parks are on my to do list when we return in June.

I'd take a look at what rides are in each park, and have your family list out which are of most interest to ride for them. Then build your itinerary from there. For example if everyone wants to do rip ride rocket, then minions is very close by. Both rides are popular and their wait times will fill up quickly. it'll also tell you if you need to split up - our youngest would re-ride Spiderman all day but our oldest does it once and says I'm done. both kids loved hulk. so they ride Spiderman together, then I go with him on it again while DH takes our daughter to do something else. We reconnect at hulk and DH and I stand there and complain about how we got old and neither of us is willing to ride the thing while the kids scream their heads off.

With only one day to get it all in, I'd take a look at the rides and see what your priorities are so you can set up a general plan. You can have your A list rides that you can try to do first, then your B list later, and then C list for if you have time (and then the list of rides you don't care to try). The train between Harry Potter worlds is a must for us, as are the HP rides - those would be my A list. Roller coasters and Dr. Doom would be up there. There are a lot of rides where you sit in front of a movie screen, which I'm not that into. I'm with you as far as the water rides (no thanks!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter