News and Developments for Future In-Person runDisney Events

Well. Today has been underwhelming, to say the least
I don't want to read too much into this. I have documented my reasons for optimism. I am still more optimistic than pessimistic for WDW MW 2022 happening. That said, as days/weeks pass, the lack of clarity and visible manifestations of things happening really start to make an early 2022 resumption of in-person races impracticable.

Haven’t the other six of the big seven marathons already announced that they are returning in-person? Asking for a friend.
I think the big hurdle Disney has vs the other races is park optics as between people who were rescheduling trips delayed due to the pandemic and/or were wanting to visit for the 50th rooms and park entry will already have a deep demand without the need for the race crowd....

My son was involved in a launch recently that got delayed two weeks because the company was doing their annual developer conference, and nothing that wasn't part of the conference was allowed to launch within a week of the conference. All part of managing the press cycle.

I suspect Disney has a lot more people involved in that sort of timing.

In this same vein, I think Disney very much wants to make a huge announcement that everything will be back on October 1 for the 50th Anniversary. Full capacity, fireworks, parades, shows, character meets (or whatever their vision is for the parks post-pandemic)-everything. They may have given departments the ability to start planning based on expectations, but I really can’t imagine an announcement coming from rD before a much bigger one comes for WDW as a whole.

Nothing close to inside info on this. It’s entirely possible that they will continue to slowly and quietly roll back restrictions, open resorts/restaurants, increase capacity, and bring back everything that’s been missing. I think they really want the grandiose announcement about coming back with a bang rather than with a whimper though.

All the external hurdles and barriers are gone. FL has no restrictions, the mask ordinance and distancing requirements are all but gone. Chapek's basically said they want to be functionally 100% operational by Oct. 1. Fireworks are imminent. Live entertainment is coming back online. They *could* do it. Why they haven't, yet, remains to be seen.

All the external hurdles and barriers are gone. FL has no restrictions, the mask ordinance and distancing requirements are all but gone. Chapek's basically said they want to be functionally 100% operational by Oct. 1. Fireworks are imminent. Live entertainment is coming back online. They *could* do it. Why they haven't, yet, remains to be seen.

I'd guess they want all of the shine on the Grand Opening of Avengers Campus this week. Thinking about that makes me hopeful that they might have some type of announcement for WDW next week.

Outside of that, I think they are very reticent of jumping the gun on anything. I tend to think they hold themselves to a slightly higher standard than "is this legal in Florida?" for most of their decisions (and not just about the pandemic). I think they've been ready for some big announcements for a while and are trying to wait things out until they are sure they won't have to walk them back.

In this same vein, I think Disney very much wants to make a huge announcement that everything will be back on October 1 for the 50th Anniversary. Full capacity, fireworks, parades, shows, character meets (or whatever their vision is for the parks post-pandemic)-everything. They may have given departments the ability to start planning based on expectations, but I really can’t imagine an announcement coming from rD before a much bigger one comes for WDW as a whole.

I understand Disney's desire from a PR perspective to build hype for the 50th, not dilute the focus from the Avengers Campus hype, etc., but at some point they have to say something about these (presumed) upcoming rD events. People have to plan and train! The 2021 W&D races were never in my plans, but I know other people made DVC and hotel reservations with the hopes of running that race in person. It's five months from when that race weekend would presumably take place - an announcement either way would be the decent thing to do at the very least, I think.

I understand Disney's desire from a PR perspective to build hype for the 50th, not dilute the focus from the Avengers Campus hype, etc., but at some point they have to say something about these (presumed) upcoming rD events. People have to plan and train! The 2021 W&D races were never in my plans, but I know other people made DVC and hotel reservations with the hopes of running that race in person. It's five months from when that race weekend would presumably take place - an announcement either way would be the decent thing to do at the very least, I think.

I completely agree that an announcement either way would be the right thing to do. What makes me really nervous is this is starting to feel like what happened with the West Coast races. Months and months of radio silence and speculation before them announcing the cancellations of the races. I’m not trying to be negative or worry anyone but this definitely reminds me of the silence around those races. I just can’t understand from a PR strategy why they aren’t saying *anything* (even if just to say they are working on the scheduling, etc), especially regarding Wine and Dine. I really am hoping for an update soon! I have rooms booked for W&D and Marathon weekends.

Absolutely an announcement would be the best thing for all of us potential participants. Even if it’s just a generic statement that they don’t have anything to announce and don’t know when they will.

Unfortunately, the lack of announcements really makes me feel that rD is even lower priority than I previously imagined. It definitely gives me the feeling that the corporation as a whole couldn’t care less if these events even return. That definitely scares me, both in the short term for the next prospective events and rD as a whole.

Speaking now as a marketing & communications person, not with any inside knowledge of WDW/rD/Disney itself...

If there's anything I've learned this past year+ about business communications, it's to say nothing until I'm 100% sure what I'm saying is accurate, timely, and pretty well written in stone. All T's crossed, i's dotted, all parties on board and in the know, nothing unclear. I simply do not think WDW as a whole is there yet.

It seems clear to me that WDW wasn't expecting to go "back to normal" yet and they're unprepared to do so. Forget FL's lack of restrictions, or what Orange County is doing, or even what is or is not safe - WDW is not staffed for normal conditions. Closed resorts, restaurants, shows, etc. can't open without staff. Backstage operations that have been working with skeleton crews can't go to full operation overnight without adequate staff. WDW is trying to hire like crazy, and the CP will help, but it takes time to onboard a ton of employees, and our workforce here in FL has lost a LOT of workers who aren't in any hurry to go back to low-wage jobs, for many reasons. Look at Universal to see what happens when you hit the "normal" button without being prepared for normal. The crowding and endless lines over there this week due to being understaffed for the volume of visitors is not something WDW wants to happen.

I don't think it's that WDW doesn't care about rD, but that rD is - rightfully, IMO - not the priority right now. The main focus has to be on resuming normal-ish operations in the parks and resorts. So it's entirely likely that there is a plan for rD to resume races (and what I've been told points to this being the case), but until WDW as a whole is ready to handle normal operations, we're not going to hear about it. I really would not read anything more into it than that.

Speaking now as a marketing & communications person, not with any inside knowledge of WDW/rD/Disney itself...

If there's anything I've learned this past year+ about business communications, it's to say nothing until I'm 100% sure what I'm saying is accurate, timely, and pretty well written in stone. All T's crossed, i's dotted, all parties on board and in the know, nothing unclear. I simply do not think WDW as a whole is there yet.

It seems clear to me that WDW wasn't expecting to go "back to normal" yet and they're unprepared to do so. Forget FL's lack of restrictions, or what Orange County is doing, or even what is or is not safe - WDW is not staffed for normal conditions. Closed resorts, restaurants, shows, etc. can't open without staff. Backstage operations that have been working with skeleton crews can't go to full operation overnight without adequate staff. WDW is trying to hire like crazy, and the CP will help, but it takes time to onboard a ton of employees, and our workforce here in FL has lost a LOT of workers who aren't in any hurry to go back to low-wage jobs, for many reasons. Look at Universal to see what happens when you hit the "normal" button without being prepared for normal. The crowding and endless lines over there this week due to being understaffed for the volume of visitors is not something WDW wants to happen.

I don't think it's that WDW doesn't care about rD, but that rD is - rightfully, IMO - not the priority right now. The main focus has to be on resuming normal-ish operations in the parks and resorts. So it's entirely likely that there is a plan for rD to resume races (and what I've been told points to this being the case), but until WDW as a whole is ready to handle normal operations, we're not going to hear about it. I really would not read anything more into it than that.

Great explanation. I’d just like to add that none of that means they aren’t working behind the scenes to put the infrastructure into place to hold a race. I prefer to think of it like the old duck analogy. Calm and quiet on the surface, but working like crazy underneath where it isn’t being seen.

You’ve said what the totality of what I’ve been trying to get at in all of my meandering posts. I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes planning for when they can get back to 100%; there is just a lot to be done, they aren’t there yet, and they don’t want to promise anything they can’t deliver.

My pessimism over rD and it’s place in the hierarchy is a long-standing worry that’s been exacerbated by the overall lack of information and uncertainty.

Calm and quiet on the surface, but working like crazy underneath where it isn’t being seen.
Yep, absolutely. Part of me would really like to be in the room/s where these convos are happening... but most of me thinks it's better not to be part of that stressful mess!

My pessimism over rD and it’s place in the hierarchy is a long-standing worry that’s been exacerbated by the overall lack of information and uncertainty.
I totally get this - and I'm usually one of the most pessimistic, Disney non-apologists there are. This is the most optimistic I've felt about a rD return in a long while... and I still won't entirely believe it until I see it lol!

I think all of that makes sense, and tracks with my suspicions. I'm still pretty hopeful for Marathon Weekend.

That being said, there's a lot of value to the running community to at least having a "non-update update". It doesn't have to be an official announcement. It could be as small as a social media post letting the runners know Disney is thinking of them, or that Disney misses the runners (something that could have played well with the global running day). It's such a big miss to not engage with their audience in that way. It doesn't commit Disney to any details, doesn't conflict with any big announcements, and keeps frustration/anger at bay. At some point, the silence starts to reflect on the runDisney brand, even if the brand is resilient enough that this is a minor scratch. Every other major race has at least said something.

In fact, as I canvas all of the large marathons in the US (finishers > 10k) it now looks like the WDW Marathon is the sole holdout. Chicago, NYC, Marine Corps (DC), Los Angleles, Honolulu, San Diego all announced in person happening in 2021; Boston’s likewise a go for April 2022.
I think @EPCOT-O.G.'s original post above is an important one to consider.

Don't get me wrong, I have been reading all the posts in this thread as well as the prior (now closed) thread, and I have an appreciation for and belief that all the points of view discussed here are considerations that Disney is pondering:
  • No lack of WDW demand due to: pandemic ebbing, 50th anniversary, expected return of all events/shows/fireworks/meets, etc.
  • Potential lack of international travelers
  • Current leadership's likely view on maximizing profits due to recently huge operating hits
  • rD lower priority in the grand scheme of WDW
  • Short timeline given incredible logistics required to plan marathon in conjunction with all other WDW departments (although other marathons also have to coordinate an incredible amount of logistics, and for them it's among non-associated parties, so I don't know how different this is)
  • Furloughed/staffing issues
  • [Insert other valid points here]
But, there is also the fact that Disney has hosted one of the top marathons in the U.S. for over 25 years, and I would think that they would also be focusing on the importance of the event all by itself (apart from all the considerations related to the race's connection to WDW). The seven biggest marathons in the U.S. are:
  • NYC
  • Chicago
  • Boston
  • Honolulu
  • LA
  • Marine Corp
  • WDW
After those seven (which are basically each at 20k+ participants), the numbers drop significantly to be about 10k and less runners for the next tier of marathons. So, only seven large premiere marathons in the U.S. My point is simply that the marathon itself is a premiere/headliner event with a long history that I think Disney would view as worthy of bringing back as soon as possible regardless of the exact economics/demand needs. To be clear, this does not apply to all the other rD weekends which do not carry this importance in U.S. running history. In addition, the WDW marathon is one of only two large marathons that distinguish themselves as marathons for the people given that the MCM and WDW marathon are the only two without prize money (and therefore don't attract the elite fields).

In any case, I feel that the event itself and its history is probably an important consideration at Disney in addition to all the other valid considerations.

Last edited:
Great explanation. I’d just like to add that none of that means they aren’t working behind the scenes to put the infrastructure into place to hold a race. I prefer to think of it like the old duck analogy. Calm and quiet on the surface, but working like crazy underneath where it isn’t being seen.

Everything you and PrincessV have written makes perfect sense, assuming rD is still trying to hold live events for W&D, Marathon Weekend, and Princess. They won't want to make an announcement on the return to live events until everything is set up and they're 100% sure live events WILL happen. However, if they've already decided W&D (and maybe the others?) will be virtual only, what would be the reason to further delay that announcement? I'm assuming the fact no announcement has been made means there's a chance a live W&D could still occur, but that's just an assumption on my part.

I'd definitely love to be in the room while these discussions are going on - it'd be fascinating!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter