News Round Up 2017

For the record, the miniature dog in the stroller I saw was also dressed up in a dress and wearing a hat. It was also about the size of miniature poodle. There is no way it was a trained service dog. It was an 'emotional support animal" through and through.

I saw several trained service dogs while there as well. Big difference. They weren't wearing costumes and getting carted around like a furry baby while their owners tried to do child swaps with them.

For the record, the miniature dog in the stroller I saw was also dressed up in a dress and wearing a hat. It was also about the size of miniature poodle. There is no way it was a trained service dog. It was an 'emotional support animal" through and through.

I saw several trained service dogs while there as well. Big difference. They weren't wearing costumes and getting carted around like a furry baby while their owners tried to do child swaps with them.

There is no legal requirement to allow an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) into an amusement park. That doesn't mean people don't get them in, which drives me nuts, as I don't think CMs are trained to say "no" so long as the dog has a stupid vest that can be bought off Ebay. You can get an ESA prescription from any number of "call to diagnose" shrinks, sadly. Eventually it will end badly as these dogs do not need the same training and temperament testing and at some point one will snap in the hustle and bustle and stress of a crowded park. People always have to look for loopholes to do what they want instead of what they should...

There is no legal requirement to allow an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) into an amusement park. That doesn't mean people don't get them in, which drives me nuts, as I don't think CMs are trained to say "no" so long as the dog has a stupid vest that can be bought off Ebay. You can get an ESA prescription from any number of "call to diagnose" shrinks, sadly. Eventually it will end badly as these dogs do not need the same training and temperament testing and at some point one will snap in the hustle and bustle and stress of a crowded park. People always have to look for loopholes to do what they want instead of what they should...

I think you're right. But I think if someone says that it's a service animal, Disney isn't allowed to ask for proof.

This one isn't that short though - it's more than 20 minutes long. I believe it was originally produced to be a half-hour long special on ABC, but I guess they've moved it to theaters help sell Coco tickets?

It's a bad sign for Coco that they think they need this short to keep it afloat...

I think you're right. But I think if someone says that it's a service animal, Disney isn't allowed to ask for proof.
You are allowed to ask these two questions:

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform.

But you are correct. You cannot ask for documented proof. Still, those two questions should be enough to weed out most ESAs. You can also ask if the dog is an ESA if you are not sure the dog is a service animal. If the person responds it is an ESA, the dog can be denied entry if WDW wanted to do so. If they respond it is a service animal, the two questions above come in to play. However, once the person establishes the dog is a service animal, it would be hard to deny entry without risking a lawsuit. That being said, if someone said their dog was a service dog, and I asked what work or task it provides, and the person replied it is a balance dog, if that dog looks less than 50lbs and the handler was more than 75lbs, I'm going to be very, very skeptical.

Again, Disney doesn't really want to tick off their clientele, so I'm guessing they just let people go through, but some day this will backfire. An amusement park is no place for a dog that hasn't been extensively trained and tested.

Actually Disney, according to the ADA, can ask:
Is the dog a service animal required for a disability? And what work or task has the dog been trained to do?

Edit: I see jknezak beat me to the answer :)

I am pretty sure this short has been in the works for some time. I don't think the short is needed to keep it afloat.

The short was supposed to be their holiday full episode tv release...this was a major change in programming...

A 21 minute video is not the norm for animated movie attached shorts...

The short was supposed to be their holiday full episode tv release...this was a major change in programming...

A 21 minute video is not the norm for animated movie attached shorts...
I didn't realize this short was that long but Pixar is known for having shorts in front of their movies. Personally I don't think this means they think Coco will do bad. It wasn't exactly supposed to be the next Toy Story. I for one am very excited for Coco. The animation looks incredible.

It's a bad sign for Coco that they think they need this short to keep it afloat...

I'm not sure any Pixar movie has ever really been worried about box office receipts to that extent.

Is it really 21 minutes??

I'm very excited for Coco but I don't really care to see a 21 minute frozen short ahead of it.

Especially if I want to watch it more than once.

I didn't realize this short was that long but Pixar is known for having shorts in front of their movies. Personally I don't think this means they think Coco will do bad. It wasn't exactly supposed to be the next Toy Story. I for one am very excited for Coco. The animation looks incredible.

Yeah, this short is the longest shown before a Disney movie in a long time, and I think the first time a Disney animated short is being shown before a Pixar film (I think the studios usually keep their shorts to their own movies). Coco probably would do fine on its own, but I think Disney is really hoping to knock it out of the park and already have a fair amount of bad press to combat (this is, after all, the production that Disney tried to trademark "Dia de los Muertos" for). Since this is the fist "original" IP from Pixar since the poorly received "Good Disnosaur" and it's coming right after "Cars 3" which is so far just getting "meh" reviews, in addition to it being the only original IP coming from Pixar in the foreseeable future, I'd bet Disney really wants it to be a success and Frozen will make sure it is.

Though I must agree with what someone above said - a 20+ minute short makes seeing this movie in theaters far less appealing to me. I enjoy the shorts before movies (in some cases, more than the actual movies), but 20 minutes isn't exactly short.

From the Disney fan universe it seems well received and much better than the 2nd. I haven't looked into any film critic reviews.

Yes, I've noticed this too. Critics do agree that it's a vast improvement over Cars 2, but are still finding the movie to be underwhelming. It's currently at 67% on Rotten Tomatoes. For reference, Captain Underpants (probably Cars 3's biggest competition this weekend) holds an 85% rating based on critical reviews.

Though I must agree with what someone above said - a 20+ minute short makes seeing this movie in theaters far less appealing to me. I enjoy the shorts before movies (in some cases, more than the actual movies), but 20 minutes isn't exactly short.

I would have agreed but the trailer actually convinced me otherwise, this one looks really good and honestly more based in the reality of the area Arendelle is based off of than FEA lol It looks cute!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter