No character "test" during Tink 5K and 10K.

Adding your two posts, there might be something here. I'm wondering if The City of Anaheim is getting annoyed with runners keeping the road closed for longer because of character pictures? I would imagine that Anaheim PD (or Orange County PD, or whatever) would want to get the roads opened back up as quickly as possible. That's also costing rD a lot of money to keep any kind of police force set up for the runs, and they're trying to keep that cost down. It's not the characters, it's pressure from the police force and local government.

I have only done Avengers in CA (yep, still Avengers not Super Heroes when I did it) and I would think this too, but why wouldn't they just end the race in the parks instead of having the parks at the beginning. That race started with you going through both parks and then hitting the streets of Anaheim. I could see what you are saying as a valid issue, but then reverse the course where the parks are the end game, therefore people aren't stopping as much in the beginning and can judge where they are at the end of it if they can stop or not. It also doesn't answer to pulling them from the 5k since those don't leave the parks in CA. Could it be some of the issue though for the longer races, absolutely!

Like I said earlier in this, I am perplexed! There are reasons for some changes that I can see are valid, but the way they are doing it is just backwards and to make matters worse is that they aren't up front about it so you get a bunch of angry people grasping at reasons and assumptions when they could have headed that off by giving some notice that it was going down and a reason why... even if we didn't believe the reason they gave. ha!

I am pretty sure they had them posted for both Star Wars 5k races at Disneyland (the past two years). I remember seeing actual wait times for BB8 and the droids and being like "you've got to be kidding me." I feel like the wait times were around 30-45 minutes. Maybe it was just a cast member yelling it out, but I remember seeing/hearing a hard number.

I am pretty sure they had them posted for both Star Wars 5k races at Disneyland (the past two years). I remember seeing actual wait times for BB8 and the droids and being like "you've got to be kidding me." I feel like the wait times were around 30-45 minutes. Maybe it was just a cast member yelling it out, but I remember seeing/hearing a hard number.
Ok, they've never done that at WDW as far as I know.

Adding your two posts, there might be something here. I'm wondering if The City of Anaheim is getting annoyed with runners keeping the road closed for longer because of character pictures? I would imagine that Anaheim PD (or Orange County PD, or whatever) would want to get the roads opened back up as quickly as possible. That's also costing rD a lot of money to keep any kind of police force set up for the runs, and they're trying to keep that cost down. It's not the characters, it's pressure from the police force and local government.

That's my current theory.

and @rteetz is the red-hat ladies and balloon ladies basically the same thing (and are they actually working for rD or Disney, or are they paying to get in like everyone else?)
1. The race this morning started at 5AM and was in the parks/Downtown Disney with a bit on service roads
2. Doesn't explain why they can't stick a character or two out in the finish area afterward

I found it interesting when I heard Disney wasn't using volunteers to staff the aid/water stations for this race. Instead they're paying people to do it. Maybe this is how they're funding that? Cutting out characters and paying for staffers instead? But seriously, this on top of the fact that the Red Hat Ladies wont be at the Half this year...I'm glad I sat this year out! And if I had paid to do the 5K or 10K I'd be pissed at not having any characters and not being told that was the case ahead of time. Very poor decision on RunDisney's part and I hope they get enough complaints that they realize that.

Talked to someone at the runDisney booth. The decision was made "for safety" and it'll be like that tomorrow as well.

I didn't ask about the half or other race weekends, mostly because I felt like she was giving me pushback ("there were characters! They were just up high!") and I didn't want to snap at her. I just expressed that I was disappointed and that if it was "for safety" then why weren't any characters in the finish area? That stumped her.

So at least I know what to expect for tomorrow?

Talked to someone at the runDisney booth. The decision was made "for safety" and it'll be like that tomorrow as well.

I didn't ask about the half or other race weekends, mostly because I felt like she was giving me pushback ("there were characters! They were just up high!") and I didn't want to snap at her. I just expressed that I was disappointed and that if it was "for safety" then why weren't any characters in the finish area? That stumped her.

Interesting. Thanks for reporting back.

Just waiting for RunDisney bust out a "due to guest demand" line that Disney seems to like to use at times.

Honestly, this just really bums me out. Especially for all the Tink runners that had no clue this morning.

During the Dark Side 10K last month, I was waiting in line to get my picture on the Emperor's throne. As my turn neared, a Disney CM warned us that the balloon ladies were 5 minutes behind us and that when they arrived at this point, we either needed to leave the line and join them or we would be swept. I knew I was close enough to my turn to not worry. A few minutes later I did see the buses in formation to form the sweep and a handful of runners who were now swept.

A major part of the appeal of runDisney is the total experience. And that includes characters even if I don't stop for them in Disneyland races because of the lines or have to pick and choose at WDW. If this becomes permanent, the popularity of runDisney races will decline especially in the shorter distances.

They need to be very clear. They need to tell runners that time spent in character lines may put them at risk of being swept and detail precisely what it means if you are swept such as no challenge medal if registered for one, not listed as a finisher, no proof of time, or possibly even turn the participant medal into a finishers medal.

Wow. Not good. I've run many Disney races and never stopped to meet, greet or photograph a character ever. But I enjoy seeing them on the course, (especially the Big Bad Wolf with the rap music in the marathon this year, which had me giggling for miles afterwards.) Part of the fun is always wondering who is around the corner, even if I'm not stopping. And our oldest is on a mission to spot Carl from Up on the course. Guess no Carl . . . although that was never likely anyway. :)

Safety - sure. :rolleyes:

It isn't quite as nice to say we didn't want to pay for them this year..........

I'm sorry but I'm not buying it. If safety was really an issue they'd do something about the crowding in the corrals. I don't think the character stops really contribute to safety worries.

Even if it's not a proper meet and greet I would think they'd at least have someone out for crowd support....

That said I chose to just snap a photo from the sideline and go during my first/only rundisney race (W&D 10k) until I made it halfway since all my training runs over 3 miles were treadmill run so my goal was just to finish and even then I chose to just stop for a non photopass stop (the stilt walkers backstage shortly after 3) and instead take my time savoring an empty world showcase and slowing my speed on the damp wood of the boardwalk i did meet Emeil pre race as Emmys was pulled for the start line already and did Lumiere and Donald/Goofy post

I planned to do at least on on corse stop for this year so let's hope the FL races know have characters

I have a feeling that the person/people who made this decision have never participated in a runDisney event.

I seem to remember cast members at last year's (2016) Enchanted 10K telling us about how long we would wait when we joined a photo line.

runDisney races are destination races. You go for the entertainment and experience. If this is the direction runDisney is going, I will consider other "destination" races around the US instead.

I bought a PhotoPass package and would much prefer a "real" picture.

Oh and there's a whole other issue. That people buy Photopass partially to get run photos, because now photopass photogs do it!

I would be furious - I really feel for all the kids who come out with their parents at 5am to do the 5K, hoping to get great photos along the way and meet some favorite characters, and then nada.

YES.

Adding your two posts, there might be something here. I'm wondering if The City of Anaheim is getting annoyed with runners keeping the road closed for longer because of character pictures? I would imagine that Anaheim PD (or Orange County PD, or whatever) would want to get the roads opened back up as quickly as possible.

For the 5K and 10K it's nil to minimal.

Ok, they've never done that at WDW as far as I know.

I don't remember it in Anaheim either.

Instead they're paying people to do it. Maybe this is how they're funding that?

There's a whole list of costs for the volunteers that they don't have to do for the temps. If they are budgeting it from elsewhere, their accountant needs to be fired.

The decision was made "for safety" and it'll be like that tomorrow as well.

hahahahaha.

"there were characters! They were just up high!"

Characters and on-course entertainment is what the site said and still says. Where's the entertainment?

I have a feeling that the person/people who made this decision have never participated in a runDisney event.

Yep. And is a big ol' stick in the mud serious runner. Hmm. Wonder if my brother is now running rundisney?

runDisney races are destination races. You go for the entertainment and experience. If this is the direction runDisney is going, I will consider other "destination" races around the US instead.

Seriously. Two hotel nights booked early and Rock and Roll Dublin Half for the cost of a Challenge...

I have only done Avengers in CA (yep, still Avengers not Super Heroes when I did it) and I would think this too, but why wouldn't they just end the race in the parks instead of having the parks at the beginning. That race started with you going through both parks and then hitting the streets of Anaheim. I could see what you are saying as a valid issue, but then reverse the course where the parks are the end game, therefore people aren't stopping as much in the beginning and can judge where they are at the end of it if they can stop or not. It also doesn't answer to pulling them from the 5k since those don't leave the parks in CA. Could it be some of the issue though for the longer races, absolutely!

Like I said earlier in this, I am perplexed! There are reasons for some changes that I can see are valid, but the way they are doing it is just backwards and to make matters worse is that they aren't up front about it so you get a bunch of angry people grasping at reasons and assumptions when they could have headed that off by giving some notice that it was going down and a reason why... even if we didn't believe the reason they gave. ha!

1. The race this morning started at 5AM and was in the parks/Downtown Disney with a bit on service roads
2. Doesn't explain why they can't stick a character or two out in the finish area afterward

You both have valid points, which doesn't explain my theory at all. The only thing I can think of is that this is the test run to see how much it affected times. Though aren't rD 5k runs generally untimed? I wonder if they keep times but just not publish them (or do the 5k bibs not have timing chips?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter