No Disney/US this trip

Any vacation = good!!!

I wouldn't worry so much about not doing the "perfect" thing, just focus on the fact that it is GREAT to be able to get away anywhere and do something besides work/school!

IDK...... what would I do if I were OP? not sure..... just to get away somewhere warm? I'd probably choose elsewhere completely. There a lot of places to visit with warmer weather and less driving. from KC what about mall of america? isn't that quite a bit closer? or possibly just a flordia beach trip, not parks at all and no orlando? I know some MO folks that love the Alabama shores for a not too far drive and some fun..... on the other hand if you don't mind the 1200 mile drive (and I know you midwest folks don't seem to mind long drives lol) Orlando has tons of fun off site...as noted above in posts. I also enjoy doing some no fee stuff at Disney to enjoy some fun while there,like eating, activities that don't require admission..... I love Florida anyway bc there are SO many nice places to visit.

IDK...... what would I do if I were OP? not sure..... just to get away somewhere warm? I'd probably choose elsewhere completely. There a lot of places to visit with warmer weather and less driving. from KC what about mall of america? isn't that quite a bit closer? or possibly just a flordia beach trip, not parks at all and no orlando? I know some MO folks that love the Alabama shores for a not too far drive and some fun..... on the other hand if you don't mind the 1200 mile drive (and I know you midwest folks don't seem to mind long drives lol) Orlando has tons of fun off site...as noted above in posts. I also enjoy doing some no fee stuff at Disney to enjoy some fun while there,like eating, activities that don't require admission..... I love Florida anyway bc there are SO many nice places to visit.
I don't think going up to Minnesota qualifies as getting away from the winter weather lol.

I have heard of a lot of good things about the Alabama Shores area. We almost planned on going there several years ago.

Can I ask how far you drive?

It's 1250 miles for us. We're splitting each way up into 2 days (per my husband, who insists on driving). So for hotels, food, gas, and paying for parking we'll save maybe $500 by not flying. Some might be excited for $500 in savings, but I would rather spend the extra $500 and cut 2 travel days from my trip :/
I couldn't agree more. Everyone does what works for them but 2 days in the car each way means 4 wasted days (32 vacation hours) from my bank at work. Depending on flight times, I can have the car all packed and ready, work a full day on Friday, have dh pick me up at work, head straight to PHL, and be at MCO by 11 pm. Get a good night's sleep and be ready to play Saturday am.
I love going 500 mph. :cloud9:

I couldn't agree more. Everyone does what works for them but 2 days in the car each way means 4 wasted days (32 vacation hours) from my bank at work. Depending on flight times, I can have the car all packed and ready, work a full day on Friday, have dh pick me up at work, head straight to PHL, and be at MCO by 11 pm. Get a good night's sleep and be ready to play Saturday am.
I love going 500 mph. :cloud9:

I am hoping to slowly wear him down as the year goes. We're going in December. He was all, but we'll need a car on top of the airfare. I'm like, not if we UBER. No parking fees, and cheaper than a rental. I love going from IL to FL in 3 hours!

I am hoping to slowly wear him down as the year goes. We're going in December. He was all, but we'll need a car on top of the airfare. I'm like, not if we UBER. No parking fees, and cheaper than a rental. I love going from IL to FL in 3 hours!

You don't need a rental unless you plan to go to a variety of places. (WDW+SW+USO+KSC) If it's Disney-only, Magical Express is free. They take you to your resort and literally put your luggage in your room. We stayed offsite many times when our kids were little (ahem, we were younger too) and now the thought of cramming bags into the trunk, and dealing with the rental car feel more like work. We still do it when we have to, such as our trip out west, but really Disney has us spoiled.

I used to use the SWA credit card to earn pts and we'd fly free quite often, or at least some of us fly free, or maybe just free one way, and pay for return only. Then I found the Chase Sapphire Preferred card and even though it's a little higher annual fee, I find the benefits well worth it. Chase Ultimate Rewards pts can be used to book flights, hotels, rental cars or just transfer them to one of several airlines and book direct with the airline using their pts/miles.
It's very versatile. Also spending on ANY travel (hotel, taxi, airport parking, rental car, etc.) or dining earns double pts whereas the SWA card only earns double for SWA purchases. Since a lot of our flights were free, it dawned on me that we'd rarely earn double pts for our everyday purchases when we had the SWA card. With the CSP, if we get pizza Friday night, it earns double pts. :)
When flights are free or half price, it would be easier to convince him. ;)

Of course, if someone is reluctant to fly due to FoF, that's an entirely different story. No rationale will convince him/her. My BFF finally started flying again after dealing with FoF for over 30 years. They drove EVERYWHERE with their motorhome.

Last edited:
You don't need a rental unless you plan to go to a variety of places. (WDW+SW+USO+KSC) If it's Disney-only, Magical Express is free. They take you to your resort and literally put your luggage in your room. We stayed offsite many times when our kids were little (ahem, we were younger too) and now the thought of cramming bags into the trunk, and dealing with the rental car feel more like work. We still do it when we have to, such as our trip out west, but really Disney has us spoiled.

We're staying off site, so we need transportation to and from the parks, as well as USO, and a restaurant I found that I want to check out while we're there. Groceries will be delivered in. But I agree with not necessarily needing a rental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter