No documents yet?

runskyhy

It's not less monkey, it's Moe Monkey!
With a BSM trip scheduled for less than 2 weeks away, I called my TA this past Monday to see why I haven't received any travel documents or information from her or ABD yet. I am not even sure what I am supposed to receive, but the ABD website notes something about sending planning documents about 45 days prior to the trip. My TA checked with ABD and informed me that they didn't know what happened but they were sending me out something this week.

Has this ever happened to anyone else prior to their ABD trip? Would ABD know the tracking numbers for the packages they send out so they could see when it was originally sent?

I checked the boards here and didn't see much traffic about this subject.

With a BSM trip scheduled for less than 2 weeks away, I called my TA this past Monday to see why I haven't received any travel documents or information from her or ABD yet. I am not even sure what I am supposed to receive, but the ABD website notes something about sending planning documents about 45 days prior to the trip. My TA checked with ABD and informed me that they didn't know what happened but they were sending me out something this week.

Has this ever happened to anyone else prior to their ABD trip? Would ABD know the tracking numbers for the packages they send out so they could see when it was originally sent?

Something is fishy here and I think your travel agent got the stuff and forgot to send it to you. There is an itinerary book a luggage handle thingy and a backpack that is sent out approx 45 days before the trip but if you use a travel agent the stuff is sent to the travel agent not you, your travel agent has to then send it to you. I would keep on the travel agent until you get your stuff.

Yes, the package is sent via UPS, so you could ask AbD for that info. Like a PP said, it sounds like your travel agent received the package and neglected to forward to you. We have always received our package somewhere at the 45-day mark...

I've always gotten mine around 45 days out too. There's nothing in the package that you actually must have for the trip. It's just your story book and some other fun stuff - not actually travel documents

Thanks for your quick responses!! I am glad to hear there is nothing in the package needed for the trip.

I was still curious (overanxious, impatient, <insert your adjective here>, etc.) about the package tracking number, so I called ABD after work today (as noted/recommended by those above) to see if they could give it to me.

The explanation I recieved from the ABD rep was that the packages for this trip were all sent out late because of "packaging changes". (I couldn't get any further information about that either.) I asked for a tracking number for the package and they told me they would not have that information until next Monday. So, I asked if the package had even been shipped yet and she told me she didn't have that information available.

Two different agencies, two different explanations. I think there is more to the story. Nevertheless, a vacation is a vacation, right? It's not too long now! :yay:

Thanks for your quick responses!! I am glad to hear there is nothing in the package needed for the trip.

I was still curious (overanxious, impatient, <insert your adjective here>, etc.) about the package tracking number, so I called ABD after work today (as noted/recommended by those above) to see if they could give it to me.

The explanation I recieved from the ABD rep was that the packages for this trip were all sent out late because of "packaging changes". (I couldn't get any further information about that either.) I asked for a tracking number for the package and they told me they would not have that information until next Monday. So, I asked if the package had even been shipped yet and she told me she didn't have that information available.

Two different agencies, two different explanations. I think there is more to the story. Nevertheless, a vacation is a vacation, right? It's not too long now! :yay:

Regardless you will have a great time this trip is awesome!!!

Regardless you will have a great time this trip is awesome!!!

Yep. Don't let this snafu bother you. It's like the guides come from a different planet than the rest of the company. They are exceptionally good and will take great care of you.

I'm updating my comment. Decided it wasn't quite fair. There are some people besides the quides at ABD who do their job very well too. But the rest of the company isn't as consistently good as the guides.

Well, seeing as yours is probably one of the first trips of 2010, you're probably getting a redesign on the box. The boxes from last year were odd, and were supposed to be some sort of "memory" box or something, but it was just a black box with space for the stuff. So it's possible the new boxes came late... I'll be interested to see what your box looks likes, and if you get the same backpacks as last year. Post pictures when you get it!

Sayhello

ETA: I looked at the brochure. You're *the* first trip of 2010!

Something is fishy here and I think your travel agent got the stuff and forgot to send it to you. There is an itinerary book a luggage handle thingy and a backpack that is sent out approx 45 days before the trip but if you use a travel agent the stuff is sent to the travel agent not you, your travel agent has to then send it to you. I would keep on the travel agent until you get your stuff.

Not always true. I've booked over 100 guests on AbD trips, and only had two of the boxes sent to me. I set up all the rest to go directly to the guest and there has only been one problem in all of those shipments. And the problem was not the fault of AbD.

runskyhy, unless things have changed, the packages are sent out from Florida, which could explain why the AbD rep didn't yet have a tracking number or more concise information.

I know I tend to be an AbD cheerleader, but I really do think they do a fabulous job. I work with a lot of other tour companies, so I get to see it all!

I'm looking forward to seeing the goodies as well -- I hope you have time to post photos!

Dotti

~~ Join me on Knights and Lights, 6/11/10! ~~

Yep. Don't let this snafu bother you. It's like the guides come from a different planet than the rest of the company. They are exceptionally good and will take great care of you.

This is the exact concern that came to mind right after those phone conversations! Thanks for mentioning this!!

I would keep on the travel agent until you get your stuff.

Okay, so this does bring up another question - not ABD related though. What amount of time is to be expected between e-mailing travel requests (not just a question) to a TA and getting a response? 24 hours? 3 days? 1 week? I have no idea what to expect. I usually do not use one.

Post pictures when you get it!

Definitely!

Thanks again for all your positive responses about ABD! This (tour group experience) is a first for us.

I hope you get your stuff soon.

I was talking to my TA earlier today and she said ours will be sent to her and it will be here about 3 weeks before our trip.

Okay, so this does bring up another question - not ABD related though. What amount of time is to be expected between e-mailing travel requests (not just a question) to a TA and getting a response? 24 hours? 3 days? 1 week? I have no idea what to expect. I usually do not use one.

I'd be interested to hear what's expected from everyone here. I always wondered, being on the other side of it. :)

I'm not sure if we are the norm, but if we hear from a client with a new reservation request, we try to answer within an hour. Obviously, if we're very busy or out of the office, that doesn't always work, but I'd say the maximum is 6 hours.

If I have a current client with a non-urgent need ("Here's my flight information for Magical Express for six months out"), I always try to answer the same day, but if not, definitely within 24 hours. I carry my Blackberry everywhere so at least respond and say I got the message and will get back to them as soon as possible with an answer. That doesn't mean I'll add that flight information within 24 hours, but I do answer. :)

When you say travel requests -- do you mean something like adding a pre-night or post-night? In those cases, even though I answer right away it may not be added immediately. With AbD, occasionally the pre- or post-night rooms need to be requested before they can be added. I do keep the client informed of the progress, though!

It should never take three days to get back to anyone on anything. If someone is on vacation and not checking email or voice messages, then someone reliable should be covering for him/her. It's your TA's job to be there for you and your right to expect it. You can usually tell who the TA is working for, and it should be you.

What do you all think? Is 24 hours even too long for a non-urgent request? I'd love to hear your opinions!

Dotti

~~ Join me for Knights and Lights on 6/11/10! ~~

Well, since we've been spoiled by Dotti, I now expect a return call/email within an hour! :thumbsup2

I'd be interested to hear what's expected from everyone here. I always wondered, being on the other side of it. :)

I'm not sure if we are the norm, but if we hear from a client with a new reservation request, we try to answer within an hour. Obviously, if we're very busy or out of the office, that doesn't always work, but I'd say the maximum is 6 hours.

If I have a current client with a non-urgent need ("Here's my flight information for Magical Express for six months out"), I always try to answer the same day, but if not, definitely within 24 hours. I carry my Blackberry everywhere so at least respond and say I got the message and will get back to them as soon as possible with an answer. That doesn't mean I'll add that flight information within 24 hours, but I do answer. :)

When you say travel requests -- do you mean something like adding a pre-night or post-night? In those cases, even though I answer right away it may not be added immediately. With AbD, occasionally the pre- or post-night rooms need to be requested before they can be added. I do keep the client informed of the progress, though!

It should never take three days to get back to anyone on anything. If someone is on vacation and not checking email or voice messages, then someone reliable should be covering for him/her. It's your TA's job to be there for you and your right to expect it. You can usually tell who the TA is working for, and it should be you.

What do you all think? Is 24 hours even too long for a non-urgent request? I'd love to hear your opinions!

Dotti

No offense Dotti but I don't usually use a travel agent, however if I did I would give at least 24 for them to respond. I wouldn't even be annoyed if it took 48 hours.

I agree with Tozzie. 24 hours sounds very reasonable.

Of course, that depends on your definition of non-urgent!

Sayhello

This is the exact concern that came to mind right after those phone conversations! Thanks for mentioning this!!

Definitely!

Thanks again for all your positive responses about ABD! This (tour group experience) is a first for us.

I can't wait to see what you get this year. I am on the DIS BOARDS group trip for Backstage Magic Tour on April 13th. Because we have all 40 spots filled it will not show up on ABD's website.

Dotti

I think 24 hours is fine for non-urgent request, Dotti! :thumbsup2

runskyhy, unless things have changed, the packages are sent out from Florida, which could explain why the AbD rep didn't yet have a tracking number or more concise information.

Cool. Thanks! :thumbsup2

I'm looking forward to seeing the goodies as well -- I hope you have time to post photos!

No package from ABD still, but the ice on the road outside might have something to do with that though. My TA is going to call for the tracking number on Monday. :goodvibes

Yup, I meant either that, setting up excursions/dining, or even new reservations for tickets/hotel/transportation. (Sorry, I should've been clearer.)

You hit the mark right on when you mentioned the 'progress' - I know that a reservation process period can vary widely depending on the circumstances, but it is nice to get a progress update if there is an unforseen step added. But I know an agent has other clients, too, so I don't like to pester.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback! You are making me feel like we ABD travelers are our own 'family'... and I haven't even boarded the plane!

:thanks:

ABD called TA today. Says package is to be sent out tomorrow to TA office. TA office to forward it my way as soon as they get it. :snail:

ABD called TA today. Says package is to be sent out tomorrow to TA office. TA office to forward it my way as soon as they get it. :snail:

That's good to hear. I hope you get the package before you leave...

You may also want to bring an umbrella (or not, since the AbD guides will probably have a few to hand out) because a big storm system is expected to hit Southern California next week... :eek:

You may also want to bring an umbrella (or not, since the AbD guides will probably have a few to hand out) because a big storm system is expected to hit Southern California next week... :eek:

Thanks. Maybe it will fill up the River of Americas and I will get to see Fantasmic after all! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter