• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

No Flash Pictures Please --- Redux

We were on Indiana Jones once when a couple sitting in the front row decided to film the entire ride (with their camera light on). When we got back to the station, the CM's let the couple exit the car and then asked the rest of us how we felt about another ride :cool1:

The couple was just standing in the exit hallway watching the rest of us go back on the ride again. It was the only time I can remember that we've had the CMs make up for people ruining a ride with their camera :thumbsup2

We were on Indiana Jones once when a couple sitting in the front row decided to film the entire ride (with their camera light on). When we got back to the station, the CM's let the couple exit the car and then asked the rest of us how we felt about another ride :cool1:

The couple was just standing in the exit hallway watching the rest of us go back on the ride again. It was the only time I can remember that we've had the CMs make up for people ruining a ride with their camera :thumbsup2

:cool1:Very cool!! so glad the CMs did that for you! (sure wish they would always offer that option....)

My wife has gotten some good shots without flash on Pirates so it is possible, but yes, flash photography on those rides is the bane of my existence. I do get a kick out of people freaking out when the voice of god comes over the intercom to warn them about it and they wonder how the CM's knew :rotfl:

It's not always rude.

Yes it is. Don't use it, if it is clearly going to disrupt other guests. A design limitation of the camera doesn't make using it, and disturbing others, any less rude. Put the thing away, and enjoy the experience.

On a related note, I'm surprised there has not been more posts talking about people using their tablets to record on dark-rides. I saw a young lady recording HM with her iPhone, and was amazed. She was watching the whole thing through the small 4 inch screen. This amazing experience being observed through her phone LCD. I was blown away...

What about hats that have flashing lights?
I was actually concerned about the glow sticks I had built into my Cheshire Cat Costume (for the Halloween party) possibly distracting other guests, in some dark rides.
But this was so minimal compared to some of the hats and light up wear gadgets that they sell in the parks.

Actually the light up stuff, with an off switch, is probably the best.
Soon maybe they will have signs telling people to turn these off when on the dark rides.

Really it is only the flashing ones I find really distracting.

jetskigrl said:

That was such a nice, good offer that the CM had made for you and your fellow passengers.
I haven't had that experience, but would love to, in the event that someone was flashing so much.
I had asked on two separate occasions about being able to ride again with the pirates because of said annoying flashers, and was granted permission to go aboard. That was such a nice experience and so made up for the previous voyage.

goooof1 said:
:cool1:Very cool!! so glad the CMs did that for you! (sure wish they would always offer that option....)

I agree. That would be awesome! :)

goooof1 said:
Oh, and GOOD call!! For some reason this needs to be said over and over and over again (and repeated constantly)...!!?!

Thank you. And that's what I believe too.
I like to see this thread as being a way for people to post their thoughts, opinions and experiences as it relates to this subject. And also as a good way to impart helpful tips and advice on the subject of filming or taking pictures of dark rides.

T0rrent said:
My wife has gotten some good shots without flash on Pirates so it is possible, but yes, flash photography on those rides is the bane of my existence. I do get a kick out of people freaking out when the voice of god comes over the intercom to warn them about it and they wonder how the CM's knew :rotfl:

I love that too! :) When all of a sudden, out of no where, in the black of night, there is a booming voice stating no flash pictures! I have observed some people getting the message and following along, while still there will be (Sometimes) one or more passengers that just don't either hear the message, care about it, or understand it. Even for those guests that might not understand the language, they should still (One would think anyway) use common sense and powers of observation. Maybe one day.

TheGreatGafsby said:
Yes it is. Don't use it, if it is clearly going to disrupt other guests. A design limitation of the camera doesn't make using it, and disturbing others, any less rude. Put the thing away, and enjoy the experience.

On a related note, I'm surprised there has not been more posts talking about people using their tablets to record on dark-rides. I saw a young lady recording HM with her iPhone, and was amazed. She was watching the whole thing through the small 4 inch screen. This amazing experience being observed through her phone LCD. I was blown away...

I agree. It is best, in my opinion, to not film or take any pictures, in the event that it will clearly create disturbances and or distractions for other guests.

That is too funny. I would imagine that the recording did not come out very well. Plus she was running the risk of losing her phone in the bayou. It is very easy to drop your phone. Believe me. In her case though, It would not make me feel bad in the least, in the event that her film making was being a bother to other guests. :)

Agreed! Put the phone down and enjoy the adventure.
Again though, if one knows that it will disturb other guests around you. Otherwise, no one will mind, I would imagine.

eileenkeeney said:
What about hats that have flashing lights?
I was actually concerned about the glow sticks I had built into my Cheshire Cat Costume (for the Halloween party) possibly distracting other guests, in some dark rides.
But this was so minimal compared to some of the hats and light up wear gadgets that they sell in the parks.

Actually the light up stuff, with an off switch, is probably the best.
Soon maybe they will have signs telling people to turn these off when on the dark rides.

Really it is only the flashing ones I find really distracting.

I love the Cheshire kitty too! I am a proud pin wearer of said kitty and of also Marie, I like to call her little Marie, because she is but a wee bit of a kitten. Anyway, unless there was an off switch for your costume, not too much could be done, I would imagine, short of not wearing the costume. But really, that would be a bit much to ride around in nothin' but your bvds. Lol
;) I wouldn't worry about it, in a case like this. Now with hats, and anything else that may be removed and or shut off, that would be a very nice thing indeed for people to do when taking passage upon a dark ride. I have not seen signs like that, but I have heard cast members telling guests that type of message just before setting sail with those rascally, bad boy pirates.

I detest flashing cameras on dark rides too :( My family and I go only every few years, so flashing cameras can ruin our experience on those rides for years until we get to ride it again.

We went in 2006 and it was awesome! Hardly any flashing camera. The CMs would always speak up over intercom while on the ride if someone was using one.

In 2009, it was AWFUL! I don't know what changed, but flashing cameras EVERYWHERE! I was pretty upset. 4 out of the 5 times I rode pirates was ruined by flash. The CMs no longer spoke up if someone was using flashing cameras. The general attitude of the CMs were different as well. More bitter? Did Disneyland go through a rough patch around then?

Went back in 2012, and it was amazing again! CMs were on top of people using their cameras, and it made a huge difference. I hope it's the same still!

PLEASE PEOPLE NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY IS ALLOWED! ON THE PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN RIDE ATTRACTION NOR THE HAUNTED MANSION!

PLACE OUT OF VIEW ALL FLASHING OR BLINKING NECKLACES, BRACELETS, PINS ETC! NONE OF US WANT TO SEE THAT EITHER!

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

It's obnoxious on Little Mermaid too.

Totally agree about LM. In fact, flash photography/blinking jewelry/video screens/phone screens, etc. on any dark ride is annoying at best, dangerous/harmful to some people's health at worst.

FYI, you can ask the CMs when you board the rides to be looking for flash photography. Especially if this is a health safety issue, explain that you (or your child) need to avoid the flashing lights/blinking jewelry if at all possible. We've done that, and CMs will make an extra announcement. For those guests who ignore it, the CMs will make announcements (sometimes quite specific ones) during the ride. Sometimes, if the ride is not crowded, the CMs will let a few vehicles go empty before and after your party to create a light free buffer zone.

Maybe they need signs and announcements that include
"To avoid being asked to leave the park " before giving the do not do specifics.

I did see this on one of the instruction signs in WDW, I think it was the greenhouse ride in epcot, and the sign was related to staying in the boat.

Really the parks are a bit crowded anyway, so one way to get the crowds down is to start kicking people out who can not follow the rules.

I'm probably alone in this, but for the most part, I don't really understand taking pictures in the rides at ALL (aside from, perhaps, taking photos of your family or kids on the ride, maybe their reactions when they are little). Most of the rides have plenty of photos up all over the internet if you want to relive it, and all of the rides have multiple ride-through videos on YouTube. While you are there, just enjoy the experience! You paid for it! Be present!

I'm probably alone in this, but for the most part, I don't really understand taking pictures in the rides at ALL (aside from, perhaps, taking photos of your family or kids on the ride, maybe their reactions when they are little). Most of the rides have plenty of photos up all over the internet if you want to relive it, and all of the rides have multiple ride-through videos on YouTube. While you are there, just enjoy the experience! You paid for it! Be present!

Some of us get great gratification in capturing the images from the parks ourselves. Some of us scrapbook and prefer to use our own photos. Some of us are amateur photographers and enjoy the challenge of creating the best images possible in one of the most visually stimulating environments in the world.

When we were young, my dad taught us to only take photos with people in them (people we wanted photos of) because it was cheaper to buy post cards than to get photos developed.
But now, with it being so cheap (almost free) to just take lots and lots of pictures, even my dad will just take pictures of stuff, lots of stuff.

But I am tending to agree with you, related to the rides in Disney. There are so many photos online now, that are better than any I could take.
But this was not always the case.
I think I will just enjoy the ride instead of trying to get photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter