No reservations?

cjmahm

Earning My Ears
Looking to book for a trip in December 2022 and not showing anything available. The first week of December shows Tent/Pop up sites available and nothing else. The rest of the month is showing nothing at all available. Am I doing something wrong or is it possible that everything is actually already booked one year out??

Very possible/likely it's all booked up, @cjmahm. Weekends are especially tough to get (Fri and Sat nights).

The first half of December USED to be a slower time both at the Fort and the parks but not any more. That time of year books up WELL in advance of a year out. And the last two weeks of December fill up within days of allowing reservations.

Our advice is to decide what site level you want (Full, Premium, etc.) and constantly check (even multiple times a day) for one day at a time or two day chunks. Book what ever you can get. You'll pay a deposit for each reservation, of course, but at a year out, if you remain diligent, people generally can pick up the dates they want and piece together a vacation.

After you get all your dates across multiple reservations, you can call to get them (and all the deposits) merged into a single reservation level (dates must be consecutive and all the same site type). So if you want it you can still get it but you may have to work for it.

Bama Ed

It likely booked a year ago when it opened up for reservations. Booking Fort has typically been difficult around holidays. Need to keep looking for cancelation options opening up.

Okay, thanks so much for all the info and one more follow up question. Do folks seem to have better luck actually calling and speaking with someone rather than trying to do everything online?

It's been my experience, @cjmahm, that the Disney CM's on the phone line see the same inventory (or none at all if that's the case) that I see on-line. So no way in 🤬 I'm doing this over the phone.

I would check on-line all the way down to 1- night increments and book what you can find on-line (and pay the deposits). When you've assembled all your dates, THEN call a Reservation CM to combine.

I'm also of the opinion that a lot of folks "throw a reservation out there" well in advance but as @ScarletFire said above, people will end up cancelling some of them. Depends on how flexible you are about waiting down to within a month (in that example) of arrival to keep snatching up cancellations. But if you start now and be persistent, it can work out sooner than that.

Bama Ed

PS - remember to decide what level of site you want to get first. A Premium 2-night reservation can not be combined with a Preferred 1-night reservation (for example). You would likely have to move (unless you kept checking while you were at the Fort).

An extreme example:

There are sites available from tomorrow (Saturday 12/18/21) to nearly two weeks out (Sunday 01/02/22).

Premium and Preferred

Fort Available.PNG

Not cheap, granted. But when compared to hotels off-site, on-site, parking fees, and "in-the-bubble", there is availability out there.

Bama Ed

More last minute availability.

Check in tomorrow (Tue 12/21/21) and stay for a week (which includes Christmas Day). Tent/Full/Premium available.

Capture.PNG

Bama Ed

Wow! Lots of last minute cancellations. I wonder if it is just dumping room only resis at the last minute or Covid anxiety.

j

Sure is, Jim. I wonder how far back there started to be some availability for this time frame. I think, though, that it gives hope for the OP next year if they can keep checking maybe even within 30 days of arrival (if need be).

Ed

I've been trying with no luck to get a site in February. There's nothing available. Waiting for people to dump reservations. I managed to get a tent site the first week of March for $157 per night and that's a crazy price. We have a very small camper and a tent site is fine with me. But, I'm not crazy about the cost! Will keep trying for February.

I canceled our December 21 birthday trip because of COVID. I didn't want to impact our family Christmas.

We had a poster, @ilovedisneymm, in this thread

https://www.disboards.com/threads/time-will-tell.3858713/page-2

in the first post at the top of the page (post #21) pick up 5 days this past weekend (Full) for January. So don't give up hope.

At the 30 day-before-arrival point on the calendar, people using packages have to pay in full or cancel to get their money back. People with room-only reservations can cancel up until 5 days before arrival to get their deposit back. I would expect you to see some openings starting about 40 days out before you want to arrive.

Bama Ed

PS - are you still checking in 1- or 2-day increments? Also February has Valentine's Day, President's Day, and the Princess Half Marathon all of which put additional impetus to a WDW stay.

Can't seem to find definitive answer on this, but how far out in advance can you reserve campsites? I know online it appears about a year, and have read that it once was 499 days if you call, but that changed.

Can't seem to find definitive answer on this, but how far out in advance can you reserve campsites? I know online it appears about a year, and have read that it once was 499 days if you call, but that changed.

The "definitive" answer from Reservation Line Cast Members over the years is 499 nights/500 days in advance although the definition interpretation has changed over the years. So for today Jan 28, 2022 you can make a reservation as far out as ARRIVING on Jun 12, 2023 for as long as 30 days.

HOW you make a reservation has varied. The online tool has never been updated at the 500 limit. It was typically updated about June for the following year. But you can make a reservation over the phone now for 2023. We have a thread on the Camping Board page 1 about this. The tool is a convenience but not a requirement. They'll update the online tool for 2023 when they get around to it I guess.

The whole pandemic thing altered Disney using the 500 day rule for a while. They weren't making 2023 reservations RIGHT at the 500 day mark for a while and only in mid Dec 2022 when it was less than 400 days out did they jump out there and start booking at 500 days again. So Disney is back to 500 days/499 nights again (currently via phone).

Bama Ed

PS - one thing I noted now is that the 2023 rates are being set well in advance. My 2023 reservation says quoted rates are guaranteed as long as your room reservation is not changed.

Great, thank you so much for the information bama_ed! One last question as we look to book, you can only request a category of campsite, and not a particular site # correct? I believe I read that you can only request a specific site # on arrival day, but just wanted to confirm.

Let's agree first that a site request is ONLY a request and not a guarantee. It has to be available and empty the day you arrive in order for you to be assigned to it (or the guest currently on it is leaving the same day you arrive).

When you make a reservation over the phone, you can certainly ask the CM to "add a note" to request a specific site or loop number. Your reservation is ONLY for a certain level of site (Tent, Full, Preferred, Premium, Premium Meadows). There is not a way to make a request when making a reservation with the on-line booking tool. In those cases you have to call back some time, any time, before arrival and ask to have the note added. The computer system pre-assigns your reservation a site number in the days before you arrive based on what sites should be vacant for your level. However, the notes/requests are passed down to the Fort as well as site numbers and a CM reviews that and tries to make as many requests come true with manual changes before arrival based on availability (the CM's really do try to deliver the magic in this regard).

I'm a person that always requests a specific loop in my reservation and then when I arrive I try to ask about 2-3 specific sites in that loop. If you just ask for site #1624, for example, and it's not available the CM has no idea why you wanted it and has less ability to make the magic happen. Maybe it's very close to the Comfort Station (your intent) and #1625 might be available. Maybe you wanted to be in 1600 loop. But they would see that #1624 is unavailable and put you in another Full loop.

I request a loop and then try to check in as early as possible on the arrival day. I admit I take it to the extreme. The "day" at FW starts at 6am and I've walked in before 7am for about the last 8 trips. Nobody's there, the CM just came on duty and is fresh, and a conversation (negotiation?) is possible. They would see my request for loop 100, for example. And I offer up in conversation, "gee it would be great if #114, #116, or #127 is available". The CM would say that it might be possible but I'd have to wait till the guest left that morning. Or they might say, none of those are available but I do have #101 available. That's what happened to me earlier this month. Made a Tent reservation, requested 1500 loop, got there at 630am on arrival day and asked for 1511 (best site in the loop IMO). For the first time, in four tries, I got it - had to wait though for the guest to leave and site to be prepped. A site was ready in 2000 early that morning but I passed on it.

The reason I suggest arriving as early as possible is the later you arrive, the fewer your options (if you care). 1500 is a popular (and small) loop with only 21 sites. If five sites are available for assignment on arrival day and six people requested 1500, somebody's not going to get it (the last person to arrive - I've been that guy and that's when I learned my lesson). I got bumped to 2000 loop and that was the last time I had to stay in it. I make no plans for parks on arrival day and only dinner ADR's by which time I should have gotten whatever I'm gonna get. If you're a guest who is happy to get whatever you get, no problem. But it won't happen unless you ask and the earlier you arrive, the more likely that it can happen.

Sorry to be so wordy but as long as you check in early and have a couple options for sites, the chances are good that you'll get something you're happy with.

Bama Ed

PS - weekends Jan-May and Oct-Dec book up pretty early with Florida locals making their 2-3 day plans especially in the Full and Preferred levels of sites. So book early if you plan to travel then. What happens if you want a week, it will not be available because Sun-Thurs are there but Fri and/or Sat are not.

Last edited:
Looking to book for a trip in December 2022 and not showing anything available. The first week of December shows Tent/Pop up sites available and nothing else. The rest of the month is showing nothing at all available. Am I doing something wrong or is it possible that everything is actually already booked one year out??
People cancel trips all the time. Just keep an eye out and have fun!

Bama Ed, great information and thanks so much as you have answered so much we were wondering about. I lied too, as this all made me come up with one more question 😉. We would definitely look to get to the Fort first thing. When you arrive and talk to a CM, are you going through the drive through checkin or are you going inside to the Outpost?

Bama Ed, great information and thanks so much as you have answered so much we were wondering about. I lied too, as this all made me come up with one more question 😉. We would definitely look to get to the Fort first thing. When you arrive and talk to a CM, are you going through the drive through checkin or are you going inside to the Outpost?

One time there was a CM in one of the huts in the drive through checkin at that early time of the morning.

The other times the security guard who welcomed me told me to pull up and park in one of the empty check-in lanes and walk inside to the main Fort lobby to check in. I do what the guard tells me to do but prefer going inside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter