No straws....so, what's the alternative?

dlstc

Mouseketeer
I've read in various places that, for the safety of the animals, straws (and plastic lids?) are not allowed at AK.

I can appreciate and fully support protecting the animals.

My question is, do they provide an alternative for kids? Some sort of disposable sippy cup perhaps? Or should I just plan on bringing my own?

Also, are cups with lids and straws the standard kiddie cups at the other parks and resorts?

Thanks in advance.

Diana

Originally posted by dlstc
I've read in various places that, for the safety of the animals, straws (and plastic lids?) are not allowed at AK.

I can appreciate and fully support protecting the animals.

My question is, do they provide an alternative for kids? Some sort of disposable sippy cup perhaps? Or should I just plan on bringing my own?

Also, are cups with lids and straws the standard kiddie cups at the other parks and resorts?

Thanks in advance.

Diana

From what I have seen if your child is at the age of needing a sippy cup I would bring your own.

I have not seen any alternative for kids but, at Walmart I saw a disposable set of sippy cups that weren't very expensive. Maybe that would be helpful.:D

I brought my own straws into the park. You could also bring one of those plastic kids cups with straws. That's what I'm doing this year at all parks. I figure I'll have my kids split one pop instead of buying 2 at 3.00 each or whatever they cost.

Remember you can't put soda pop into sippy cups. (At least you can't in Playtex ones the pop fizzes out of it)

Originally posted by 720L
I brought my own straws into the park. You could also bring one of those plastic kids cups with straws. That's what I'm doing this year at all parks.

I think bringing those plastic cups with the built-in straws is a great idea. My kids loved those when they were little, they prevent spills, but the soda won't fizz out like sippy cups.

I think bringing your own straws is a bad idea. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a no-straws policy in the park? Unless, of course, you bring non-disposable straws and take them back out of the park with you. :D

I also bring my own straws. When I'm done with it, I throw it in the trash can, I don't toss it over the fence to the animals.

Since they don't have straws or lids, you'll really need to bring your own sippy cups, not just straws, for really small children. Older kids won't spill with just a straw, but little ones will.

I think that most soft drinks would be okay in a sippy if you let it get kind of flat first, which you could do by pouring it from the original cup to the sippy and then back again a few times. Of course, if it's a really young child, you'll probably be sticking to juice and water rather than fizzy soft drinks anyway.

I would suggest that you buy one of those cute mickey straw covers that they sell at the water/pop carts. They fit on the water bottles and pop bottles. That way when you go on a ride you can put the lid back on and save it for later.

Originally posted by Dopey Sharon
I also bring my own straws. When I'm done with it, I throw it in the trash can, I don't toss it over the fence to the animals.

I do the same thing, Dopey Sharon, ::yes:: and I don't feel bad about it. I would never throw My Straw, or a Disney Provided Straw on the ground for one of the animals to eat. Same goes for food. It's too bad that some people are so bad about littering that they have to make rules like that.... :rolleyes: Although I am a little confused about the lid part.........:confused:

You need to bring your own. I bring one of my Tupperware insulated glasses with a lid and a Tupperware bendable straw. Transfer my tea into it and I am good to go.

We brought sippy cups when the kids

Soda wasn't an issue as our kids didn't drink much soda until they'd outgrown sippy cups. Disney offers Lemonade (probably just as much sugar, but no carbonation) and often apple juice for kids.

yes- as of 2 days ago- they had the dasani (24 oz?) with the sport cap for about 2.50. You can always get that as part of your "meal deal" if you purchase one - my son used his "drink" coupon for one of those.

I would suggest that you buy one of those cute mickey straw covers that they sell at the water/pop carts. They fit on the water bottles and pop bottles. That way when you go on a ride you can put the lid back on and save it for later.

We bought these on our previous trip and take them back with us. We love them. Unfortunately my DD isn't the problem with drinks with no lids...it's my DH!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Although they don't have plain straws they *DO* have spoon-straws. It's a long straw with a spoon attatched to the end. They are plastic with a little safari Mickey attatched to the top. (we kept ours). I know they have them in Camp MM because we got them with rootbeer floats. And they didn't cost extra. You could just ask for one!

We always bring our own straws. We have stayed at AKL and are staying there again next month, they don't have straws either so we bring our own for the resort too. :)

P.S. Those Mickey spoon straws are so cute. I still have mine from my Coke float last year. YUM!!! :teeth:

Boy, nobody got stopped for contraband straws? I once went to get a drink at Rainforest Cafe, and went back through the park entrance, and the CM was extremely aggressive about my drink. There was no way he was going to let a straw pass his watch!!! I totally support the no straw rule, but his agressive attitude was a little surprising, as I am sure that many ppl came with drinks from the Rainforest Cafe on a hot day! :tongue:

The type of straw I bring is not considered contraband and I have never had a problem with any castmember about having it. Of course it is also one that I would toss out after use.

I'm another one who brings my own straws to the AK, AKL and the water parks. I once had a CM inform me about the no straw policy. I then kindly informed him that I was going to throw my straws in the trash can as soon as I finished. He was very friendly and said he wished everyone would throw away their trash.:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter