Not doing DDP mainly because I hate leaving large tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really bugs me when servers circle/underline the tip part of the receipt, or write 'TIP NOT INCLUDED' across it. I always reduce the tip when this is done as I find it offensive. Next time this happens, I'm going to actually write something back so they know that I fully understand the custom and that their own petty behaviour has cost them a decent tip.
On one hand, can you really blame them? Many international visitors are not as aware of the tipping rules are you are. I'm sure it's not meant to be disrespectful or offensive and I'm sorry that you feel offended :(. FWIW, I am an American and I have also received a bill with the same information on it while dining in the Orlando area. I think it's more a matter of being in a tourist area than anything else.

Even at $80 per hour which I believe a server can make in some cases very easily in tips at Disney lets do the maths.

Full time employee - 35 hours per week x $80 = $2800 per week

Lets say they have 4 weeks annual leave and work 48 weeks a year

= only $134K a year

Plus $3 per hour basic which works out another $5k per year.

So for ease $140K per year.

Deduct say lets be extravegent 50% for tax and share of tips to others.

This leaves them with $70K a year. Yes serving tables is an unskilled job - I appreciate you need to be polite and have good communication skills but you need this with most jobs along with other skills.

Make your own minds up but its a fact many of the Disney waiting staff are on a lot more than ... doctors, armed forces and many others in highly skilled jobs that require years of studying!

This doesn't sit comfortably with me.

In the UK we don't have the same tipping policy its only 10% and not compulsory or a law. I'd like to point out it's also not a legal requirement to tip anywhere!

Even if the waiting staff were tipped 10% they would still be making a healthy living. (AT DISNEY AS OTHER RESTAURANTS DON'T GET THE SAME THROUGHPUT OF CUSTOMERS)

Is there a better or fairer system that could be implemented in Disney restaurants? Well I can think of several. If Disney want to get in touch I'm available at slightly more than your highest paid Waiter at $180K per annum :-)

I usually tip around 10% for good service in the UK and happily pay the appropriate % on holiday.

I went to WDW for the first time last yr but had been to about 7 US cities before then and I was suprised that the prices were so much higher for meals as often food seems to be at a lower cost mainly i suspect due to lower staff wages so when you add in a good tip it usually cost about the same as a UK restaurant.
I would guess that many people are uncomfortable with adding a large % on to already inflated prices.

The flip side is that I make an informed decision to still pay it because for me its either worth it or its not. If you are unwilling or unhappy to pay there are lots of great CS and offsite options.

Also - I dont know the US law but here i think (?) some places only need add VAT if you dine in - thats a 20%boost to meals that we know and accept everyday because its how things are here. I wouldnt expect visitors to be outraged by it?

Is there a better or fairer system that could be implemented in Disney restaurants? Well I can think of several. If Disney want to get in touch I'm available at slightly more than your highest paid Waiter at $180K per annum :-)

LOL, I can see where you are coming from. It would seem as tourist we are made to feel guilty if we do not leave the expected tip, and I guess for most Brits we would frequent a TS every day, so the tip spends became a HUGE outlay. I have also looked at the hourly rate for wait staff, as I really would NOT want anyone to be paid less than minimum wage, and I think this is where it gets confusing.

ie. In order for a Server to get minimum wage they would need to earn approx $5 per hour in tips, so assuming that they also have to tip out/pay tax equiv to half of their tips they need their 5 tables to tip $2 each, which would get them to minimum wage.

Obviously, as the base level for a Servers salary is minimum wage, lets assume that the US Government deem $8 per hour a living wage, so where does the tipping at 15 -20% of the bill come from?

ok so using the above scenario, if the same server gets tipped $10 per table (per Hour equiv) then they would earn $50 per hour in tips, less $25 to other staff/tax etc, they are then earning $28 per hour = £19 per hour - which incidentally is far more than I earn per hour. :scratchin

Mmm, makes you think, but maybe there is a flaw in my thinking?

Unless the service was bad then we def leave 18-20% tip and don't feel in anyway think that's too much. TBH I don't really care if they earn LOADS over the year, I am only concerned about what they do for us at that moment. I think in the main they work hard for their money, its long hours, hard work. I know the prices at WDW are more expensive then else where but isn't that par for the course with big tourist attractions? People have a choice as to where they eat be it on or off site, counter service or table service, but either way don't offend by not doing what is customary. If you use say, a London Taxi, do you not tip? Its not a legal requirement but it is expected of you. If you are not resident of that country then I don't really feel that you are in a position to decide upon yourself what is right or wrong regarding their customs. Its just plain rude.:confused3

ok so using the above scenario, if the same server gets tipped $10 per table (per Hour equiv) then they would earn $50 per hour in tips, less $25 to other staff/tax etc, they are then earning $28 per hour = £19 per hour - which incidentally is far more than I earn per hour. :scratchin

Mmm, makes you think, but maybe there is a floor in my thinking?

Yes way more then me at the NHS to with that scenario! But thankfull I don't have to pay for my medical insurance or air conditioning! Mind you I would swap an arm for AC at the moment:goodvibes

I'm surprised anyone tips to a percentage of the bill amount in the UK. The very rare occasions I tip at home (the service has to be exceptionally good in the UK for me to consider tipping) I never work out the amount as a percentage of the bill.

I have only refrained from tipping once in the US. It was at a buffet restaurant in WDW and the server had no time for us, so I left him a cent. If it happened again I would speak to management, but I was young and intimidated. Apart from that one occasion I'm probably too generous with my tipping, but I budget for it, and maybe it helps make up for the people who refuse to tip.

And all these comments about waiting being low-skilled work - so what? It's not a job I could do very well for any amount of money! Good for them. I doubt they're making the kind of money people here are projecting though because I'm sure more Americans would want to make a career out of it if it were that lucrative.

FYI - the NHS is not a free service - that's what National Insurance pays for.

In addition those that work at Disney and are working over a certain number of hours get medical insurance included.

I think you'll also find that the Electric and Gas paid in the UK outweighs the amount charged for Air Con in the US.

Taxi drivers only 50% of the time get a tip in the UK and that would very rarely be a decent tip i.e. about 10%.

Having sat down and worked out what waiting staff earn it's ridiculous. As a comparison how much does a top waiter get in the UK? I think I could be going for a career change :-)

I'm all for tipping people to assist with income but this is taking things to an extreme when waiting staff are earning more than previously stated professionals responsible for saving lives.

It would be nice if Disney was affordable for all a place that everyone can enjoy/experience but lets just face it's really not.

I'm surprised anyone tips to a percentage of the bill amount in the UK. The very rare occasions I tip at home (the service has to be exceptionally good in the UK for me to consider tipping) I never work out the amount as a percentage of the bill. QUOTE]

FYI - Trip Advisor states the following regarding tipping in the UK

"In restaurants where you place your order with your waiter/waitress and receive food, and your bill, at your table, it is usual to tip around 10%. The expectation does vary from place to place - in fine dining restaurants where you receive personal service, a tip would always be expected (while never compulsory, it would be considered rude unless there was a problem with the service), whereas in the most casual of restaurants tipping is not universal."

Having sat down and worked out what waiting staff earn it's ridiculous. As a comparison how much does a top waiter get in the UK? I think I could be going for a career change :-)

I'm all for tipping people to assist with income but this is taking things to an extreme when waiting staff are earning more than previously stated professionals responsible for saving lives.
It sure sounds like you are working yourself up to stiffing your wait staff because you don't believe that they deserve it.

The tipping issue has come up before. I agree that if you are on DDP and eating TS every night, after 14 or even 21 nights it can become very expensive. You have to bear in mind however, Disney often offer massive incentives to UK guests which US guests would never receive. On my November trip we booked SSR massively early and got maximum discount (30%) on the room, $200 gift card and free DDP. I find it difficult to get my head around tips making up part of wages, as we have a minimum wage in the UK, but have never not paid the 15-18%. I think 15% is acceptable for buffets. I think it is our responsibility to pay tips in the US at the appropriate levels, no matter the cultural differences!

On one hand, can you really blame them? Many international visitors are not as aware of the tipping rules are you are. I'm sure it's not meant to be disrespectful or offensive and I'm sorry that you feel offended :(. FWIW, I am an American and I have also received a bill with the same information on it while dining in the Orlando area. I think it's more a matter of being in a tourist area than anything else.

I agree that it's not meant to be disrespectful or offensive and maybe I've reacted a little too sensitively. It's just that we are seasoned travellers who make an effort to learn the customs of the country we're visiting beforehand. You're probably right in saying that it's due to Orlando being a tourist area, rather than anything else. :)

It sure sounds like you are working yourself up to stiffing your wait staff because you don't believe that they deserve it.

And clearly no idea tha your average US doctors earns $300k + benefits...and, of course, that there are dozens of other examples in the UK (train drivers get paid more than nurses, teachers, midwives etc. - but no one is protesting and griping).

But moreover, when did be okay for the customer to decide how much people should get paid? You have a choice - use the service and abide by the customs associated with it, or don't use the service. That really is as deep as it gets.

As it happens we always tip in restaurants and we tip the appropriate amount. We've also been known to tip more than 20% suggested!

I was merely pointing out that if you actually calculate how much they earn with tips its a lot of money.

Correction: what you think top waiting staff earn. Your calculations may not reflect reality.

LeaversOnTour said:
Plenty of people make more money than medics. And medics in turn make more than the scientists actually working on new treatments and the scientists who actually carry out the testing on patient samples (they're not just lab techs).

FYI - Trip Advisor states the following regarding tipping in the UK

"In restaurants where you place your order with your waiter/waitress and receive food, and your bill, at your table, it is usual to tip around 10%. The expectation does vary from place to place - in fine dining restaurants where you receive personal service, a tip would always be expected (while never compulsory, it would be considered rude unless there was a problem with the service), whereas in the most casual of restaurants tipping is not universal."
Thanks, but I am British. I've lived in the UK my entire life. Trip Advisor's information about UK customs for foreign visitors is really irrelevant to me (travel guides are to make things straightforward for those visiting and are not necessarily accurate). I tip in the US because they get taxed on tips. Waitstaff in the UK make at least minimum wage, so I don't tip unless they do something special. At a particularly fine restaurant I may make an exception. And I have still never heard of any UK natives (apart from on this thread) determining tip amount based on a percentage of the bill at a UK based restaurant.

Kath2003 said:
And clearly no idea tha your average US doctors earns $300k + benefits...and, of course, that there are dozens of other examples in the UK (train drivers get paid more than nurses, teachers, midwives etc. - but no one is protesting and griping).
Exactly.

But moreover, when did be okay for the customer to decide how much people should get paid? You have a choice - use the service and abide by the customs associated with it, or don't use the service. That really is as deep as it gets.

All of the people you list above have responsibility for the well being/safety of others.

I was unaware that a US doctor earns $300K. I guess it keeps inline with other salaries if a waiter earns over $100K.

However you glam it up its hard work, its custom and they provided excellent service its still a very decent living for waiting tables at Disney. I bet other waiting staff outside of Disney would love to have some of that action.

Correction: what you think top waiting staff earn. Your calculations may not reflect reality.

It was a question?
Plenty of people make more money than medics. And medics in turn make more than the scientists actually working on new treatments and the scientists who actually carry out the testing on patient samples (they're not just lab techs).

Your point is? I was clearly making a point that its a lot of money. You think its right and fair that a member of waiting staff in Disney should earn more in tips than a UK Doctor?
Thanks, but I am British. I've lived in the UK my entire life. Trip Advisor's information about UK customs for foreign visitors is really irrelevant to me (travel guides are to make things straightforward for those visiting and are not necessarily accurate). I tip in the US because they get taxed on tips. Waitstaff in the UK make at least minimum wage, so I don't tip unless they do something special. At a particularly fine restaurant I may make an exception. And I have still never heard of any UK natives (apart from on this thread) determining tip amount based on a percentage of the bill at a UK based restaurant.

You clearly have not dined out much in the UK then. Its common practise to tip 10% in the UK. Are you sure you've lived in the UK all your live? The trip advisor information is for all to follow not just foreign visitors. The same way its expected to tip between 15 - 20% in the US. Americans still follow this policy don't they?
Exactly.

Answers above in bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter