(Not so) Mad at trailer.

You should be fine since the GVWR is only 11.5K and both your hitch and receiver exceed that. You just have to watch that hitch wt. and not load unevenly.

How are you determining your hitch wt. and remember the draw bar and WD/sway system wt. which can easily approach 100+ lbs has to be added to the pure trailer tongue wt since those go against your receiver's tongue wt. rating.

Larry

Thanks for the reply I appreciate your input. I had my whole WD system on the tongue of the trailer while I was weighing it. I copied this from E-Trailers but this is how I figured my TW. Have you made it to FW yet? I saw in your sig that yo should be there.

(Tongue Weight (TW) is the downward force exerted on the hitch ball by the trailer coupler. In most cases, it is about 10 to 15 percent of the GTW. The tongue weight should also be taken into consideration when choosing a bike rack or cargo carrier.

Tongue Weight up to 300 lbs. can be measure on a household scale by resting the trailer coupler on the scale and placing the scale on a box so that the coupler is at its normal towing height. The trailer must be fully loaded and level.

For heavier tongue weights, place a household scale and a brick that's as thick as the scale three feet apart. Set a length of pipe on each and rest a beam across the pipes. Re-zero the scale to correct for the weight of the beam and pipe. Securely block the trailer wheels. Rest the trailer jack on the beam, one foot from the brick and two feet from the scale.

To obtain the TW, multiply the scale reading by three. For greater tongue weights, place the scale and brick four feet apart, rest the jack on the beam three feet from the scale and multiply the scale reading by four.

To determine the tongue weight for cargo carriers and bike racks, add the weights of all the items or bikes plus the weight of the carrier itself.)

Thanks for the reply I appreciate your input. I had my whole WD system on the tongue of the trailer while I was weighing it. I copied this from E-Trailers but this is how I figured my TW. Have you made it to FW yet? I saw in your sig that yo should be there.

(Tongue Weight (TW) is the downward force exerted on the hitch ball by the trailer coupler. In most cases, it is about 10 to 15 percent of the GTW. The tongue weight should also be taken into consideration when choosing a bike rack or cargo carrier.

Tongue Weight up to 300 lbs. can be measure on a household scale by resting the trailer coupler on the scale and placing the scale on a box so that the coupler is at its normal towing height. The trailer must be fully loaded and level.

For heavier tongue weights, place a household scale and a brick that's as thick as the scale three feet apart. Set a length of pipe on each and rest a beam across the pipes. Re-zero the scale to correct for the weight of the beam and pipe. Securely block the trailer wheels. Rest the trailer jack on the beam, one foot from the brick and two feet from the scale.

To obtain the TW, multiply the scale reading by three. For greater tongue weights, place the scale and brick four feet apart, rest the jack on the beam three feet from the scale and multiply the scale reading by four.

To determine the tongue weight for cargo carriers and bike racks, add the weights of all the items or bikes plus the weight of the carrier itself.)

O.K. you're doing it right using the bathroom scale method.

Yes, we pulled into FW about 12:30 PM today and just got finished chowing down at T.E. and checking out the haunted carriage ride which we will do in the next couple of days.

Larry

I wonder if ambulance chasers watch this thread lol. I'd hate to see it break on you Michael. If FR is so cool with you towing with an underated hitch tell them to put it in writing.

popcorn:: Not an ambulance chaser....I'm an ambulance driver...
Good luck finding anyone still working at FR I've heard they are laying off around here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter