Not thrilled with having to fly on a Boeing plane.

I forgot all about Northwest Airlines. Flew them often when I was a teenager in Michigan. Weren't they based in Minneapolis?

I forgot all about Northwest Airlines. Flew them often when I was a teenager in Michigan. Weren't they based in Minneapolis?
Yes. There’s still a large base at MSP.

The merge killed 2 main bases:
Memphis, a Northwest base. Didn’t stand a chance with ATL. Memphis was completely dissolved.

Cincinnati, a Delta base. Detroit won the battle. Cincy still has a very tiny flight attendant base, but CVG isn’t the thriving hub it once was. It’s a sad ghost town. 😢

Spoke with a Delta rep and she said to call back after the entire trip is completed so that the refund or credit wouldn't goof up any other parts of the trip. I will do just that. I'm not expecting it to be a large amount.

Interesting flight numbers category, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines chose to start their flights to and from Asia with the number 8, as it is considered a lucky number in many Asian countries. Flight 888 from Hong Kong to Amsterdam is sold out very often because of this.

I wou.d push hard for a refund (unless you want the e credit). This is a change they made.
Unless, maybe, they'd give you a credit for worth more than the price difference (I've had that offered for similar issues - get a cash refund for the exact amount you paid or get a credit for 110% of what you paid (or some such)).

We are on our way to the airport and a transformer blew on US 1. The whole city went dark for miles. I need a nap. 😂

Unless, maybe, they'd give you a credit for worth more than the price difference (I've had that offered for similar issues - get a cash refund for the exact amount you paid or get a credit for 110% of what you paid (or some such)).
That's true. But, we're only talking about the difference in pricing for C+ (probably $50-100), so 10% (I know you made up that number) isn't really a lot of money. And, what are the terms of the credit (have to be used in a year? Six months?), and are you likely to fly again in that time frame.

Yes. There’s still a large base at MSP.

The merge killed 2 main bases:
Memphis, a Northwest base. Didn’t stand a chance with ATL. Memphis was completely dissolved.

Cincinnati, a Delta base. Detroit won the battle. Cincy still has a very tiny flight attendant base, but CVG isn’t the thriving hub it once was. It’s a sad ghost town. 😢

Yeah, the Northwest buyout was really bad for Memphis and our airport. Delta had a stranglehold on it for a while and it was not a hub. Flights were infrequent and expensive and gates stood empty. Fortunately, it has gotten better. Southwest got into our market (though Delta sure tried to keep them out!) and that really helped.

Amen! I travel for work and if it's more than about 3/2 hours, I'll fly (helps accumulate miles too). A coworker drives everywhere. He's based in New Orleans and I worked with him in Minnesota, and he drove. NO THANK YOU!

I don't like dealing with idiots on the road, but then also see things like this... View attachment 858108
She was up there for a couple of minutes. At some point, doesn't it make more sense to take the bag down to get what you need? Lol
She’s clearly too short to reach - can you imagine trying to haul a bag down while standing like that? Instead of taking pictures to mock her, having offered a little help would have been nice.

She’s clearly too short to reach - can you imagine trying to haul a bag down while standing like that? Instead of taking pictures to mock her, having offered a little help would have been nice.
Honestly, I thought she was going to be done within a couple of seconds. It took a while before I even reached for my phone. When it was time to deplane, she had already jumped up on the seat and hauled the suitcase out before I could even stand up (and she was a couple of rows in front of me, so not easy to get to).

Yeah, the Northwest buyout was really bad for Memphis and our airport. Delta had a stranglehold on it for a while and it was not a hub. Flights were infrequent and expensive and gates stood empty. Fortunately, it has gotten better. Southwest got into our market (though Delta sure tried to keep them out!) and that really helped.
I believe that Memphis was originally a hub for Southern Airlines, then Republic bought Southern, then Northwest merged with Republic.

Other de-hubbed airports after several mergers and consolidations: St.Louis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and a few others.

Safely back in Melbourne. GRR to ATL was the most enjoyable leg of the trip. Lots of rough air from ATL to MLB. Still of the opinion that Airbus makes better aircraft. Still love Delta. I thought Southwest flew nonstop from Orlando to Grand Rapids but don’t see that option. Thought we would give them a try next trip.

Safely back in Melbourne. GRR to ATL was the most enjoyable leg of the trip. Lots of rough air from ATL to MLB. Still of the opinion that Airbus makes better aircraft. Still love Delta. I thought Southwest flew nonstop from Orlando to Grand Rapids but don’t see that option. Thought we would give them a try next trip.
Glad you're safely back home. Remember to call and get reimbursed for your lack of C+ on your flight to ATL.

My family flies out of GRR often, I am not 100% positive but I think it is only Saturday and Sunday's that are direct with Southwest. Frontier has direct to MCO too, and Allegiant to Sanford.

I have to admit...when booking two flights recently, I did check the type of aircraft and factored that in when selecting flights, along with schedule and price. I've never done that before, in years of travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter