NOT Upgraded

dis4me

<font color=navy>Has experienced the original Magi
There have been so many posts lately of upgrades I think people are getting their hopes up. Most people are not upgraded.Please book the cabin you want and will be comfortable with. My last cruise I met people who were miserable in a cat 11 because they heard they would be upgraded to a cat 6 on the internet and weren't.Upgrades are great when they happen but reality must be said.

BTW I was not upgraded for my 4th Magic cruise on 11/1( or any other cruise for that matter) and I had a cabin gty NOR did I expect to be upgraded. I am just so happy I received my docs today.:bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

dis4me,

I think you brought up a great point! Thank you for reminding people that we all need to book what we really want if it is that important to begin with!
Aimee

We fly out in 1 week. This will be our first trip in a Cat 11 after cruising 3Xs before in Ct. 6. I can't wait. My family is coming with us--5 cabins booked and no upgrades, but we are going to have a BLAST!

DIS4me...Well said, upgrades are far and few between, although we hear of upgrades here from posters, we don't hear from all of those who haven't been upgraded, because not getting an upgrade is the norm. Maybe we should start a poll so people will see how many posters DO NOT get upgrades.

Joanna

Periodically, I try to remind folks here on our Cruise Board that upgrades truly are few and far between. People are understandably excited when it happens and tend to post about it if they frequent an internet site. But, with the thousands of Disney Cruise Line passengers sailing each week, the percent of those upgraded is extremely tiny.

Thanks for the reminder, I agree that booking what you will be comfortable in is sage advice. Of course, I would be happy sleeping in a lifeboat at night on deck, if it meant I was on the ship, LOL!!

We are going on our 3rd 7-day on Nov. 8th and we did NOT get upgraded nor have we ever been upgraded. We did not expect to get one and we didn't. We are still overly excited about going!!!!!!!!!! You're right - most people do NOT get upgraded so book what you will be comfortable in.

I haven't gotten docs yet, but did talk with DVC yesterday re something else and just double checked our cabin assignment while on the phone with them. Still cat. 11 - the one we booked and will be happy in.

I was wondering WHY some cruisers get upgraded? (I've never cruised yet).:confused:

I did get upgraded so nah nah nana nahhh:p

now since i'm being mean it will rain my whole cruise! I hope everyone else gets upgraded too!:D

dis4me:

You've brought up such a good point. I think sometimes people hear and read so much about upgrades that they feel disappointed when it doesn't happen to them. This has been an issue on the Resorts boards, and apparently from what I see here, it can be an issue for cruisers, too.

We have always booked exactly what we wanted in terms of accomodations whether at a hotel or on a cruise, and had a great time, with no thoughts or expectations of an upgrade.

Thanks for the info. I posted a week or two ago asking about upgrades and if there are any tips for helping your chances of being upgraded. I did purchase the cabin I would be happy with but I would be ecstatic if we got upgraded (at no charge). How does it go ?????
"When you wish upon a star"

Still hoping, not unhappy

I was upgraded, and I'm thrilled -- but I did exactly what you advised: I booked the room I knew I'd be happy with in the first place. Thus, I could only "move up." I never EXPECTED an upgrade.

I must admit that I do seem to have some luck in this department. We went on two vacations last summer, and we were upgraded to nicer rooms on both trips! I cannot claim to have this streak of luck in other areas of my life, but I always seem to get a great room on vacation!

Nobody has mentioned WHY they give upgrades. I'm just curious as to why they give you more than you've paid for? (Don't get me wrong, I think it's GREAT! Just wondering... WHY?)

BWVDenise - I'm no expert, but at a guess I'd say it's because there is more demand for the lower catagories than the higher ones.

If DCL sell out of Cat 9's 3 months out and they've still got a load of Cat 6's left which by then, for arguments sake, they can only shift half of what's left, then it makes sense to give someone already booked a free upgrade because they've a better chance of reselling the Cat 9 again.

We are booked for our third Disney cruise and have never been upgraded. We do book what we will be happy with and always have a great time.

WebmasterPenny is correct about upgrades.

DCL does a good job of upgrading where necessary in order to sell the lower priced category cabins. Odds for an upgrade are much better during the off-season. However, never book a cruise expecting an upgrade. More than likely, you'll be disappointed.

For those who have gotten upgrades from an inside to a OV, consider yourselves fortunate for choosing DCL. Most cruise lines tend to only upgrade within whatever category you book. Odds of going to an OV from an inside are slim.

I admit, I got my hopes up to be upgraded... :o This will be our first cruise, so when I started to read on a few boards the number of people who were being upgraded, I admit, I got a little excited at the thrill of it! Well our travel agent wasn't the friendliest of agents and when I brought it up she sort of chortled and said "they don't DO that, whoever told you that must have PAID for it" so sadly, when I looked at my documents, there was the room she had assigned us to months ago.:(

We'll still enjoy our land/sea trip, it's our 5 year anniversary, we'll have a great time!:Pinkbounc

We did get an awesome upgrade, and believe me, I was pinching myself the entire cruise.(category 11 to 7) When you book the guaranteed category 11, it says you are guaranteed at least that category, and you may be upgraded. So I was hopeful upon booking, but certainly not counting on it. I was on the Sept 18 wonder, and I think in order to fill the ship, they did run low rate specials and upgrade lots of people. I wish we knew the rhyme or reason of why and who they upgrade, but being my party got 4 upgraded rooms I would say, book a guaranteed category they are running a special on, and travel during hurricane season, and yes, be happy with the room you booked in case you aren't upgraded. (Although now that we stayed in a 7, I don't think we could be happy with less:rolleyes: )

Originally posted by ez
We did get an awesome upgrade, and believe me, I was pinching myself the entire cruise.(category 11 to 7) When you book the guaranteed category 11, it says you are guaranteed at least that category, and you may be upgraded. So I was hopeful upon booking, but certainly not counting on it. I was on the Sept 18 wonder, and I think in order to fill the ship, they did run low rate specials and upgrade lots of people. I wish we knew the rhyme or reason of why and who they upgrade, but being my party got 4 upgraded rooms I would say, book a guaranteed category they are running a special on, and travel during hurricane season, and yes, be happy with the room you booked in case you aren't upgraded. (Although now that we stayed in a 7, I don't think we could be happy with less:rolleyes: )

We're booked in a category 11 also. Secretly my fingers are still crossed... :teeth:

9 cruises - here are my results

8 cruises had a stateroom assigned / 1 cruise was in GTY status

Was not upgraded on the GTY status.

One cruise, a new castmember had moved into the room when they were cleaning the staterooms and had the doors open. They were trying to find the castmember to let him know that "he'd be in for a surprise" (in other words, it wasn't his room and his room wouldn't quite be that nice). In the mean time, they moved us from Cat 10 to Cat 9. This was the first time that we hadn't book either 11 or 12 - just wanted to see what a 10 was like - and loved the upgrade.

And to my surprise, for our upcoming 9th cruise, we were upgraded from Cat 12 to Cat 9 - again, looking forward to the view. This cruise had been booked a year ago - as most of our cruises are booked about a year out so we typically always get a stateroom assigned at the time of booking.

When onboard, most likely will book Cat 9 for next year's 7-night cruise. The 9th cruise will be 4 days with the Land and Sea package.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter