• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nutritional Facts for Dis restaurants

Arthur27

Go Gators!
I was wondering if anybody here could help us out about finding nutritional facts for Disney restaurants. We are going to be staying on property soon and just recently found out that our son has type 1 diabetes. We have called Disney trying to get information for nutritional facts so that we can plan ahead and make sure our son can eat. However we have gotten nowhere. The people on the phone won't give us any information simply to talk to the chef when we get there! Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Part of living with diabetes is learning how to eat properly when away from home. Not all restaurants will have nutritional information. It is your responsibility, with the help of your diabetes educator, to learn the basics. There are resources out there. Many keep a calorie/carb/fat calculator handy. I believe one of the more common ones, that's been around for awhile, is Calorie King.

Others have asked the same question in the Disabilities forum. Searching there may bring up posts from other parents. I can only imagine your worry, but from what I read in Diabetes Forecast and other publications about how others manage, you all will adapt and everyone will be fine.

You may be interested in this: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/Orlando2016/

You have to get good at guesstimating in order to be able to eat out at a restaurant. You will in time. There are apps such as Calorie King which can help. There is a Calorie King book. As a type 2 I was referred for diabetes education which included meeting with a nutritionist. She had visual aids to show portion sizes. At a restaurant portions may not always be measured out for you, so that's when the guesstimating comes in. At Disney World I always assume there's extra sugar in everything. I carry some food on me all the time, and make sure to stay well-hydrated.

Thanks for the advice everyone. We have learned that we are adapting as suggested and I am happy to say we have had a successful trip so far. We do use calorie King and with doing some old fashioned homework it hasn't been a problem. I've come to understand some companies don't release nutritional info due to liability. That's unfortunate but I do understand why. Once again thanks for the advice.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was a law on the books that goes into effect any year now that will require corporate owned restaurants to publish nutrition info (or at least calorie info) on their menus. It's why McDonalds already does it - it's coming anyway, might as well get on board. Or maybe it's an Illinois state law.

OP, I'm glad things are going well for you. I've heard lots of good things about Disney and working with people with special dietary needs.

It is best for you to call the Dining Line and tell them to place a note on the ADR stating "Diabetes".

That is most likely not a good idea, RustyScupper. Dietary needs differ, and if medical professionals cannot agree, the opinions of various chefs and servers certainly will not be good for patients to have to deal with. Incorrect assumptions get made. People offer sugar substitutes and such which may have more carbohydrate and calories than the regular version, plus they do not taste as good. Each patient and each parent of a young patient needs to know their own needs and how to deal with the variables offered at restaurants.

It's important to know that even when nutritional information is offered by a restaurant, there is no guarantee that what is provided on a particular day will match the printed information. Fast food hamburgers are made in the same size every time, but bun vendors can change, side item portions can vary, etc. So we cannot rely strictly on the nutrition information available.

They wont' give you that information ahead of time because it is always changing, and any info they give you ahead of time may not be up to date when you get there. Ask the chef is the best they can do.

But Rusty is right, you can mention diabetes when you make the reservation, and then the chef and the restaurant know that they will need to help you with something. It will assist them if you can explain what the dietary requirements are. They aren't required to know exactly what they need to prepare.

There is currently no Federal or Florida state law that mandates all restaurants to post or publish nutritional information.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was a law on the books that goes into effect any year now that will require corporate owned restaurants to publish nutrition info (or at least calorie info) on their menus. It's why McDonalds already does it - it's coming anyway, might as well get on board. Or maybe it's an Illinois state law.

OP, I'm glad things are going well for you. I've heard lots of good things about Disney and working with people with special dietary needs.

That is for chain restaurants with 20 or more locations.

op..make sure that you test frequently..drink plenty of water, have snacks available and know that blood sugars go down faster with all the walking and activities you may do..I am type 2 but have to have snacks ready and drink plenty of fluids..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter