• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NYC transportation help

I would do a car service and from most threads I've read, all pick ups on debarkation day are across the street. I am assuming the porter that is helping you with your luggage will go across the street with you, can anyone confirm? Otherwise just take your time and wheel your luggage across the street. You'll have to do the same with a cab and cabs are harder to get and I would stay away from the hassle of the trains.

What time did you request the car to pick you up. We typically do car service to get to ports but I always have a tough time trying to figure out what time to request a pick up from cruise port to airport.

The company we used was pretty flexible. We were given a number to call when we got through customs. We never go to the MDR on debarkation day, so we hit up Cabanas, grabbed our stuff and were probably off the ship around 8:00. It took a few minutes to find our checked bags as one was in the wrong location. Going through customs was a breeze when we did it, but I've read reports of that not always being the case in NYC. I was phoning for our car around 8:30 or so.

The tips that several PP pointed out about the luggage is a good one. As I mentioned before, people get very pushy rushing for the train platform and those stairs can be scary. We were struggling with shopping bags and my poor MIL one year and she almost got pushed down the stairs (and they are steep). So if you have more than a suitcase and tote bag each, the car service might be worth the extra money and more convenient as it eliminates the cab ride to the train station and the wait time for the train. And since so many have mentioned delays (I haven't taken this route in years), it might be less frustrating, too. Good luck and let us know what you find out for car service.

Honestly, when we went, we just used Lyft and Uber, it worked very well and was a lot cheaper than a cab, depending on the size of your party, you may need to get the SUV/XL version of Lyft or Uber. Ultimately we found that Lyft worked better for us, as we also had a service dog with us. There was only one driver with Lyft that refused the service dog (which was illegal and Lyft has banned him from driving with them again) and Lyft gave us $20 in credit when it happened. Uber had a few drivers refuse and all we got was we are sorry, we won't charge you a cancellation fee. But there were many, many Taxis that refused and the taxi companies couldn't care less, so I do have to highly recommend Lyft.

Honestly, when we went, we just used Lyft and Uber, it worked very well and was a lot cheaper than a cab, depending on the size of your party, you may need to get the SUV/XL version of Lyft or Uber. Ultimately we found that Lyft worked better for us, as we also had a service dog with us. There was only one driver with Lyft that refused the service dog (which was illegal and Lyft has banned him from driving with them again) and Lyft gave us $20 in credit when it happened. Uber had a few drivers refuse and all we got was we are sorry, we won't charge you a cancellation fee. But there were many, many Taxis that refused and the taxi companies couldn't care less, so I do have to highly recommend Lyft.

Any company refusing a service dog should receive large fines and penalties. How frustrating for you. Sorry that had to happen!

We are cruising from NYC this fall and need help with recommendations for transportation from the cruiseport to the Newark airport. DCL does not have shuttles to that airport. If I do private transportation, what time should I ask them to pick us up? We have early dinner so we should be off the ship by 8:30, but I'm clueless on how long it takes to do things in NYC.

Help me DISers, you're my only hope!

Check if Go Airlink serves Newark. We used them last week for a trip to NYC from and to LGA and they were super efficient. They are probably going to want to pick you up 3 hours before your flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter