Oct 30 2010 7 Night Western (PART 2)

I am a little confused. Is the Dis trick or treating on Halloween morning or Monday the 1st? The first page has both dates listed.

:welcome: mandymouse!! :welcome:

Glad to have an addition to our board! Since you are here, and are from the UK, I actually have a trivia question for you. Actually it's a question we'd like to have an answer for. Today is my DS's 13th Birthday. We gave him his birthday mail from relatives while out for his birthday dinner. My DH's side of the family is from the UK, and one relative from there always sends British Pounds for my children's birthdays! I've never really examined a 5lb note before. So we'd like to know if it really is Elizabeth Fry on the reverse side from the Queen, and if so, who exactly is she in regards to British History? :) This is not just a learning lesson for my son, but for me too. :)

:wave: Hi there, we have just booked this cruise. I'm Mandy, and I'm a moderator over on the UK Community forum

I will be travelling with my hubby Paul and we've booked a Cat 11 GTY

I'll read through your thread tomorrow, and see what's what :)
:welcome: aboard Mandy and family! Glad to have you sailing with us!

I am a little confused. Is the Dis trick or treating on Halloween morning or Monday the 1st? The first page has both dates listed.

Dis Trick-O-treat is now officially scheduled for Sunday October 31, at 11:00 AM. Halloween (Key west day).:thumbsup2

I need some help and/or ideas!

(this is in regards to lanyards but I will welcome input from anyone!)

I have been working diligently on the lanyards as we wind down the sign ups and proceed to the next step. A thought occurred to me today that hadn't previously. And that is by dividing the cost down to each lanyard if someone does not pay for theirs then the cost per person for everyone else changes. If some have already paid then they would have to be responsible to send me additional $, etc. Others may then want to pull out if the cost is not exactly what was quoted, continuing the snowball. And we aren't even at final payment yet, so people could possibly still drop out of the cruise altogether. (Would hate to see that happen, but it could). So this could be a logistic nightmare.

As much as I would love to be in the position to absorb the extra cost should this occur, it could possibly add up to a very substantial amount. I was already not taking into account other supplies I would have to purchase like cardstock, and ink for example. So I was already facing some out of pocket expense. I'm just concerned that this could end up being a mess or a huge headache splitting it up per lanyard.

Does anyone have any solutions or ideas? Experience on past cruises? My last cruise did a "Lanyard team" where each member made a flat contribution ($10) and then enough lanyards were purchased for everyone to have one. In exchange for their contribution, these members usernames were listed on the backside of the nametags. If we wanted to do this option we would need roughly 20 volunteers to chip in $10/each. The order will cost appx $200.

Or I could add a "buffer" amount to the final cost and divide that amount up equally. For instance If the order costs $200, I would add say $30 on top and divide $230 up amongst those participating. That way if someone ends up not paying, their shortage would come out of the "buffer". If everyone does pay, then that money could go towards other supplies (the ink etc. or even ToT candy). Of course there is the chance that any shortage may exceed the buffer too, but I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing we have some cushion.

And although I would not be making the order until after receiving payments and theoretically could pull the plug and just refund everyone if too may people drop out I don't really want to worry about the mess that might be as well. I picture myself wandering the boat trying to find people at midnight on night 1 with one of those change dispensers on my hip. LOL!

So anyway I need everyone's feedback or any ideas you have, no matter how small. Thanks for your help and continued support! :goodvibes

:welcome: aboard Mandy and family! Glad to have you sailing with us!

Dis Trick-O-treat is now officially scheduled for Sunday October 31, at 11:00 AM. Halloween (Key west day).:thumbsup2

I have been working diligently on the lanyards as we wind down the sign ups and proceed to the next step. A thought occurred to me today that hadn't previously. And that is by dividing the cost down to each lanyard if someone does not pay for theirs then the cost per person for everyone else changes. If some have already paid then they would have to be responsible to send me additional $, etc. Others may then want to pull out if the cost is not exactly what was quoted, continuing the snowball. And we aren't even at final payment yet, so people could possibly still drop out of the cruise altogether. (Would hate to see that happen, but it could). So this could be a logistic nightmare.

As much as I would love to be in the position to absorb the extra cost should this occur, it could possibly add up to a very substantial amount. I was already not taking into account other supplies I would have to purchase like cardstock, and ink for example. So I was already facing some out of pocket expense. I'm just concerned that this could end up being a mess or a huge headache splitting it up per lanyard.

Does anyone have any solutions or ideas? Experience on past cruises? My last cruise did a "Lanyard team" where each member made a flat contribution ($10) and then enough lanyards were purchased for everyone to have one. In exchange for their contribution, these members usernames were listed on the backside of the nametags. If we wanted to do this option we would need roughly 20 volunteers to chip in $10/each. The order will cost appx $200.

Or I could add a "buffer" amount to the final cost and divide that amount up equally. For instance If the order costs $200, I would add say $30 on top and divide $230 up amongst those participating. That way if someone ends up not paying, their shortage would come out of the "buffer". If everyone does pay, then that money could go towards other supplies (the ink etc. or even ToT candy). Of course there is the chance that any shortage may exceed the buffer too, but I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing we have some cushion.

And although I would not be making the order until after receiving payments and theoretically could pull the plug and just refund everyone if too may people drop out I don't really want to worry about the mess that might be as well. I picture myself wandering the boat trying to find people at midnight on night 1 with one of those change dispensers on my hip. LOL!

So anyway I need everyone's feedback or any ideas you have, no matter how small. Thanks for your help and continued support! :goodvibes

Hi Nenner,

I completely understand the sundry issues connected with the lanyard effort. Count me in as being a willing be a part of the "buffer group" to hedge the bets of any possible non-participants. So charge me the $10 extra amount (and no I don't need an acknowlegement on the back of it) or add the extra buffer onto the final total and I'd be glad to pay a part of that too. Whatever works best I'm all for. I think it is great that you stepped up to the plate and agreed to organize this for the rest of us. The lanyards will be a wonderful moniker for our fellow meet board members on the Magical cruise through the Western Caribbean!!!pirate:pirate:pirate:pirate:pirate:
Beth

:wave: Hi there, we have just booked this cruise. I'm Mandy, and I'm a moderator over on the UK Community forum

I will be travelling with my hubby Paul and we've booked a Cat 11 GTY

I'll read through your thread tomorrow, and see what's what :)

Hi Mandy and welcome:wave:

I believe that we were on the same cruise together last summer on August 16th. I did not meet you, but I recognize your name. :) So glad that you will be sailing with us. :thumbsup2

There is a great group of people here and we are going to have fun on this cruise! i can't wait!!!!!!!!!!:dance3:

Vicki

:welcome: aboard Mandy and family! Glad to have you sailing with us! ,

Hi Jen,

Whatever you decide, i'm fine with it. The buffer amount sound great, this way if there's money left, you will have some extra money for kids stuff. I'm ok with what ever you decide, just let me know when you need me to send you payment. I'm just greatful that you're willing to organize this and do all of the work.

Hey gang real quick but I have received some new PM's regarding lanyards. If you have not seen the choices I will repost below. Let me know if you prefer one design over another. :)

Also let me know what colors you would prefer. We will have one color which will be the base (fabric or plastic) of the lanyard and the writing will be black or white.

SCDizneyDawn I have not gotten your PM yet but it may be hung up in the system so if I don't get it by tomorrow I will send you one to confirm how many you want. :)

Here are the options, these prices are estimated.

Thanks all, I'm off to work!

lanyardoptions.jpg

Hi Jen

I can't find a PM to you from me regarding the lanyards. Please count the 4 of as "in" for lanyards. No preferences from me.

Thanks,
Linda

So anyway I need everyone's feedback or any ideas you have, no matter how small. Thanks for your help and continued support! :goodvibes[/COLOR]
We are good with the buffer too. Thank you for taking this on.

Hi All:wave:

We made our final payment a few days ago and are so excited to be joining you all on the trip! I have a few questions about this wonderful thread with SO MUCH wonderful information. Unfortunately for me I didn't check back in time to get on the Nachi excursion with you all. I am sure you will have a wonderful time! Any waitlist for this event? Or does anyone have another suggestion for a "beach day" at Cozumel??

I noticed the lanyards post and that sounds fun, but are some of you return cruisers and if so don't you get lanyards from the Castaway club.... not that we can't use more! We also are DVC members so I am thinking we are going to get some from them as well. Just wondering if these lanyards are a better option than the Disney ones.

And finally We need your help concerning magnets for the cabin doors. This is my parents first cruise and we are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary! My mother is nervous about getting lost on the ship and I have to admit it is intimidating trying to find your cabin in a long row of cabins! So I snuck an old Black and white picture from my mom today of when they got married. We want to blow it up and put it on a magnet to stick on their cabin door but would like to add some words such as "celebrating 50 years together" or something.

So can anyone tell me how to do this? I have never made a magnet before. I would like it to be enough but not crazy big! Can I do it at Walmart or Target? Or is there an online store? I guess I can scan in their picture.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to sailing with you all in 87 days!!!

nenner, count me in on the buffer. Pm as to where I can send you $10.00 and I'll get that out this week.:)

cmbar, I would love to help you out with some magnets, and a very special one for your parents! If you would like, pm me a scan of the photo you mentioned and I'll do my best to incorporate that into a graphic that you could then print out, laminate and attach adhesive magnets to the back of, or just print it out onto magnetic paper. Have a peek in my 4shared album in my signature and if you like pick out any others you'd like. I can personalize any there. Also, Jordak and Milliepie on the Main DCL board in the thread called "Cruise Magnets and Graphics Links" do some Awesome anniversary disigns. I'm certain they'd also be more than happy to help you out! :)

Me too. Although, I can't help but think about when my sister came back from their cruise. She said the whole trip was awesome except she wasn't so happy about trying to explain why a guy riding a bike was only wear a tu tu. and only the tu tu. :confused3 My nephew told me that KW is no good for kids. When I asked him why? He said that there are no place to buy toys on the entire island except Walgreens. LOL.

If I can convince the wife, I'm fine in leaving the kid on the ship and let him play.

fine by me i want to walk around and see some shops or something.

cmbar, I would love to help you out with some magnets, and a very special one for your parents! If you would like, pm me a scan of the photo you mentioned and I'll do my best to incorporate that into a graphic that you could then print out, laminate and attach adhesive magnets to the back of, or just print it out onto magnetic paper. Have a peek in my 4shared album in my signature and if you like pick out any others you'd like. I can personalize any there. Also, Jordak and Milliepie on the Main DCL board in the thread called "Cruise Magnets and Graphics Links" do some Awesome anniversary disigns. I'm certain they'd also be more than happy to help you out! :)

Thank you so much!!! I will start looking. I didn't know you could make your own! Now I will probably want all kinds of things for our doors!!!

Still not sure about FE's. It sounds like fun but I fear it is so much work getting things together. I hate packing for the cruise! I feel so overwhelmed. Plus I don't really understand how it works. I mean if there are a ton of you doing them how do all the FE's hold stuff?? :confused3

This is definitely irritation as this may very well cancel 1/2 my WdW trip. I sorta knew that the prices were going to go up. Under normal circumstances, I would have bought early, but I have GAD passes. So under the old ticket prices we were going to go 6 days to the parks for a family of 3(2adults, 1 child). Now it looks like may be 3. Here's the math:

• Option 1: 6 days with GAD Discounts ($253.47new vs 240.70old)+tax 500.55 new 462.21 old 8.9% increase
  • Option 2: 5 days with GAD Discoutns+tax 479.26 new 452.62 old 7% increase
  • Option 3: 4 days with GAD Discounts+tax 463.28 new 443.04 old 4.5%increase
The penalty is for a longer stay, which is puzzling to me. I budgeted $450 for our trip originally. I figured I would fudge a little for 5 days and if the money showed up before we left I would gladly go 6. NOW though, I'm leaning heavily towards 4 days. It sorta makes me scratch my head. I thought D* wants us in their parks. I guess not really.

(this is a copy from another forum)

I would love to have some target practice with some water balloons and rubber darts at some CEOs. I guess I ll have to figure this one out. GRRRRRR.

Hi Nenner,

I completely understand the sundry issues connected with the lanyard effort. Count me in as being a willing be a part of the "buffer group" to hedge the bets of any possible non-participants. So charge me the $10 extra amount (and no I don't need an acknowlegement on the back of it) or add the extra buffer onto the final total and I'd be glad to pay a part of that too. Whatever works best I'm all for. I think it is great that you stepped up to the plate and agreed to organize this for the rest of us. The lanyards will be a wonderful moniker for our fellow meet board members on the Magical cruise through the Western Caribbean!!!pirate:pirate:pirate:pirate:pirate:
Beth

Ditto here! It's awesome that someone has taken on the task. Let me know where I can send $10.00.

Thanks again!
Linda

:welcome: mandymouse!! :welcome:

Glad to have an addition to our board! Since you are here, and are from the UK, I actually have a trivia question for you. Actually it's a question we'd like to have an answer for. Today is my DS's 13th Birthday. We gave him his birthday mail from relatives while out for his birthday dinner. My DH's side of the family is from the UK, and one relative from there always sends British Pounds for my children's birthdays! I've never really examined a 5lb note before. So we'd like to know if it really is Elizabeth Fry on the reverse side from the Queen, and if so, who exactly is she in regards to British History? :) This is not just a learning lesson for my son, but for me too. :)

I hope I am not butting in on your message to Mandy, but I just read your question and recognised the answer. It is Elizabeth Fry on the reverse of the £5 note. She was around in the 19th century I think, and she was a humanitarian who did a lot for the very poor and also prison reform.

I remember covering the industrial revolution period when I studied history, and I am pretty sure she was one of a number of philanthropists around this time, when conditions for the poor became more and more intolerable. I don't know whether you would recognise the term 'Quaker' but EF was one I think, and my understanding is that they were a movement of Christian people who dedicated their lives to help the less fortunate.

I am intrigued as to your children getting ££s every year - what do they do with it?! I hope that your DS enjoyed his special day, sending a belated :bday:

I just wanted to say well done for doing so much work on the lanyards. We have been kind of excited about getting our first Castaway Club lanyards which is why we haven't joined you, but if you get to a point where people haven't paid, we will happily step in to the group so that you and others don't lose out.

:hug: Thank you for the warm welcome everyone, and I look forward to getting to know you over the next few months

Hey Mandy! Great to see you joining us on this cruise (you are aware it is a Halloween, not a Christmas celebration I take it???!! :rotfl:)

Been spending most of my time planning like a demon on the Cruise board, not been on the Community Board for ages and ages :blush: If you read the first post on this thread, it has all of the info you need I think, Janice has done a great job of keeping it up to date. There have a been a few meets I have missed over the years for one reason or another, but delighted we will hopefully finally get to meet on the Magic :hug:

LOL Kristie, you know me so well. We had originally planned to sail on the Disney Wonder on the Panama Canal cruise in January, but only decided the other day to change our dates to this cruise

Where are you staying before/after the cruise ? We'll be at the Pop Century before the cruise and we'll fly home once we disembark

Anyway I'll make sure to check out the first page later today ::yes::

Thanks for answering the question Kristie, it saved me google-ing the answer (I'm rubbish with History :rotfl::rotfl:)

Have a great day everyone :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter