Odd Boarding Group Assignments

Lady_S

Earning My Ears
Hi All - Did our check-in last and got what I thought were odd Boarding Group assignments. Was curious if anyone had any insight into why this would happen.

We have 2 rooms with linked reservations. One with 3 guests (all silver). One with 2 guests (1 silver/1 first-timer). All guests have Disney transfers from MCO Hyatt to Port Canaveral. All guests are on the same flight.

I checked in Room #1 with 3 guests. When check-in was complete. Room #1 was assigned PAT: 10:45, Boarding Group 6.

I then checked in Room #2 with 2 guests. When check-in was completed 20 minutes after Room #1. Room #2 was assiged PAT: 10:45, Boarding Group 3.

Why would room #2 get an earlier Boarding Group? Is it because there was a slot for only 2 people in Boarding Group 3? I know it's probably only a 15 minute difference in boarding, but just curious what algorithm/business rule logic would cause this to happen. It's driving me crazy trying to rationalize it :)

Are boarding groups for DCL transfers actually assigned by check-in order? Or maybe some other random (or not random) way? I don’t know.

Are boarding groups for DCL transfers actually assigned by check-in order? Or maybe some other random (or not random) way? I don’t know.

I didn't check in until the following morning and got BG 6? Not that it mattered, I think they were on BG 5 when we got to the port and after the bottleneck at checkin/security, they were well past BG 6 by the time we got upstairs....I think they were on 12 or 13 by the time we left the restrooms.

From reading some Facebook group conversations, it sounds like the Boarding Group assigned at check-in might be a placeholder number and the actual boarding group is assigned the day-of (?). That would be consistent with what I read on this Board about the Hyatt MCO boarding Disney transfers by castaway level. So we would end up with a lower Boarding Group number than platinum, gold etc. If I remember, I'll update this thread in 30 days and report back our experience :)

In my experience, the PAT time is more tied into the fact that you are taking DCL transport rather than “status”. Do check to make sure both cabins have reservations from the HYATT and not the Airport. But in the grand scheme of things, I’d just board both little groups with BG #6. Cabanas won’t run out of food, I promise!

We left for the port on the DCL bus at 10am and when we got there they were already on group 6 so it won’t likely matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter