# of bags allowed

sayhello, thanks for your help but i think we are all good, again sorry i didn't mean to cause fuss

thanks everyone for your comments bad or good, I do not think i am being selfish as we are there for 3 weeks total (2 weeks before ABD) and have looked into Laundry machines but no hotel seems to have them so we are taking 13 days of clothing and if it is hot probably changing twice a day. if there were laundry machines their would be no issue as we pack for 7 days and keep doing wash. the reason we are taking 1 extra bag is to put our dirty clothes in so our clean clothes don't start stinking, who wants to smell someone else Body Oder or stinky clothes? we finished packing and we have 6 suit cases and 3 carry ons so 1 suit case is taking the place of 2 carry ons. As we have 2 adults, 2 - 11 yr old twin boys, and a 15 year old daughter who if she could she would bring 3 suitcases just for herself. As for the Airline, the luggage is not a problem as we are allowed 3 bags each, 1 carry on and 1 personal bag each.

sorry for posting as i definitely did not want to start arguments and being a negative post, and WHITE ROSE i am very much like yourself as i usually where 1 set of clothes during the day and another for when we are back from touring around as i sweat a lot if it is hot out

thanks again for your comments everyone

There will probably be laundry service at some of your hotels. But that is usually pretty expensive.

JUST MY .02 WORTH ON TOPIC OF "NUMBER OF BAGS ALLOWED" -

When I went to Ireland a few years ago, I found out there were NO coin laundry facilities ANYWHERE......you had to 'send out' your launry (from the Hotel) to to cleaned/serviced.
SO, I ran the numbers and realized that it was wwaayyyy much cheaper to discretely "dispose":upsidedow
of said dirty laundry items that were in question and just buy new ones when I returned to the United States.:)

Yes, this may /might appear to be just a wee bit on the "redneck" side of life but facing the issue of being charged $5 Euro to just have ONE pair of undergarments cleaned?? - SERIOUSLY?? -:sad:

End result?? I turned a potential frown upside down and in the end, I didn't have to pack a second suitcase and had even MORE room left over in my one 26' suitcase for souvineers and other "funner" things I wanted to bring back.

Hope this helps.

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALLpixiedust:

Your mileage may vary, as is said. I just want to share my experience in case it might help someone with packing.

Full disclosure: I'm still far from a "perfect packer" whatever that is. If sweating was an Olympic sport, I'd win a gold medal. And I'm "selectively cheap;" we may spend thousands of $$$ on a vacation but I've only every had room service once and I'm the mom saying "water only!" for everyone to drink not for health benefits but to save $2 on a $100 dollar meal.

Previously, I would NEVER have sent my clothes to the laundry. Have you seen those prices?

HOWEVER, sending some clothes to the hotel laundry is a wonderful thing. We now plan, taking laundry detergent sheets (available on travel websites and very light and easy to use--just don't touch with wet hands) to wash the "littles" in our room. We send other clothes to the laundry on an almost daily basis so that they're clean and fresh as we travel on. It is an expense, but although high for each item very little when added all together compared to what we gain. We gain less "stuff" to attend to, more room for collecting stuff (which I'm also trying not to do, but that's another story), and not packing disgusting clothes back in our luggage (and I'm only referring to my clothes being disgusting, not yours). A disadvantage is that we're wearing the same things all the time, but since they're clean we've still been able to make friendships that have lasted through planning other travels together.

Have wonderful travels!

When I went to Ireland a few years ago, I found out there were NO coin laundry facilities ANYWHERE......you had to 'send out' your launry (from the Hotel) to to cleaned/serviced.
SO, I ran the numbers and realized that it was wwaayyyy much cheaper to discretely "dispose":upsidedow of said dirty laundry items that were in question and just buy new ones when I returned to the United States.:) Yes, this may /might appear to be just a wee bit on the "redneck" side of life but facing the issue of being charged $5 Euro to just have ONE pair of undergarments cleaned?? - SERIOUSLY?? -:sad:
End result?? I turned a potential frown upside down and in the end, I didn't have to pack a second suitcase and had even MORE room left over in my one 26' suitcase for souvineers and other "funner" things I wanted to bring back. Hope this helps.

Your mileage may vary, as is said. I just want to share my experience in case it might help someone with packing. Previously, I would NEVER have sent my clothes to the laundry. Have you seen those prices?

HOWEVER, sending some clothes to the hotel laundry is a wonderful thing. We now plan, taking laundry detergent sheets (available on travel websites and very light and easy to use--just don't touch with wet hands) to wash the "littles" in our room. We send other clothes to the laundry on an almost daily basis so that they're clean and fresh as we travel on. It is an expense, but although high for each item very little when added all together compared to what we gain. We gain less "stuff" to attend to, more room for collecting stuff (which I'm also trying not to do, but that's another story), and not packing disgusting clothes back in our luggage (and I'm only referring to my clothes being disgusting, not yours). A disadvantage is that we're wearing the same things all the time, but since they're clean we've still been able to make friendships that have lasted through planning other travels together.

Have wonderful travels!

I'm not throwing away my clothes. I don't wear 'disposable' type items on vacation. I know some people purposely bring clothes they don't care about on vacation. Sure things get ruined and must be disposed of - but I'm not trashing my stuff! LOL I just can't imagine tossing my Disney T's in the trash, or my quite comfy brand new shorts I bought for the trip...and being a girl, the 'unmentionables' are not cheap! LOL!

We just don't have time or energy to spend our tiny bit of free time doing laundry. if you do, that is great, I just don't do it. I remember seeing this one couple on an Alaskan cruise. for a 7 day cruise she had 2 shirts. I know this because we sat next to each other or saw each other every day, and she had one of these two shirts/blouses on every day. During a meal she spilled a tiny tiny bit of dressing on her blouse...and two days later, she was wearing it again with that tiny stain. :o As someone who constantly seems to get something on my shirt.....sorry...I'm not wearing a stained shirt or have to worry about buying a replacement!

Ever since then.. I bring one shirt/pants per day, sometimes a dressy night-time option as well, especially in a warm climate. I am self-conscious. maybe no one else would notice I was wearing the same Disney shirt every day of the trip...but I'll know...!!

I'm not throwing away my clothes. I don't wear 'disposable' type items on vacation. I know some people purposely bring clothes they don't care about on vacation. Sure things get ruined and must be disposed of - but I'm not trashing my stuff! LOL I just can't imagine tossing my Disney T's in the trash, or my quite comfy brand new shorts I bought for the trip...and being a girl, the 'unmentionables' are not cheap! LOL!

We just don't have time or energy to spend our tiny bit of free time doing laundry. if you do, that is great, I just don't do it. I remember seeing this one couple on an Alaskan cruise. for a 7 day cruise she had 2 shirts. I know this because we sat next to each other or saw each other every day, and she had one of these two shirts/blouses on every day. During a meal she spilled a tiny tiny bit of dressing on her blouse...and two days later, she was wearing it again with that tiny stain. :o As someone who constantly seems to get something on my shirt.....sorry...I'm not wearing a stained shirt or have to worry about buying a replacement!

Ever since then.. I bring one shirt/pants per day, sometimes a dressy night-time option as well, especially in a warm climate. I am self-conscious. maybe no one else would notice I was wearing the same Disney shirt every day of the trip...but I'll know...!!
I'm with you on this!!!

And Febreeze is a wonderful thing. I'm just sayin'

Sayhello

Yeah, there's better alternatives than throwing stuff away.

Here's a secret as well: some fabrics hold odors more than others. Polyester, spandex and rayon/lycra materials can smell faster than cottons and denims.

That's my experience at least.

"SO, I ran the numbers and realized that it was wwaayyyy much cheaper to discretely "dispose":upsidedow
of said dirty laundry items that were in question and just buy new ones when I returned to the United States.:)"

Some of my clothes should prob be thrown out no matter what continent I'm on. (My favorite line from the "Sound of Music," she's talking about her dress when she first meets the captain and family, "The poor didn't want this.")

I'm always glad to hear everyone's suggestions so I can see if I want to try out something new.

RE: # OF BAGS ALLOWED........
"SO, I ran the numbers and realized that it was wwaayyyy much cheaper to discretely "dispose":upsidedow
of said dirty laundry items that were in question and just buy new ones when I returned to the United States.:)"

Some of my clothes should prob be thrown out no matter what continent I'm on. (My favorite line from the "Sound of Music," she's talking about her dress when she first meets the captain and family, "The poor didn't want this.")

I'm always glad to hear everyone's suggestions so I can see if I want to try out something new.

Hmmmmm........remind me to watch that movie as I haven't seen, "The Sound of Music." - LOL.:o
But yes, to compare and contrast:

On my 4 day WDW / 4 day DCL vacation a few years ago, I did 5 days of laundry while at WDW and then on the 4 day DCL side of the vacation, I did no days of laundry and just put ALL of my dirty laundry in a (about the size of 3 grocery bags of diameter) Hotel plastic valet bag.......and had a good handfull of those "Bounce" scented dryer sheets in there to help 'drown out' the scent that I knew would carry on over into my clean clothes

(I was a 28 inch & a 26 inch suitcase traveler but no more ever since the Airlines began charging bag fees).:headache:

Now, contast that with respect to my European vacation last year -
I took my lessons I learned from when I went to Ireland a few years earlier (since there were NO coin operated laundry faciltiies ANYWHERE there) and I quietly discarded t-shirts I wore up and back from my travel destination to London, Wales & Scotland as well as shall we say...my undergarments.
By runnng the numbers, I was able to save money as well as space in my one suitcase I was allowed to bring per the requirements set forth by the travel company I went through.

It's more that I heavily resented paying $5 Euro to just have (for example of many I could say) ONE pair of socks valet cleaned/serviced/pressed or whatever versus I could go to a local area Walmart in the USA and buy a package of 8 socks for the price of say $8 Euro.

Yes, not denying that being a Solo traveler means I can do more and have more options out there - hence the reason why I am trying my best to come forward and give a more sincere answer in hopes that others can see......weigh all options.....then work out what is best for them.:)

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:hippie:

Last edited by a moderator:

SO, I ran the numbers and realized that it was wwaayyyy much cheaper to discretely "dispose":upsidedow
of said dirty laundry items that were in question and just buy new ones when I returned to the United States.:)

Yes, this may /might appear to be just a wee bit on the "redneck" side of life but facing the issue of being charged $5 Euro to just have ONE pair of undergarments cleaned?? - SERIOUSLY?? -:sad:

End result?? I turned a potential frown upside down and in the end, I didn't have to pack a second suitcase and had even MORE room left over in my one 26' suitcase for souvineers and other "funner" things I wanted to bring back.

Hope this helps.

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALLpixiedust:

Love this!

There was a family of five on our Germany ABD last week and they had 10 bags (and they didn't arrive two weeks early like you are!). It was not a problem at any point on our trip. There will always be people like me who only brought two carry-on sized bags for myself and my son :).

As other people have said, you also get an extra ABD duffle bag at check-in, and they expect you to use it (although, we didn't use ours), so they are already planning for every family to have at least one extra bag.

Last edited:
Thanks again TXTransplant, we are getting excited after seeing your pictures and posts. Looks like we will have 6 suit cases and 4 carry ons.

Have you ever done the Ireland trip?

Oh please do with pics, we are looking at doing it with my parents and the kids, 12 yr old twin boys and 16 yr old daughter next year

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter