Official 2012 Princess 1/2 marathon thread part 2

Gear check is really dependent on the weather, how you got to the race, and what you are doing after it.

I personally like certain things post race (like an EAS protein shake, a powerade zero), and like to have dry socks, different shoes, and a dry shirt. If it's cold out, a dry sweatshirt is nice too.

If you are taking the bus, or there with others and may be waiting for them to finish, it's nice to have your stuff.

However, if you are driving to the race and going straight back to your car, you might not need anything or be able to keep it in your car.

Gear check is really dependent on the weather, how you got to the race, and what you are doing after it.

I personally like certain things post race (like an EAS protein shake, a powerade zero), and like to have dry socks, different shoes, and a dry shirt. If it's cold out, a dry sweatshirt is nice too.

If you are taking the bus, or there with others and may be waiting for them to finish, it's nice to have your stuff.

However, if you are driving to the race and going straight back to your car, you might not need anything or be able to keep it in your car.

Wow, never thought about that stuff! I know I will need food. Thanks from a newbie

Amy

Wow, never thought about that stuff! I know I will need food. Thanks from a newbie

Amy

Sure!! That's why this thread exists. :goodvibes

Also, I would be more concerned right now with distance than pace, for your long runs. I worry about pace in my short runs, and miles on my feet for the longer. Also, it's a good time to learn what works for you in terms of gear and such. Believe me, you learn new chafing spots after every mile! :laughing:

Instead of bag check, I put the things I needed in the backpack we got at the Expo and my mom had it at the finish line. So if someone is cheering for you that could be an option.

I booked my post race massage today and I am so excited!!! Last year I had the hot stone therapy massage at the Mandara Spa at the Dolphin and it was perfect!

If you plan on sticking around after the race at all, definitely pack dry clothes, but don't forget the dry undergarments too!

If you plan on sticking around after the race at all, definitely pack dry clothes, but don't forget the dry undergarments too!

Thanks again for all of the input on the baggage check. What goes on after the race? Are there activities/events/entertainment? In other words, should I plan on hanging out afterward or do most go back to thier rooms? I am not sure if my family is coming to the finish or not. If they are not, I am going to try to give them an idea of when they should expect me.

Thanks again for all of the input on the baggage check. What goes on after the race? Are there activities/events/entertainment? In other words, should I plan on hanging out afterward or do most go back to thier rooms? I am not sure if my family is coming to the finish or not. If they are not, I am going to try to give them an idea of when they should expect me.

There isn't really a need to stick around if you aren't waiting for other runners. There are a few character photo opps after you leave the staging area, but the lines were long when I saw them last year. I didn't check a bag last year since I was headed right back to the hotel to change and check out. If you are heading straight back to the hotel I would skip the clothes change.

When my parents come with me they stand near the finish line and I sometimes text during my walking breaks to let them know where I am. As soon as I finish they move over to where the runners are leaving from and we meet up there. I run with my iphone there so it's a bit easier to locate each other.

As for what goes on after the race, it depends on what you want to do and how long you want to be in your sweaty running clothes. If you have a ticket you could go into Epcot (some people staying at those resorts walk through the park if they have a pass), but I tend to head straight back to my hotel to get a shower in. They did have princesses last year, but like stitchfan said, it's a long line...

In other news... did my first 5k today! Yes, I know I've done things backwards doing a half marathon first, but this was just a fun run. It actually went through Sea World Orlando so that was pretty cool. I guess since it was my first and I don't know my splits from the half marathons I can say it was a personal best at 28:14! My race reports and pictures (one with a sea lion) is on my blog, link in my signature!

10 miles done, and I'm back home eating a ham and cheese Hot Pocket to start getting the calories back. I wouldn't have believed they could taste this good :rotfl2:

7 miles down! It felt great, too. With each new long distance that we do, the idea of the half marathon gets less and less daunting.
All our friends went to a beach bar here in Barbados today, but we buckled down and put in our time and now it's RAINING like crazy, so I'm glad we chose to run instead.

When my parents come with me they stand near the finish line and I sometimes text during my walking breaks to let them know where I am. As soon as I finish they move over to where the runners are leaving from and we meet up there. I run with my iphone there so it's a bit easier to locate each other.

As for what goes on after the race, it depends on what you want to do and how long you want to be in your sweaty running clothes. If you have a ticket you could go into Epcot (some people staying at those resorts walk through the park if they have a pass), but I tend to head straight back to my hotel to get a shower in. They did have princesses last year, but like stitchfan said, it's a long line...

In other news... did my first 5k today! Yes, I know I've done things backwards doing a half marathon first, but this was just a fun run. It actually went through Sea World Orlando so that was pretty cool. I guess since it was my first and I don't know my splits from the half marathons I can say it was a personal best at 28:14! My race reports and pictures (one with a sea lion) is on my blog, link in my signature!

Thanks again for the information about what to expect after the race. I can probably text too to check in during walk breaks. BUT...I also read somewhere that you can get set up that you can choose contacts (say mother or sister or husband or whomever) can get an automated text update as to your location on the course. for example, "your runner is at mile marker 9". Does anyone know anything about this? I can't remember where I read it.

Guys...theres really no need to text/call during the race. it's likely going to be a crowded course and accidents can happen. You can sign up for text message tracking and these days they can post your splits to Facebook/twitter if you want. Worst case your loved ones should have your eta, so have then come around 15 mins early. I remember during my dads ironman days there was no such thing as text messages or runners tracking and we always managed to find him. Racing is your time to shine...enjoy the moment!

I've totally texted during a race! :laughing: However, I would be sure to still be paying attention to those around you and keep it to the bare minimum.

Signing up for text-alerts for a Disney race isn't free, I don't think. I also like to have my phone at the end to find my friends, and have needed it.

I did my longest run ever today, at 21 miles. I know this isn't the forum for it, but wanted to share anyhow! :upsidedow

I've heard they have had problems in the past with the text and email alerts. The people getting the alerts wouldn't always happen. I know my mom got a few, but they were somewhat random.

Yes, the courses are crowded and as a general rule, it's polite to move to the far side when walking. I try to move over as much as possible and I make sure to pay attention. Plus, for the princess, my parents were on the west coast and since they tend to be my biggest supporters and not awake (the whole 3 hour time difference issue), I texted and then my dad texted back his cheers.

Princess isn't my PR race anyway, especially this year. I'm running with my friend and it's her first time. There are too many characters to take pictures with (those lines are also where I texted caused I was definitely out of the way then) for me to focus on a time. Now Disneyland is my PR race and that's a different mindset. I text there when I'm about to come around home base because my parents have definitely not gotten that alert before (and there's supposed to be one).

This makes me sound like I text all the time, but I really don't. Just at a few specific distances and then at the end.

Great job everyone on your runs! I'm hoping to get my LR in tomorrow. I spent 5 hours shopping this morning that has to count for some kind of workout, right?!

I've totally texted during a race! :laughing: However, I would be sure to still be paying attention to those around you and keep it to the bare minimum.

Signing up for text-alerts for a Disney race isn't free, I don't think. I also like to have my phone at the end to find my friends, and have needed it.

I did my longest run ever today, at 21 miles. I know this isn't the forum for it, but wanted to share anyhow! :upsidedow
I'm guilty of texting too, especially when I'm struggling and need some encouragement. I hope Disney isn't charging for text updates now. I know the Rock n' Roll races charge, but Disney didn't charge this past year.
Great job on the 21 miles!

I've heard they have had problems in the past with the text and email alerts. The people getting the alerts wouldn't always happen. I know my mom got a few, but they were somewhat random.

Yes, the courses are crowded and as a general rule, it's polite to move to the far side when walking. I try to move over as much as possible and I make sure to pay attention. Plus, for the princess, my parents were on the west coast and since they tend to be my biggest supporters and not awake (the whole 3 hour time difference issue), I texted and then my dad texted back his cheers.

Princess isn't my PR race anyway, especially this year. I'm running with my friend and it's her first time. There are too many characters to take pictures with (those lines are also where I texted caused I was definitely out of the way then) for me to focus on a time. Now Disneyland is my PR race and that's a different mindset. I text there when I'm about to come around home base because my parents have definitely not gotten that alert before (and there's supposed to be one).

This makes me sound like I text all the time, but I really don't. Just at a few specific distances and then at the end.
I signed myself up to receive the text alerts this year. I missed getting some alerts all together, and others came several minutes after I passed the timing mats. If I would have relied on text alerts alone my mom wouldn't have found me in MK. I texted in long lines, during walk breaks, and I actually called my mom when I was in Epcot because I didn't want to stop to text. I don't think it's a problem to text during a race, especially if you have supporters who want to know where you are. I don't run disney races to get an awesome time, so it doesn't slow me down.

Way to go Kat! :cheer2:

So I have been really naughty and haven't run since a week ago Tuesday. Either the weather has be icky (rainy and cold) or I have had other things I have had to do on my run days. Last weekend I was just plain lazy. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and try to get in 5-6 mi. My last long run was 10 miles on Nov. 27. I would like to do 13.1 at least once before the princess.

Not sure who was saying it earlier on about avoiding the doctor for shin splints so they don't have to hear "Don't run". I'm right there with you. I got new orthotics at the end of the summer but the shin splints haven't gone away. Part of m wants to see the ortho to fix my orthotics, but at the same time I don't want to hear I should take time off (even though I just took a week and a half off). I too would rather suffer through it and deal with it after the princess. But at the same time I don't want to be in pain durning the Princess and then after. We are staying till Tuesday and I want to be able to go to the parks and show off my medal. ;)

OK since I wasnt able to get a post spot at the front of this thread I just created a new Thread entitled "Official Princess 1/2 Runners Hotel List. Where are you staying?" located in the "events / Competition" section.

This has been updated and is now current! Please PM me if you would like to be added to it!

Michele

Alerts last year were free. My DH didn't get them, b/c he IGNORED the email / alert from RunDisney requiring him to confirm his address.:headache: So, if you sign up for someone to get alerts, let them know to respond to the first msg!!!

Congrats on the 21! How was it? Were you questioning your sanity or feeling good about it?!?! I've toyed with the marathon idea, but still am not sure about putting in that much time.

Here's a question - We're going to be at Disney for a little vacation early in February - do they let people use the track at Wide World of Sports?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter